Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Myka Expert

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all, mildly new roadie looking for a mountain bike.

Is anyone familiar with the Specialized HT WS bikes that aren't extraordinarily expensive? Specifically, the Myka Expert? There's only one review on mtbr.com and they mention the weight of the bike is a detriment.

I've test-ridden the Myka Comp; the sizing and geometry seemed like a good fit to me. (How similar are the bikes as you move up in quality? Are they all the same frameset with nicer components as you go up?)

I'm too new to mtnbking + am a student and have finite $, so can people weigh in on this (literally?

Do you think the 1 reviewer was just comparing this HT to her nicer/lighter HT, and that's why she mentioned the weight?
    Does anyone know the weight of this bike?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not in a rush to get the bike; I'd rather wait and get something I really like.

I've never sold or weighed this Specialized. Based on the components on the bike, I would guess it weighs in around 28 lbs. The Gary Fisher Marlin is similar and weighs around that.

Always take those MTBR reviews with a grain of salt.

Size of bike has nothing to do with the weight. The weight of a bike is a factor of the frame material and the component package.

In your price range, weight of the bike WILL be an issue. Remember light-cheap-strong pick two? That certainly holds for mountain bikes, especially in the sub $1K range.

Specialized and Giant have the reputation of the most bang for the buck in terms of component specifications.

In a new bike, my opinion is that fit is very important. If it doesn't feel good when you ride it, you won't ride it much. You can always change out some heavy components later. Frankly, lots of us started out on heavier bikes and it just makes you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarChick View Post
    ow similar are the bikes as you move up in quality? Are they all the same frameset with nicer components as you go up?
    Frames change ( can get lighter) as you move up in quality, and the component package improves. The first thing they'll do in a "line" is upgrade the component , and then as you move up the line to the next level, a lighter frame will be the next level, again moving up the line with improved components. Hope that makes sense.

Between manufacturers, the biggest different will be in frame geometry, and the base component packages ( ie Shimano vs. Sram, for example)

HTH.
    Last edited by Irulan; 04-14-2008 at 06:39 AM.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    The Myka is a gorgeous bike and I'm rather envious that you can ride a women's specific bike in the Specialized lineup.

I don't know what your budget it, but if you can, consider the Myka HT Expert. I think you will be happier with the components. Also, if weight is a concern, consider reducing your *rolling weight* by going with lighter rims, tires, and cranks. I have a Specialized Rockhopper and I reduced the weight of my bike by 3 lbs by doing that.

One thing to consider about a lighter bike is that you'll not have as smooth a ride, particularly on a hardtail. The heavier bike will absorb more of the shock.

I hope this helps and when you get your new bike, please share lots of pictures of her. Good luck and hope the suggestions from fellow TE'ers help you in your decisions.

Thanks for your help, all.

It won't be bought until at least another month, but I'm getting excited about trying to figure out what bike it's going to be.