Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Gloves To Fit Long Fingers & Nails

To disable ads, please log-in.

I currently don't own any cold weather gear, and am getting ready to change that.

Last year, I started the search for full fingered gloves, with little luck due to two things on the fit: 1) I have long fingers for my hand size width, and 2) I have long manicured nails--gels, french pink & whites. I get lots of comments about the nails. You either love them or hate them....or some say that would love to have them, but they could never do anything with their hands. Well, I love them, and can type on the pc, even so at work, etc.

So, despite the advice of one LBS, that I should just "cut my nails off" in order to find bike gloves that fit me is just "boy hog wash" . I can NOT be the only lady in the world that has my hand fit situation that rides a bike! I thought if anyone would have some picks on gloves to fit me, you ladies would know.

My hand width measures about 7 inches snuggly across the knuckles. The length of the base of my palm, to the tip of the middle finger nail is about 7 1/2 inches. The only fingerless gloves I have owned are found on this web site, Pearl Izumi Gel Lite Tour Glove, and inside my glove that fits now says "S-M". My hands are not really that "thick & meaty" but more wide, and more "skinny/boney"--kinda think of a musician's hands.

If the post will take it, I am going to attach a pic of my hand to complete the puzzle search (sorry just the cell cam quality, but you'll get the idea). No glove size charts that I have found depicts finger length? Any "trial and error" picks are appreciated...and bonus, what thickness/warmth for what temps/conditions--new to cycling, and still learning. Thanks Ladies!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MlongFingersNails.jpg 
Views:	1782 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	3966  

I have long skinny hands and long fingers and have had surprisingly good luck with Specialized MEN'S gloves in size small. The finger-bits seem to be a touch longer than the women's med, and they just feel better.

For winter wear, try plain ol' wool knit gloves (very flexible and stretchable) with leather palms and finger grips. The index finger of my beloved Smartwool gloves finally fell apart last winter, so I'll be out looking for a new pair soon.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thx Knotted...Lambs Make Me Itch, whaaa...

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I have long skinny hands and long fingers and have had surprisingly good luck with Specialized MEN'S gloves in size small. The finger-bits seem to be a touch longer than the women's med, and they just feel better.

For winter wear, try plain ol' wool knit gloves (very flexible and stretchable) with leather palms and finger grips. The index finger of my beloved Smartwool gloves finally fell apart last winter, so I'll be out looking for a new pair soon.
    Thanks for the tip on going to men's gloves for extra finger length! I found the men's gloves on Specialized web site, with a couple cold choice. Yes, I would LOVE to be able to wear wool like the rest of the "normal world", but my skin is very sensitive (and fair if you can tell in the pic) it makes me itch and I usually turn red rashy skin looking from wool, can't even wear pretty cashmere sweaters in the winter...whaaa

Where do you live? How cold does it get? When the weather is cool but not downright cold I like riding in glove liners under my fingerless biking gloves. Depending on how cold it is for you, maybe this would work.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

MDHillSlug...how cold does it gets...

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Where do you live? How cold does it get? When the weather is cool but not downright cold I like riding in glove liners under my fingerless biking gloves. Depending on how cold it is for you, maybe this would work.
    I live in the midwest. So, not Alaska by any means lol , but normal seasonal changes.

Just got my bike in September last year, so the coldest I took off in, without proper gear I now know, was about 52 degrees F at dinner hour 6-7pm-ish? in October. I was so desperate to get out for a ride after work, I did just what you said. I wore my fingerless gloves, and put a stretch knit pair underneath the bike gloves. BTW...talk about "FRED" on the stretch gloves...they were a pair I dug out of the closet that my TomBoy daughter rejected because they were pink and had the cartoon characters "The Power Puff Girls" on them-lol. It was chilly cuz no wind cutting properties with the knit fabric, but kept my fingers from feeling like they were gonna fall off on a short hour ride.

So, I would ride further, and into colder conditions if I have proper stuff to help me stay warm. All my bodyfat is in my good ole bootie , and none on the upper body (my ribs show) since I lost 40#, so I kinda am a cry baby about being cold all the time --less overall bodyfat does that to you. But I love my bike, and if I could keep warm, I would go for it. Actually Fall is my favorite season, and I did enjoy riding in the colder weather...maybe I'm crazy on that one, don't know for sure .

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    If you ride in 25 degrees F and had to wear 2 pairs of long fingered gloves plus mittens to keep your fingers from freezing on the bike.... you'd probably be putting biking way ahead of fake nails on your priority list by that time. Not trying to be catty- I used to have long nails too once upon a time. But then I started playing music and they simply did not fit into my lifestyle anymore.

Now I obsess about my leg muscles instead.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death...of my nails?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    If you ride in 25 degrees F and had to wear 2 pairs of long fingered gloves plus mittens to keep your fingers from freezing on the bike.... you'd probably be putting biking way ahead of fake nails on your priority list by that time. Not trying to be catty- I used to have long nails too once upon a time. But then I started playing music and they simply did not fit into my lifestyle anymore.

Now I obsess about my leg muscles instead.
    Lisa SH.. so, Okaayyy sista, what are ya trying to say ..."give me liberty, or give me death!"... meaning, what's it gonna be g/f..."the Bike, or the Nails"! Well, yes, if I HAD to chose between my baby bike, and my beautiful nails...*Deep 12-step-program-for-short-manicures Breath" ...I would chose..MY BIKE!

HOWEVER...I would have to save the cut off nails and glue them to the ends of my full fingered cycling gloves/mittens for my current "dog protection program". Yes, since I look like a cat, which btw...Cat Woman on the Batman tv show years ago as kid was my feminist idol...and Wonder Woman was right up there also, I scare dogs away by giving them my best mean alley cat meow, and flash the nails-LOL .

On a serious note, even if my nails were short, I do have really long fingers in comparison to the rest of my hand size. So, I think Knotted's tip on buying men's gloves might work for me either way. Gee, now that's irony...my extreme feminist manicure in a man's glove?!?!

BTW...no "cattiness" offense taken ... I know what you mean . Guess I'm just with that Georgena Terry chick who thought ladies shouldn't have to settle for a fit on a boy's bike, just because they liked a male dominant sport... if I ever sew lady's bike gloves in my basement on my sewing machine specifically for broads who like a long manicure, I'll blog about it-LOL! I'm that kind of a crazy. Thanks, Lisa...

Kitsune06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post

I'm with Knot. I have smallish palms but long, thin fingers, and though I tend to like women's gloves just b/c they tend to be on sale, mens' tend to be long enough in the fingers. The only unfortunate thing is that a lot of mens' gloves are for men with thick boy fingers instead of long, slender womans' fingers... so *shrug* That said, I think the GF would kill me if my nails looked anything like that.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    HOWEVER...I would have to save the cut off nails and glue them to the ends of my full fingered cycling gloves/mittens for my current "dog protection program". Yes, since I look like a cat, which btw...Cat Woman on the Batman tv show years ago as kid was my feminist idol...and Wonder Woman was right up there also, I scare dogs away by giving them my best mean alley cat meow, and flash the nails-LOL .
    But cats RETRACT their nails in discreetly when not in use. I suspect a cat would think it rather vulgar to have one's nails extended all the time.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Men's gloves and thickness, hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    I'm with Knot. I have smallish palms but long, thin fingers, and though I tend to like women's gloves just b/c they tend to be on sale, mens' tend to be long enough in the fingers. The only unfortunate thing is that a lot of mens' gloves are for men with thick boy fingers instead of long, slender womans' fingers... so *shrug* That said, I think the GF would kill me if my nails looked anything like that.
    I agree about the men's gloves in that I think their hands overall, fingers included, are made to fit thickness, as well as extra size and length. Think the camp for long lady fingers is that of men's sizing. Maybe even a stretchy liner glove might give me better fit under a man sized glove and take up the slack for the thickness, hmmm.

Yep, like I put in the original posted question, you either love the nails or hate the nails....it's feast or famine....

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up giving up my long finger nails for rock climbing. There's just no compromise there; long nails and climbing just don't mix. Regardless of my nails, I have largish hands and long fingers and I have a terrible time finding women's gloves to fit. If I try enough, I can sometimes find one that'll work. Other times I settle for men's.

How much too short do gloves tend to be for you? If it's only a little bit would you consider shortening your nails some without giving them up completely?

My problem isn't my nails, but I definitely feel your pain.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Lisa SH...Social Misunderstanding Clarified...

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    But cats RETRACT their nails in discreetly when not in use. I suspect a cat would think it rather vulgar to have one's nails extended all the time.
    Ohhhh...thanks, Lisa SH... that clears up the question why in my mind that I am social outcast in the feline world... I have offended my own kind . They think I am on the attack, and run! It' clear now... crazy kitty coming, scatter! Oh my... thanks for the tip!

BTW...besides nails, I want those leg muscles of yours too...whaaaa ..but I know there's only one way to get that...more pedaling for me!

MdHillSlug...That's Good Compromise Idea

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I ended up giving up my long finger nails for rock climbing. There's just no compromise there; long nails and climbing just don't mix. Regardless of my nails, I have largish hands and long fingers and I have a terrible time finding women's gloves to fit. If I try enough, I can sometimes find one that'll work. Other times I settle for men's.

How much too short do gloves tend to be for you? If it's only a little bit would you consider shortening your nails some without giving them up completely?

My problem isn't my nails, but I definitely feel your pain.
    Thanks for the compromise idea . I guess once I glove shop some more, I'll see if just a bit shorter might work. Going less length for a few cooler months of the year, when I need full fingered gloves, would not kill me off, vs giving it up totally.

At holiday times, when even ladies who don't normally have nails all year, will sometimes get a set for a special party, etc. Ahh, snow on the ground and road, no riding for me . So, they could be longer then...and still summer months. I knew you ladies would help me with some type of a 12-step program to find a way to "have both" .

Wow, the rock climbing is pretty cool ! Yes, no way on the nails for that one! That's one nice thing about cycling as a sport in the nail department, they are protected on the bike...unless ya wreck, then you have bigger problems of things breaking besides just a nail. Thanks!

Minus the finger nails, that could be a picture of my hand - fair skin & all. I held my hand up next to the monitor & it was creepy how similar our hands are in shape!

I've given up on women's gloves - my palm is too wide & fingers too long to fit, especially if there is any special palm cushion going on. Mens only ~ which fortunately works for cycling gloves, but leaves me in a world of hurt for regular winter gloves if I'm looking for anything remotely feminine. I like the fit of Novara gloves at REI.

For My Hand Twin...

Quote Originally Posted by Nokomis View Post
    Minus the finger nails, that could be a picture of my hand - fair skin & all. I held my hand up next to the monitor & it was creepy how similar our hands are in shape!

I've given up on women's gloves - my palm is too wide & fingers too long to fit, especially if there is any special palm cushion going on. Mens only ~ which fortunately works for cycling gloves, but leaves me in a world of hurt for regular winter gloves if I'm looking for anything remotely feminine. I like the fit of Novara gloves at REI.
    Nokomis....hmm, maybe we were seperated at birth somehow? Having a twin running around out there can sometimes can in handy...it wasn't me, it must have been my twin lol!

Ok, this will really wig you out even more...that pic next to your name in the post, is my favorite jersey artware! Think that came out last year??? I don't own it, but I just love it! So cool! Oooooo...are the planets lining up???

I have to get size large ladies gloves for winter as well for regular stuff. My favorite pick is Isotoner's. They are pricey normally, but good gloves. I usually buy leather, sometimes they run snugged in the palm and fit to start with, because leather is intended to stretch.

Guess I'm going for guys cycling gloves on my search. Thanks for the input!