Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOTOJA epic

LOTOJA epic

To disable ads, please log-in.

I agree with Yellow. Any double century is certainly an epic ride. My first double century, Lotoja is also a competetive race. My goals were to finish in the light and to not cry during the ride.

Two days before the race I figured out that I had registered with the men's 35-44 yr age group and not in the Women's citizen category like I thought. I was a little bummed but I figured it didn't matter since my personal goals were the same. Unfortunately, this meant that I didn't get to ride with anyone that I knew. Instead I started out with 49 men that I didn't know. The first 35 were flat and the miles flew by. During the first few minutes of the race my sister, who was serving as my support, wrecked my Jeep. The officer wasn't going to let her keep driving so she had a major meltdown because she was so worried about getting to the rest stops with my food. Finally he gave her a ticket and let her go on her way. Fortunately she didn't tell me about the accident until the race was over.

After the first feed zone we headed into the mountains. After the first big mountain pass I was excited to see that my parents had made it to the next feed zone and were there to cheer me on for the rest of the day. I felt pretty good all day. I stuck to my eating and drinking plan and was able to keep my energy up. There were a lot of long stretches that I rode all by myself. I would hook up with a pack when I could but sometimes they were just going a bit too fast or too slow so I was alone. The scenery was beautiful and I knew my family and friends were ahead waiting for me and that helped to keep my spirits up.

After about mile 160 my stomach started to cramp up. I think my body was just saying no more. My energy level went way down and it was all I could do to keep going. I could see that the sun was getting low in the sky but I just could not make my legs go any faster than 17 mph.

The last 10 miles were the worst. I started to get a bit delirious and I was again riding by myself. Somehow I got off the road and onto a bike path. After a while I looked over and I could see other racers through the houses and I gathered my wits and got back on course.

The last two miles to the finish line were backed up with cars. People were shouting and cheering out thier windows and they were what pushed me through to the end. I did choke up as I crossed the finish line and heard them anounce my name and heard my family and friends cheering. What an amazing day.

I finished in 12:27 just as the sun set over the Tetons. Out of the 50 men in my group I took 13th. Had I ridden in the women's group I would have taken 6th. But actually, it was more fun to kick some boy butt!!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    EPIC adventure indeed! Congratulations!! Riding a double is hard. Period. I don't care what anybody says.

That is so nice that your family was there. I know it sure helps to have a smiling familiar face when you roll in.

Has your sister recovered?

Wow - congrats! What a great ride. That sounds like a pretty epic event. I'd never heard of it before. So you get your own support vehicle? Wild!

I love your "not to cry" goal. My first Death Ride, my goal was "not to throw up." Sometimes, it's the little things.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Not to cry... not to throw up...

You guys make these long rides sound like they're not fun. You'll scare people off.

Congratulations! Come out here to CA and do some more!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois
    So you get your own support vehicle? Wild!

Oh I get it - I looked on the website. USCF and they have feed zones and everything. That is truly EPIC!! There are not many actual races that are that long. I'm having a hard time thinking of any pro Euro races over 200 miles.

Extra good for you!!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

RE: Lotoja

Lotoja is the longest USCF sanctioned race. Less than 100 women even competed in it. Come on girls- get out there and represent!!!

Not puking and not crying. It is true. It is darn hard. But that is the reward- to push yourself farther and harder than you ever have and to survive!! It is worth it. I cannot wait to do it again.

I saw from the race profile that it's at some elevation and there are some good looking climbs. Any idea what the total elevation gain is for the race? I couldn't seem to find that anywhere.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Here's my big quandary: how in the world do you manage to not hang a left to China Hat to fish the Blackfoot River? If you successfully resist that, you still have to bypass the Swan Valley and the South Fork of the Snake. Of course, if you succumb you might as well go on to Victor and fish the Teton.

MP, the beginning of the race from Logan is the east side of the Little Red Riding Hood course. Altitude isn't too bad there. It looks like a lot of the route runs in the big wide open farming valleys but the mountains in between? Oy vey!

It's really tight reg for that race also. Though I may put it on my to do list . . . . as crew.

Great write-up, DHDiva. I would love to ride the rest of those roads someday, but I'd have to leave my flyrod home.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

SK - bringing your fishing poles with you will not help your aerodynamics.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Well, thank goodness I have no fishing poles. I have rods, but no poles. You obviously aren't acquainted with the snooty purist ways of flyfishermen.

Ah hem, after the Teton I guess I'll be going on to fish B1tch Creek (not making that up).
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Congratulations, DHD! What a story. I love it that you came in 13th of the men! I'm astonished that anyone would even think of making a 200 mile ride a race! Wow. You, yellow, all of you rock!
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Thumbs up

WAY TO GO LISE!!!!!! I HAVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT THAT RIDE AND MANY MEN DO NOT EVEN FINISH IT. YOU ARE AMAZING!! THREE CHEERS FOR YOU.
    Anita "Shiraz"

Hi DHD!

I just read your report -- CONGRATULATIONS !

I've never read any "Adventure stories", but decided to pop by and read a couple tonight.

YOU DID SOOOOOOOOO AWESOME! WELL DONE !

Originally posted by downhilldiva Lotoja is the longest USCF sanctioned race. Less than 100 women even competed in it. Come on girls- get out there and represent!!!
    YOU ROCK!!! AMAZING!

I'm very happy I stopped by this forum.

Peace & Love,

Denise

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".
    Immanuel Kant

Re Lotoja epic

"I saw from the race profile that it's at some elevation and there are some good looking climbs. Any idea what the total elevation gain is for the race? I couldn't seem to find that anywhere."

The ride started at about 4300 ft above sea level and finished at 6600. There was a total of 7400 ft of climbing. Ouch!

Re Lotoja epic

SadieKate,
    I'm not much of a fisherman but I was very tempted to join some river rafting. After that many miles one does start to reconsider ones hobbies. I'm sure fly fishing or maybe even butterfly catching would be less painful than that ride! LOL!

Hey I heard that ***** Creek has beer with a ***** Creek label? Do you know if this is true? I may have to do the race again next year and see if I can find some beer!