Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Sunday, 1/7/07 ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there.
    Well, a bit cooler than yesterday, but less windy.
    Did a nice 24 mile ride with MDHillSlug through Rock Creek Park today at a comfy 15.7 mph average (it was a flatter ride than yesterday!).
    Upped my BJ.com total to a whopping 44 miles for the year, too.
    This will be my last ride for a few weeks, however. I'm hoping Vermont will have some snow, as that's where we'll be next weekend, looking to get some ski days in!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Hi there.
    Did a nice 24 mile ride with MDHillSlug through Rock Creek Park today at a comfy 15.7 mph average (it was a flatter ride than yesterday!).
    Upped my BJ.com total to a whopping 44 miles for the year, too.
    This will be my last ride for a few weeks, however. I'm hoping Vermont will have some snow, as that's where we'll be next weekend, looking to get some ski days in!
    my goodness, girl, where are your priorities? SKIING, indeed
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    my goodness, girl, where are your priorities? SKIING, indeed
    But I just GOTTA try out my new sticks!!
    I'm leaving it up to you to carry the TE torch on BJ! I hope to be in LAST place when I return!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    DH and I and a friend rode 19 miles today. Beautiful 55 degrees, sunny, cool, breezy...
    Rode in a public nature park, along muddy rut trails through the fields, uphill to a beautiful woodlog gazebo with a 360degree view of hills and farms and ponds- lovely!
    Stopped in town on the way home and DH had a cookie and i had an ice cream cone...in january!
    DH and I are now taking turns washing off our muddy bikes. -Oops, just heard him call...it's my turn!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice ride, although pretty mundane. Just a 35 mile recovery ride from yesterdays killer climb through rolling farm country. Rode with a women I am starting to spend more time riding with, nice gal. We planned a baby shower for one of our younger club members. On that front, her and her husband are super into cycling. They have already ordered one of those trailers that's pulled by a bike (too bad or we would have chipped in and bought it for them). I was thinking of getting the baby a helmet, but how does that work. How old does the baby have to be to even fit in a helmet? Any young mom's out there with recommendations? She did register at Babys r Us, so I could also just get her what she says she needs, but at some point I guess they'll need a helmet, right?

First ever outdoor ride in January!

I'm hoping Vermont will have some snow, as that's where we'll be next weekend, looking to get some ski days in!
    Sounds like you have exactly the right priorities.

I've always stopped riding in the winter (in favor of cross-country skiing). Since all our snow was wiped out Friday night and it was beautiful and unseasonably warm (40 degrees) I figured I'd give riding a try. Went out for a 40 minute ride on my touring bike- it felt great!

Regina, right now the snow situation is really not good- there's a storm coming tonight though that could turn into anything (there are currently winter weather, flood, and wind warnings posted) so hopefully at least the mountains will see some snow before the weekend.

Hi there.
    For me, 15.7 mph is fast! Thank you for letting me suck your wheel when I got tired
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

With rain threatening this afternoon, BikeBoy and I broke out the Mothership to ride the 27 miles from home to today's club ride start. Not very many club rides take place in the unfashionable east end of town, but when they do and if the weather looks cooperative, we try to bike to as many as we can. I'm glad we took the tandem b/c if we hadn't, I might still be out there in the rain that finally started in earnest a few miles before we got home. For me, however, stoking on the tandem is much tougher than riding my own bike. Not as comfortable (I'm more upright), and I'm forced to ride BB's pace, which is a lot faster than my own. But it got me home before we got too wet. One of my objectives this year is to get more efficient on the tandem, which means riding it more than 1 or 2x/month. Today's total was 70.56 miles, including about 1/2 the club route we rode with the group before leaving to take a different route home. We almost mowed down a deer (deer season ended yesterday) and made a pit stop at the county airport on the way back to refuel and change into rain gear. Today felt more like fall or early spring than the summery temps we've been having around here.

I had gotten a beam rack (http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/...txbeamrack.php) and a rack bag (http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/...trunkbagex.php) for use in the upcoming brevet season, so I took a ride to make sure everything was OK. I decided to go up Glendora Mountain Road to make sure It wasn't going to slow me down too much and it wasn't going to cause any Funky high speed vibrations when descending. I actually made it up faster (well, I didn't go all the way up, since I had stuff to do when I got home, and the Fredwina moblie was as stable as ever. Noticed that some roadies weren't waving. I guess I became an Uber-Fred with Racks and lights. Just wait until I stick fenders on it!

I rode 1.7 miles today 'cause I didn't sleep last night 'cause of some allergy issues so I slept in today (sorry, kittens, I'm sleeping alone at MY HOUSE for the rest of Pete and Marge's road trip). Welp, it's raining, too.

But I got the Gazelle flat fixed Not efficiently, but now I knokw how to do it (thanks, prestonjb on BJ who knew how to release the brake, which was easy ... if you knew...)

Just a short 5.5 mile ride today. We ate a HUGE lunch after church, but the weather was too nice to NOT go out and ride. A loverly leisurely ride did me some good.

My ride was a 2.5 mile walk with husband, son #1, and his girlfriend. It was gorgeous out. I wanted to ride, but Steve made me rest after our crash on Saturday. He was right, because I feel much better today. Saw at least 10 cyclists on Strawberry Hill Rd., 2 who were riding abreast and not letting a car pass on this very narrow, curvy down hill. This is why people dislike cyclists. My family made me refrain from yelling at them...

Another beautiful non-January day tempted my bike and me. The temperature was 24 degrees colder than yesterday - 44 (Fahrenheit) when I headed out today - but that's still very warm for January (and very easy to dress for!). It was windy again, but with the reasonable temperature the wind didn't cause any comfort problems.

My ride was somewhat shorter today (than yesterday) at 28 miles. Riding, looking around, I saw something that surprised me. I was rolling through a neighborhood not too far from home when I saw a field with two animals - llamas maybe? Funny because it was in a residential area, definitely worth a quick stop for a photo!

Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 01-08-2007 at 06:15 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin View Post
    ... 2 who were riding abreast and not letting a car pass on this very narrow, curvy down hill. This is why people dislike cyclists. My family made me refrain from yelling at them...
    Robyn - I think I passed these two on Strawberry Hill Rd. I was coming up on them quickly, with a car coming behind and they were not only 2 abreast, but taking up the WHOLE ROAD . I called out that there was a "car back" and fell in line behind them to let the car pass. The woman in the back, as I called out "good morning" grumbled about the car needing to pass...

Glad you feel better, BTW.

SheFly

Got my first 100k ride for the year at the Casa Grande Century. I'm feeling it today!