Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luv my Selle An-Atomica

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've enjoyed lurking and reading other people's saddle notes, especially when I was desperate for saddle relief this past spring. My vote is the Selle An-Atomica.

I went from 2 centuries last year to over 5,000miles so far this year as I discover randonneuring (long-distance, self-supported riding). After each new milestone, 200k, 300k, etc. I'd cry in pain over the sores, blisters, rawness, swelling, you name it, I had it. But I continued to try new saddles - went through about 12 of the top ones and was about to have to give up on the randonneur dream ride of Paris-Brest-Paris next year.

Found an old thread on another chat room referring to this saddle & it took a while for me to find it because it's still new, but when I did I figured I had NOTHING to lose, plus the designer offers a return guarantee.

Ladies, it has SAVED me! It started life as a modified Brooks, but that's where it stops. The pliable leather and cutout were SO comfortable my boyfriend dragged it with us on my first 400k. We switched to the SA about mile 100 after I was already in tears and I finished and have never ridden another saddle since.

My friends are calling me a preacher, but the Dallas/Fort Worth area is starting to be a hot-bed for this saddle because it works! It's wide enough for my sit bones to sit on the saddle, not the edge - long enough for me to switch positions all day - pliable enough to move with me and not cause friction - supportive enough to actually be comfortable. And no padding to put pressure in the wrong spot! I ride the Titanico LD model (watershed leather is worth the money - I've ridden in HORRIBLE rains and still great)

My favorite Sugoi shorts wound up not working great because the chamois didn't go far enough outside my sit bones, so I've also switched to Assos shorts and right now, this is the PERFECT combination for me! Wish I could describe my relief and belief, but if you've had any saddle issues, YOU know what a nightmare it can be!

I think Team Estrogen will be carrying them shortly, but you can also check out the website www.mcmwin.com. (If you say Pam sent you, I might get a brownie point!) Might not work for you, but I'm proof you should NOT give up on finding a better saddle. Happy Riding,

Pam

Interested to know if this saddle is manufactured by Selle.
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

No, it's a Wisconsin company called "mcmwin." Their website is www.mcmwin.com and you can send inquiries, etc. to cs@mcmwin.com. His name is Tom Milton and he's extremely knowledgeable and patient. They even offer a guarantee!

If you're having saddle issues, it's absolutely worth a gamble.
    Pam

sella an-atomica tape

Does anyone have any experience with the Watershed-leather handlebar tape that matches the Sella An-atomica saddles?

Hey, TexasPam, I'm needing some info as I try to pick out a new saddle. Can you tell me what Brooks you were riding, how you modified it, etc., and why the Selle was better for you?

I'm currently riding a Brooks Team Pro S on my long distance bike and, after a year of breaking in, I've got to admit that it's just too short for me. No room at all to move around, my sit bones are perched on the outside rivets, I'm either sliding off the nose or impaled on the middle section, depending on the tilt of the nose. Just can't get it right.

I thought about switching to a B67 to get some more width and wiggle room but then I found out about the Selle.

So I'm thinking about the Selle but I'm scared of that cut-out. Doesn't that edge hurt? Do your girly parts fall through the hole and, well...get squeezed? Any info would be most helpful.

NutHatch, I have one and the cut out is absolutely unnoticeable (though the longest rides has only been 24 miles). There are a couple of people over on the bikejournal forum that swear by the saddle, one calling it her Magic Red Saddle. Mimi's husband, Raleighdon, is another who just rode a 200k on it.

You can find out lots more info here. The saddle needs no break in (though you'll adjust the leather tnesion over time) and has 10 cm rails providing much more fore/aft adjustability in addition to its longer length, which is much longer than the most common Brooks that I see and I, too, like long saddles. When you read the measurements, note that the width is really the distance from the idents put in the top of the saddle for your sit bones.

BTW, Pam, the company is out of Fairfield, CA. The saddles are just made in Wisconsin.

http://www.selleanatomica.com/
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

It is not as wide as the B67 saddle for sure, so if you have wide hipbones i'm not sure it would work.
    When Raleighdon gets his new bike, I might borrow one of these saddles just to see...because then he'll own two.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hey, Mimi, how do you sit on your hip bones? You using the Superman position these days for speed?

It's really the width of your ischial tuberosities that matter. I like wide flat saddles with long narrow noses. The Selle has those.

Beware that the thing is a boat anchor at 470 gms.

not sure what you mean, Sadie, the ischial tuberosities, i guess i am sitting on,
    like i did when i was riding horses.

and For everyone's information, Selle just means Saddles in Italian~
    sella is singular.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I was wondering why so many companies called themselves "Selle"!

Thanks for the info. This saddle definitely sounds like it would be an improvement for me - my ischial tuberosities AND my pubic symphysis, which shouldn't be bearing weight but is right now on my Brooks (that white paper at their website was quite an education!).

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    (that white paper at their website was quite an education!).
    what white paper?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

White paper

And check this one out - a movie!

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    . . . so if you have wide hipbones i'm not sure it would work.
    I think of my hip bones as those wanna-be protrusions just below my waist on the front of me and to the side, as in 'Simon says, "place your hands on your hips." I rarely sit on on them nor the hip socket portion of the pelvis.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I think of my hip bones as those wanna-be protrusions just below my waist on the front of me and to the side, as in 'Simon says, "place your hands on your hips." I rarely sit on on them nor the hip socket portion of the pelvis.
    SIT BONES!! DUH!! sorry. I meant sitting bones, ischial tuberosities, not the hip handle bones up there!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

That movie is explicitly illustrative! LOL