Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2014 summer touring, where did everyone go??

To disable ads, please log-in.

With the new school year starting and fall right around the corner I'm getting ready for a winter of planning for next summer's bike tour and bike overnights.

This summer I rode the C&O and GAP trails with my niece. I'll post a link to my crazyguyonabike journal when it's ready. Until then I hoped to hear what the rest of you did on your summer bike trips??
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

I'm trying to forget how close winter is, and getting closer with each (earlier) sunset.

I only do one-day rides, generally local. But one of my friends did the Michigander ride this summer, and has done it before. She liked it very much (despite some rain at the beginning). Another friend enjoyed a multi-day ride from the mountains of northern California to San Francisco. She's been climbing like a pro ever since she came back.

(Several other friends rode the GAP this summer, also.)

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Took 5 days to ride from Bronnoysund to Bodo on the northern Norway coast. One of my life’s top favorite rides!
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

My tour is going to happen the first 2 weeks in October. Getting very excited, but don't feel especially prepared!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaC View Post
    Took 5 days to ride from Bronnoysund to Bodo on the northern Norway coast. One of my life’s top favorite rides!
    RebeccaC, will you be posting any pictures of that Norway ride? It sounds gorgeous.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My tour is going to happen the first 2 weeks in October. Getting very excited, but don't feel especially prepared!
    Where are you going? Do tell all

Rebecca, we would love to see Norway pictures!

Riding from Lisbon to the border of Spain. We leave Oct. 3.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Riding from Lisbon to the border of Spain. We leave Oct. 3.
    OOOOOOOOO Exciting!!!!!!!!!

Hartmame would love to see your tour journal when you have it ready...

Our biggest adventure (together anyway) was biking from Vancouver, BC back to the Seattle area. We took a train with our bikes up to Vancouver and stayed in Richmond overnight the first night (south of Vancouver a bit). We stayed on the route recommended by Adventure Cycling, but found the roads and traffic from the Vancouver area to be very difficult. Some areas of high truck traffic and some confusing directions. Oh, and several gnarly hills to boot. Thank goodness we had our smart phones, but we had limited cell service in some areas and didn't want to pay for the expensive data downloads in a foreign country... had some very, very kind people point us in the right direction a few times.

Once we made it past the US border, going south was a breeze! We had beautiful weather the whole time. And other than a scroungy hotel in Blaine, it was perfect in every way just about, scenic and low traffic roads, just rolling hills. We also stayed overnight in Bellingham and LaConner, so no day was terribly long... And we were hotel touring, no camping. I am not a camping girl, to say the least.

We are thinking our next overnight touring might be back up to Canada, this time Victoria, maybe next month. Via the ferry from Port Angeles, which would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmame View Post
    With the new school year starting and fall right around the corner I'm getting ready for a winter of planning for next summer's bike tour and bike overnights.

This summer I rode the C&O and GAP trails with my niece. I'll post a link to my crazyguyonabike journal when it's ready. Until then I hoped to hear what the rest of you did on your summer bike trips??
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I leave in exactly 7 days (almost to the hour) for Lisbon.
    I think I have everything i need; bought a travel sized hair dryer to complement my little flat iron, new travel bottles for my hygiene stuff, and a couple of new sports bras. I have so much cycling stuff, I didn't need to buy anything new, except to replace a couple of pairs of shorts. So far, it looks like the weather will be between 60-75, although there could be rain (praying there won't be). I am leading 2 forty mile rides this weekend; after that, I might commute one day and perhaps another small ride, but I am going to rest. We fly Friday night, get there Sat. morning, and the tour starts Monday morning, with a walking tour of Lisbon. I should be all adjusted to the time change by Tuesday. Day 5 has the long and partly steep climb.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

We stayed way to close to home this summer - all my distance trips were in the car to Montana and Yellowstone for family stuff.
    Anyhooo, despite that we did several S24O's all on dirt and gravel backroads. Has been fun. Next weekend we head back out to the desert and I am looking forward to some "flatter" trails after
    major hill climbing last week. I haven't loaded Bernard (my pavement touring bike since May), has all been on the Surly ECR.
    Our plan is to head to Texas in January for a nice tour (fingers crossed)
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

In November we are doing a four day dirt road tour from Chiang Mai to Chian Rai in Northern Thailand.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Oh my I completely forgot to post my journal! My attention was turned to meeting my mileage goal for the year before we started getting freezing temperatures and our early Ohio snow falls. FYI I made my goal of 3,000 miles! April thru November 2014. Let me remedy this situation first, http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/13806

Sounds like some great bike trips (let us know where we can see some of your trip photos please) some still to come, awesome! I'm starting to think about next summer already!
    _________
    1996 Kona Kula-14
    2011 Surly LHT-46

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmame View Post
    Oh my I completely forgot to post my journal! My attention was turned to meeting my mileage goal for the year before we started getting freezing temperatures and our early Ohio snow falls. FYI I made my goal of 3,000 miles! April thru November 2014. Let me remedy this situation first, http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/13806

Sounds like some great bike trips (let us know where we can see some of your trip photos please) some still to come, awesome! I'm starting to think about next summer already!
    Nice! The fact that your bikes matched is amusing. I am trying to get my sisters interested in maybe doing the GAP next summer. Of course, they would both need to get bikes first...and then we would have to see if we can coordinate a time when we can all be off work!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830