Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken Collar Bone and Depressed

To disable ads, please log-in.

One week ago today I broke my collar bone riding my mountain bike, the docs say I can not ride for 6 weeks. Today, seven days after the accident, I found myself depressed and realized it was because I am not riding. I know I love my bike, the first thing I asked when I finaly was able to get up after the fall was if my bike was ok, but to be depressed, is this normal? I am going to ride a bike at the gym until I can get back out there, but I am worried about my mental health until then. Anyone ever gone through this?

Yep

I had major abdominal surgery three years ago and could not do anything for three months. First time I have ever been depressed in my life. I was ready to jump out the window. I was finally able to start taking short walks, which got me out of the house. It saved me, and I really think it helped me bounce back faster.

I am so sorry to hear about your injury....I am sending you PME...postive mental energy...

Keep posting.....let everyone here support you....

Ruth

Once you're feeling a bit more comfortable, try hiking on the trails where you normally ride. Not quite the same, but it should help lift your spirits.

I can't find it now, but I remember reading an article online about just this: athletes who cannot exercise (or do their preferred form of exercise) do tend to get depressed. You are normal!

Somehow I escaped the beast of depression when recovering from my pelvic fracture in 2005, but that may have been because I was being visited so often by friends and family since my injuries were significant and I was housebound. Also, it was nice not to have to go to the office for a couple of months, I got lots of reading done and had some enjoyable time during my stay at home. Cycling was not much on my mind at that point (tho I did get on the trainer when I could - 8 weeks out from my injury), just walking again was my main goal. My husband broke his collarbone (cycling accident) years ago too, but I don't remember too much about his recovery (except that I had to mow lawn for the first time in my life!!)

Good luck - the time will go faster than you realize now, looking back.

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Do not worry, you are normal. I am so sorry you are going through this. I liked the sugestion of hiking thew bike route. Definitely not the same as riding it, yet it should help. Healing thoughts are being sent your way.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Thank you for the kind words and well wishes.

I somehow managed to skip depression when I was recovering from my crash back in 2004. I couldn't ride for many reasons, but I started back on the road to recovery by walking. My initial attempts were short, but they grew to consistently getting out to walk two to three times a day. I was really itching to get back on my bike, but I waited until I was cleared by the orthopedic surgeon (from a fractured pelvic bone). I had more crash-related health issues than a broken bone to overcome though, so my return to cycling was slow. Slow and steady, that worked. Writing about my crash and recovery helped too.

Listen to your docs about when you can get back on your bike. In the meantime, realize that while the depression is normal you can work through it. Walking or some other form of non-impact exercise may help too.

Sending healing wishes your way...

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Hi gobles...

Sorry to hear about what has been going on - both the crash and feeling down. I feel from everything you said, that it is probably a common reaction. I mean we ride and sometimes take it for granted that we can do so at almost anytime. Then it is taken away and you realize how important it is to your feeling positive and upbeat.

You'll be back on the bike soon and I suspect it will be more fun than ever after going through this experience.

Best wishes!

See if you can find some way to get some exercise to balance the body chemistry.

You do not even need to have an injury to suffer from lack of riding! You are normal!

Like these ladies have said...you are not alone! Get yourself outside and smell the air...autumn is coming!!!

...and well wishes, heal fast!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Major injuries that disrupt your life are depressing. It is normal to feel bad about not being able to do things you love. It is normal to not be happy about being in pain. When you body is in pain you produce more stress hormones. Things will look up as you heal and get closer to being back to your normal activities.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

I think it's perfectly normal to feel depressed because you can't do something you love... think how good it will be when you're healed! What a ride!!

And at least going to the gym should get those endorphins(sp?) going for you ...

Stay strong -

Pat

I can chime in here also. I am so sorry to hear about your fall and now injury. Yesterday was my one hear anniversary of fracturing my shoulder from a cycling fall. For me I was more upset that 4 weeks from then my husband and I were signed up for our first organized ride that we were able to ride together. Because of different days off during the week we do not get to ride together much at all.

Anyway, I was more down in the dumps because of that and thought there was a glimmer of hope that I would be able to do the ride. I think anyone that gets an injury that keeps them off the bike or their favorite exercise will feel down or depressed for different reasons.

For me it helped to do everything I could to keep myself in shape and my legs moving. Since I had to leave my shoulder in one position, my husband brought in an exercise bike for me and then I eventually was able to progress to my mtn bike on the trainer then eventually my road bike on the trainer. Of course I took walks.

I did like being home and did not miss the commute to work so that did make me happy. I was out of work for 10 weeks.

Sorry....to answer your question, yes, you are very normal.

~ JoAnn

I agree with the others that doing something is better than nothing. I cracked the Head of my left Humerus about 3 1/2 weeks ago in a paceline. I've been in a sling until yesterday. I borrowed a staionary trainer, but it didn't work out. I've been doing hiking(non -technical terrain, of course), of about the same time as my biking. It's frustating, but think of things to do after your rehab. Since you fell, I would urge to go do some Helmet, glove, and whatever other clothing that got it during your fall shopping. It will give you hope that you'll back out on the bike. Also, it's helping me to focus on my bike related plans after my rehab

So sorry about your accident!!

I am two months into a six month period where I can't ride for medical reasons.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7836

I am now a little bit over the whole "glad I didn't die" part (still glad, of course) and am teetering on the verge of self pity, with occasional lapses into out and out self pity and occasional crying. I would have ridden 6000 miles this year. I would have done at least three more big events, including a 500 mile race with a friend.

I have been running and hiking, and signed up to do a marathon next month.

But it's not the same as riding. You're not alone. It STINKS!!!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes