Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking for shorts for my wife

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi folks,

Newbie here, first post. I recently bought my wife her first road bike in several years (Giant OCR3) for her 40th bday, and I'd like to get her some shorts, too. She'll probably be wearing them under some sort of shell shorts, and I'd like to start with something not too expensive (say, under $40, and the less expensive the better).

She's 5'3", 120lbs., and usually wears a size 8. Her waist is 30" (though I wonder if she measured it correctly--I'll verify with her). Her hips are 36".

I picked up a pair of PI Bliss mtb shorts for her, and they didn't fit in any size (the exterior shorts were most problematic). She's since decided that she wants to try lycra shorts with a shell on top, so that's what I'm looking at now.

There seem to be some decent deals out there on Performance Classic, Bellwether O2, Canari Tempo and Veloce, Sugoi Neo Pro, and Voler Equipe and Razor. (Suggestions for other are most welcome.)

I know that ideally she would go out and try on various shorts and pick those that fit best. But part of my gift to her is to do the research and shopping (she despises shopping, esp. for herself). So any recommendations from the experts here would be most appreciated!
    Last edited by skidiver; 09-13-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Shorts are so vastly different in so many ways that she really needs to try them on. The most critical research is in the fit.

How many miles does she expect to ride at a time? There is a significant difference in the chamois, fabric and construction from price range to price range. At $40 you may only get shorts that are comfy for an hour's ride or a spin class.

Also, on a road bike, loose the shell. It will only be one more layer of wrinkles and chafing opportunities.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

What a thoughtful husband you are.

Sadie is correct. Each woman's size and shape are so distinctive that she really does need to try them on before purchasing. If you look around the Forum here, you'll see some women prefer Sugoi, others like Sheebest, etc. I don't like Pearl Izumis http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=8872 but others just love them. My personal favorite is the Trek Criterium ($50) which I just got but haven't tried them on long 2+ hour ride yet. I like my Castellis ($80), too.

Sizing and fit for jerseys also depends on the brand. Some brands are better for fuller-figured women, some for short/long waisted types, and others that flatter the scrawny, shapeless types like me.

And... no undies and no shell!

i bought a pair of "mountain bike shorts" with a double layer. They were the most annoying thing. It was like having a skirt and a slip. one was slipping up
    the other, slipping down, with every pedal stroke. I think i have a medium.
    they are black, maybe she'd like mine? for 10 dollars they are yours, shipped to your home in the USA.

Mimi
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have some of those Canari Tempo shorts and the price was sure right! I like them for short rides. When I'm riding for more than 30 miles, they're not as nice -- then I wear my Pearl Izumi Attack shorts instead!

Karen in Boise

Thanks for the replies! I'll follow up on a few things:

1. I completely agree about the importance of fit. It's impossible to pick anything definitively without trying them on, etc. For that reason, I need to find a place with good return policies. Our local LBS, LL Bean, REI, velowear.com, etc. all have pretty good return policies. I know it's not the most efficient way to go about it, but part of the gift is at least trying to narrow down the choices for her.

2. Riding style: most of her riding is likely to be around town and short to moderate road rides, probably 20-25 miles max at this point. She'll be riding with the kids (and may not even need bike shorts for those rides), and occasionally with me on longer road rides.

3. Shell: She's not quite ready for the full lycra look in public, so she plans to go the shell route (and definitely no undies ). But the good thing about this option is that she can ditch the shell whenever she wants. (FWIW, I wear baggy, two layer shorts without problems.) Thanks for the offer, Mimi--I may take you up on it!

She might like the Terry Skorts too, shorts with a skirt covering them. REI usually carries them.

Team Estrogen carries a few different brands of skorts, here's 1:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=19298

TRY TEAM ESTROGEN!

Click on "Click to Shop" in the top left corner. They offer inexpensive and speedy shipping, plus a good return policy. And it's all women's stuff.

Also, if you call Team Estrogen, the folks at the other end of the line are invariably helpful and should be able to answer a lot of your questions.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I have a Terry skort, and really like it. I even wore it in a triathlon! It has a pocket on the outside of the right thigh on the shorts, which has really come in handy for me.

Right now the last-year's colors are on sale.

www.terrybicycles.com
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by skidiver
    She'll be riding with the kids (and may not even need bike shorts for those rides), and occasionally with me on longer road rides.
    If she's going to ride on a road bike saddle, she'll need the bike shorts. I can't do any length of time on one of those saddles without them.

I also strongly suggest skort over 'shell' type.

Try taking the kids with you and letting her go by herself on a longer ride, somewhere she feels safe. Sometimes, even if you have the perfect relationship, it's hard to build confidence when you are in front of the person you love and who has been practicing the sport for longer. For some reason, you feel like you want to 'perform'. She might not even realize that at first. But do encourage her to try by herself, too...

and send her our way!!

I third the Terry skort. I've worn mine for several seasons. I have the wrapper, so I can select the shorts/chamois that's appropriate for the ride. The wrapper was also useful as a 'changing room' at the end of some of our longer, dirtier, and further from home mountain bike rides.
    I don't crash so much anymore (less blood on the trail), so just call me Stephanie

I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood. ~ Susan B. Anthony