Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

descending--pedal vs. coast ?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Maybe this is part "style or art" of hill riding, vs universal...

But, when descending... do you pedal normally? Or coast?

Personally, when I first started riding, and not many hills, I would coast. By the time I got to the top, I was happy for a down hill coast break.

Then a few things changed...

One... I figured out by clicking all my gears and pedaling, my stats of average speeds overall were better with pedaling.

Two... rolling hills became a blast to ride, vs work, because pedaling down-hill made the next immediate up effortless.

Three... riding w/big guys 175#s pushing a 53/39T, vs. 120# ME on a 50/34T compact... I needed to pedal with everything I had + run outta gears to not get miserably lost behind them descending.

Soo... I'm on auto-pilot to "pedal all out" downhill.

Well, in this other thread I have going, that is part of how I passed these peeps that later decided to follow my wheel. And the ride peeps my last club ride were hill "coasters". And a bit slower going up than me. Now... I'm still way humble here. But... after the big guys experience, I'm finding it hard to go back to coasting. UNLESS... I am outta gears & maxed out my cadence... then I coast outta necessity (i.e. big grade).

Is pedaling down-hill rude if your ride partner's are not? I don't want to seem like I'm ditching them. If I'm further ahead after the hills... I slow, grab a drink, and wait until they join up. I felt like I was getting a vibe that I should ease off... it's just hard to un-program to go back.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Good question. I pedal down unless I'm with a group. But this change in behavior is only because I happen to know that anyone I pass on the way down will easily pass me back up, so I don't see the point in making people pass.

I'm waiting with bated breath to hear what others say.
    Fall down six times, get up seven.
    My Blog/Journal: Fat Athlete

Depends on the hill - and also whether my legs are super tired.

My top gear is a 50x11, so I spin out at about 38 mph.

If I'm not spun out, concentrating on sharp turns (my cornering skills aren't the greatest, plus there's a lot of gravel in the turns here) or completely worn out, I'm likely to be pedaling at least some. It keeps my legs from stiffening up, so it won't be a complete shock to them when I have to start pedaling up the next hill.

I've never ridden with a group so large that it really matters as far as group etiquette - we might get in each others' way a bit on the first couple of hills, but after five miles we get strung out enough that it's not an issue.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
    Good question. I pedal down unless I'm with a group. But this change in behavior is only because I happen to know that anyone I pass on the way down will easily pass me back up, so I don't see the point in making people pass.

I'm waiting with bated breath to hear what others say.
    OK... good. I was coming back to my thread, thinking... "is this a dumb question? ...maybe I should just delete it". I know I have read some things here on TE about this. Sometimes the search function pulls exactly what you want. Sometimes your key words just don't hit as you would like.

ADD...

I will also say, about the 175# strong climbing guy buddy. Who is always on the front anyway--stronger overall, and MUCH better climber... his point to me was this... "pedaling down-hill (regardless of upcoming effort, i.e. flat or next roller hill) helps to keep your legs loose and moving, vs. idle = not a good thing". I personally have found he has a point. Thus, pedal for me.

The peeps that I pass down-hill pedaling, I can also pass up-hill. Though I've recently changed my climbing too.

I used to do what you are technically "suppose to do" for muscle energy conservation... click my gears, stay seated, and spin. Now, I do NOT have the super huge strong leg muscles like my guy buddy. However, for me, the spinning that fast and literally inching up the hill just blew my HR & lungs. I would be thrown into an asthma attack at the top of the hill (even with taking my meds before).

Now... unless very steep (btw, local = Midwest, not CO, Mts.) I stay in my 50T ring and dig in. I really focus at pulling up, and kicking back w/every muscle to push the gear. That results in getting to the top faster with less lung & HR effort for me. Plus, as needed, I stand to push the gear. Always mindful that my knees don't hurt in the effort--that I know to watch for.

When I am "stuck" behind someone spinning slow up a hill, that coasts down also... I get wore out waiting behind them. So, not trying to be rude in passing. I just don't want to die behind them... I'd rather get things up & over with quickly as possible.

That's what happened partly with my peeps from my improtu pace-line thread. I was ahead on route. Had to unclip & wait for busy traffic. I assume they did not. They catch me & pass on a flat. Then, first set of hill... I'm behind them, slow going up & coasting down (on rollers)....

That's where I wanted to call out my guy buddy's advice: "PEDAL DOWNHILL! ...& your next up-hill will be 1/2 the effort!!!". But, *sigh* I refrained.
    Last edited by Miranda; 08-15-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Definitely pedal downhill. It helps me spin out any lactic acid I picked up during the climb. My coach says to pedal even if I'm going so fast that I run out of gears and have no resistance. Gotta keep everything moving. I also take advantage of downhills to drink, eat and stretch!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Don't know anything about such things cycling in groups as I usually cycle alone, but I generally get passed and left behind when hiking up hills with BF. He finds it very hard work walking at my pace up hills, it's too slow for his legs. So he bounds ahead and then waits for me to catch up every now and again. I really don't mind. I know I'm slow. I would be of the same opinion when cycling in a group. Go at your pace, just stop and let people catch up occasionally. You're faster and stronger, nothing wrong with that. And if they ask about how they can get faster too, explain about the pedalling downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by tctrek View Post
    Definitely pedal downhill. It helps me spin out any lactic acid I picked up during the climb. My coach says to pedal even if I'm going so fast that I run out of gears and have no resistance. Gotta keep everything moving. I also take advantage of downhills to drink, eat and stretch!
    yup i pedal downhill too coz theres less lactic acid build-up that way. plus downhills are fun. on a group ride, i ride with mostly guys so they dont really mind if i pass them and i dont mind if they pass me later. but also depends on where we are. safety first. if its a narrow road with traffic, i will just apply brakes and follow behind whoever is in front of me. sometime even coasting i can be faster... greater body mass i think. hahhha.

Pedal downhill to loosen the legs but more important on descents with turns I want my outside leg down on the turn.

Pedaling ensures I'm in the right position for a safe, secure turn. I feel more grounded with the outside leg down.

I can adjust my speed a little. Feet in a 3 & 9 o'clock position if I want to go fast, 12 & 6'oclock adds resistance and slows me down.

I'm slow at climbing and a descending wimp so I'm usually at 12 & 6.

It's not about the speed, everyone passes me.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Pedal until I run out of gears. Then coast and make myself tiny Unless I'm smack up against the back of a group, of course.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Thx for those additional responses.

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone on the pedal down-hill theory. That is also a really good point about the lactic acid build up in the muscles!

I like the pedal til I run out of gears then coast plan, myself. On the descents I'm willing to have anything to do with speed on anyway! There are descents where I coast and grip my brakes like my life depends on it -- I'll need to stop and rest so my hands get a break when I get on a really long descent sometimes!

(Do you know how HARD it can be to keep your speed under 10mph on a downhill? Yes, there are runs I do NOT want to do at 30+. Then there are runs _DH_ does not want me to do at 30+ -- that's the rest of them!!!)

I've been curious, reading this thread, about the definition of "slowly spinning up a hill" -- I know I'm slow, but this year I feel like I'm flying up at 6-8 mph on hills that last year I plodded up at about 3-5 mph -- and felt like I was doing pretty well just to make the climb!

Personally, I don't mind being passed on a hill or flat -- sooner or later, I'll catch up, or at least reach the destination!

Karen in Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I've been curious, reading this thread, about the definition of "slowly spinning up a hill" -- I know I'm slow, but this year I feel like I'm flying up at 6-8 mph on hills that last year I plodded up at about 3-5 mph -- and felt like I was doing pretty well just to make the climb!
    Karen in Boise
    Karen, I too get very excited this season when I can get up a hill faster than I did last year! Last year, 4-5mph was my max speed up most hills-- hanging on for dear life with maximum heart rate and screaming quads. This year (such as today!) I was hitting 7-8 mph on those same hills.

Still, even with my big improvement, younger/fitter riders were passing me. But I didn't care one bit - I was just so thrilled to be better than I was last year -- and to not "hurt" so much either!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Most every training plan I've every read repeats one tip for sure... "hills give a lot of bang for your buck!".

That's one reason I love my TE "She Loves Hills" jersey so much. I hate them, and I love them. The love part is realizing your progress when you find a new way to make yourself better on it.

The comments about speed on hills also has a lot to do with grade, imo. I live in the midwest. My "hills" are nothing in terms of grade compared to someone who lives in CO mts.

But, none the less... I can recall when I first started riding my bike and a highway over-pass was my nemesis. Now, it's warm-up cake.

Always nice to find a way to improve. Just hope my ride pals know it's not about one up-ing them... it's about "me... & the hill".

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    But, none the less... I can recall when I first started riding my bike and a highway over-pass was my nemesis. Now, it's warm-up cake.

Always nice to find a way to improve. Just hope my ride pals know it's not about one up-ing them... it's about "me... & the hill".
    We don't even want to think about what was MY nemesis when it comes to hills! Strange coincidence about that -- DH and I rode up one this morning and afterward, as we cruised the rest of the way home, I said to him, "y'know, sometimes, I think about how big that hill used to be"

Karen in Boise

Flat out is fine... it's usually when you gap out your friends and then don't give them a chance to catch back on when people get upset... especially boys.

On technical descents, you will probably trade ultimate speed for smoother corners, building up your entry and exit comfort and speeds. Remember to weight your outside pedal, DO NOT worry about pedaling through corners (It means your center of gravity is very high if you do), exhale before the corner and bend your elbows. Your head shouldn't be to the inside of your stem (if you were to draw an imaginary line from the center line of the bike) either... but we could talk all night about cornering!!

Most importantly, Have FUN!!!

Vanderkitten- MAKE A STATEMENT