Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Road Cyclist - Camelbak?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Road cyclist do you ever use a Camelbak and if so which model works well. I am having to purchase one for health issues and I want to be sure i get a comfortable model. Is the Charm that much more comfortable than a non women specific model?

Thanks,

Judy

I've occasionally used one, on longer rural rides in hot weather, when I know there won't be any place to refill my bottles or buy drinks.

The most important thing for me is to loosen the shoulder and sternum straps so that most of the weight rests on my hipbones, on the lower strap.

If you can find a shop where you can try on several models while sitting on your bike, that would be the best way. If you do that, bring something you can put in or strap onto the pack to simulate the weight of a full reservoir. I don't know much about cycling specific models, but I do know that hydration vests specific to running are MUCH better for running than the more widely available hiking packs, so I'd be looking hard at models designed specifically for cycling. Most of them will probably be tagged to mountain bikers, but unless you're riding in a super aggressive tuck, a mountain biker's pack/vest should still balance better on a road cyclist's body than a hiker's model.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We each have 2. One holds 3 liters and the other is 1 or 1.5 liters. We use the smaller one for road and short mtb rides.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Not camelbak but I do like Osprey hydration packs. They fit a lot better on my shoulders and the hydration back is rigid so it doesn't curve on your back.

I have a 2 litre hydration pack that I use on hot and longer rides. It is not camelback but just same type of bag. Cheaper too. At least when I got mine.
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5032-787/m...q=sac%2Bgourde

I still prefer the bottles now because the pack is "heavy" to have on your back, it does not let air circulate between skin and jersey and the "wobbling" of the water in the bag gets annoying. But I find it useful when doing longer runs. I don't like to ride without hands on the handlebar even for a short time so this is easier for me to get a drink a I clip the hose near my mouth and when I want a sip, it is just a second away.

The fun thing is the bag although small, is roomy enough to put a few things in there also like arm warmers or snacks, etc.

You have to try a few models to make sure you are comfortable with it on your back, and front.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I have this hip pack for long days, winter riding, and trips on the tandem:

http://www.inov-8.com/new/global/Pro...ro-4.html?L=26

It holds a 2 Liter bladder, wind jacket, insulating layer, warm gloves, tools, snacks, wallets, maps, phone... in case you'd ever need to take your entire household with you...

No sweaty back, chafing, or unnecessary shoulder tension, and I like that I can access the front pockets while riding. If you seal the seams it's also waterproof.

Never seen that one. Will look it up also. How does it work when you say on hips. Doesn't it tend to fall off with the weight? I can't "vision" it right now.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Edit: the description on the website reads 4 liters, and your post said 2. Is there more than one model? 2 liters sounds more reasonable for that size.
    The water reservoir (sold separately) is two liters. Total pack capacity is four.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hi, sorry for the delay!

I'm sorry the lumbar pack is no longer available. It may be because innov8 is designing more for fell running, and for that purpose, the newer designs--traditional running packs/vests but with the bladder secured at the bottom--are more effective. For inline skating the pack works fine, but when running it moves too much and the strap loosens.

On the bike I hardly notice it at all. It just sits there, it doesn't rotate or slip, I don't feel the weight or even think about it unless I need something from it. It's certainly not any more disturbing than fully packed jersey pockets. And it's practical for me to have the tools and such packed in one place so I can get out the door faster, regardless of which bike I take.

It holds a total of four liters, the bladder holds up to two liters and the rest is for whatever you want. If you don't use the space there is an elastic cord for compression on the outside, this also works for securing a rain jacket if the pack is full. (For example when hiking...) I usually take about a liter of water in the pack since 2 liters is actually pretty heavy, and if I drink that much I have to get rid of it at some point and then it's easy to refill it...

Since it's no longer available, I won't elaborate on the design, but lumbar packs are certainly work considering if you like having unrestricted breathing and having easy access to whatever you take with you.

Camelbak used to make some models that are often available on eBay...not a lot of people seem to be looking for them so you should be able to try one for very little money.