Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Loading into SUV?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey is there a device out there that allows me to load bikes into the back of a 4rnr that keeps them upright?

I've throw my mtn bike and some other folks' bike in the back before but inevitably they fall over and then the pedals get caught. Sorta fine on my mtn bike but I don't want to do that to the road bike.

Tks

I use an old Rhode Gear shuttle mounted to a 2x6, pop off the front wheel and lock the fork in. Works like a charm.

Similar to this:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...ku=1119&brand=

Electra Townie 7D

hey thanks. now at least i know what these things are called! perfect

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    In our Honda Element, we can load the 2 bikes in standing straight, front wheels first, without taking any wheels off. Then we just use a simple webbed luggage strap with adjustable buckle to slip through the side hooks by the ceiling (where one might hang dry cleaning if the back seats were in) and then pass the strap under the top tube and snug it up. That holds the bike against the side of the car and keeps it upright and steady. Really simple.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Queen,

Lisa brings up a good point. How do you make secure the back part of the bikes so they don't skooch around or cause undue tension on the fork of the bikes?

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog
    Queen,

Lisa brings up a good point. How do you make secure the back part of the bikes so they don't skooch around or cause undue tension on the fork of the bikes?
    I just slide my gear duffle between the bikes, if the skooch (and they usually don't) they bump into a soft duffle.

Electra Townie 7D

This is very low tech and very cheap but this is what I've always done in my SUV.

I take off the front wheel. Load the bike in backwards (so rear wheel goes up towards the front seat, fork is facing the back window, and then using a bungee cord I have attached to the seat belt holder on the rear passenger side, I hook the seat post or top tube and secure it back to the seat belt holder. I usually place the front wheel, between the bike and the inside wall of the SUV. Bikes are very secure. Never a problem. Can easily secure two bikes this way, one on either side.

My SUV can hold 3 bikes, 3 passengers. In that case, since one of the rear seats remain up, it's just a matter of loading the bikes (sans the front wheel) in the remaining space. I usually load the first one rear wheel first, the next one, handlebar first and last one rear wheel again.

There are all kinds of racks you can buy that set inside the vehcile. You can also just buy a piece of wood, nail or screw on a wheel mount and attached your bike that way. Check the internet I'm sure there's alot of this.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

see here! lol!

there are some ideas and pics (including a pic of my car that used the saris traps system) my pic is of our road bikes... but mountain bikes work on it too!

thanks caligurl. that was very helpful to see the pix

I've done a similar trick to what bcipam described, to haul my bike from Florida to Maryland. The only other thing I did was to wrap an old t-shirt around the chain, chainrings and cassette, to keep the grease in its place and off my other stuff I was carrying back there. Worked great, and all I needed were some bungees and an old t-shirt.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

I have the same set up as Cal and love it! I also have a 4 runner and it works great. Since my DH has a bigger bike we just drop the seat down but mine fits perfect. I never have prolems with movement. We also like that in is not mounted inside ad can be taken out and used in the back off our pickup.
    Anita "Shiraz"