Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clenching my toes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, so this is a weird problem, but I clench the toes on my right foot when I ride. When I become aware of it, I consciously make them relax, but as soon as my attention wanders elsewhere, there they go again. I don't do it on my left foot. I have nice bicycling shoes by Specialized. They fit well and are comfortable and supportive. This is getting really painful.

Deb

I wonder if maybe your saddle is too high or too far forward. Those give me all kinds of trouble with my calves (which, the calf muscles operate on the feet and toes).

Have you had a fitting?

Or, maybe your feet swell while you ride, and your shoes are actually too small? Or they're too big, and your right foot is trying to grip the sole of the shoe to keep it from moving around? Most people's feet aren't exactly the same size - do you know whether your right foot is bigger or smaller than your left?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've dealt with this on and off over the years. For me, it seems to happen when my feet start sliding in my shoes and I'm trying to stabilize that motion. Careful adjustment of the straps helps. Adding good insoles that fit well and are supportive helps too.

Good luck with this!

Monkey toes. I seem to do it for no discernible reason--but particularly when I'm focused. I just make a practice of being aware of it and consciously relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    Monkey toes. I seem to do it for no discernible reason--but particularly when I'm focused. I just make a practice of being aware of it and consciously relaxing.
    I think that's it for me, too. My shoes fit well, and my bike is adjusted for me.

Deb

I do this, too, with my left foot. There is no reason why. I just started noticing that I am doing it again when riding... I had a problem with this when I was pregnant with my first son, 27 years ago! I thought it was some weird pregnancy pain, when my foot was hurting like hell from it, and mentioned it to my ob-gyn. We figured out I was clenching my toe every time I pushed the clutch in my car! Henceforth, this disease was called "clutch toe."
    DUH.

I do this too! Right foot only...shoes fit fine, bike fits fine. It does tend to make my right toes go numb after awhile, then I notice, stop clenching, wiggle them a bunch, they get the feeling back. Then I forget until I notice myself clenching them again!

Monkey toes, eh? I like it!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Same here. I also tend to roll my toes under my feet when I'm just standing around, barefoot. It freaks DH out....and fascinated this guy who was doing a ski boot fitting for me on time. I clench my toes in my shoes, my ski boots, ...wait...I'm even doing it now. Dang.
    I also try to be aware and wiggle my toes to relax them.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I do this too! Right foot only...shoes fit fine, bike fits fine. It does tend to make my right toes go numb after awhile, then I notice, stop clenching, wiggle them a bunch, they get the feeling back. Then I forget until I notice myself clenching them again!
    Ditto. Crazy, huh?
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Ditto. Crazy, huh?
    I can tell I work harder with my right leg and my left just kinda "goes along for the ride", so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but perhaps.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I've debated asking a podiatrist if there's some sort of insert I can put in my shoe to prevent it. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this.

I dunno... all you who say you do it for "no reason," are you sure there are no trigger points in your calves? It doesn't sound right to me...

ETA: I just got one of these, because the trigger points in my calves are so deep and so firmly established. The Stick and foam rollers were just too flexible to do them any good, and I couldn't into the high trigger points close to my knee, using the opposite kneecap. I suppose a narrow pastry rolling pin would do just as well. Or maybe a golf ball and body weight on bare floor, although that could be hard to control.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I do this also.

First, and foremost....if you are having foot pain that is not going away, see a podiatrist. Trust me....the sooner you get in to address whatever is going on---the better off you will be.

Your instinct is right----be wary of doing this with your toe. You may be developing a "hammer toe," which can cause (or be the result of) a neuroma in your foot (read: a pissed of nerve that swelled, moved, and causes pain/numbness etc.etc.). (Welcome to my life!)

Make sure that the toe box (front wider part) of your shoe is big enough. (Or that you aren't cinching it down too too tight when you ride).

Also, make sure you are keeping your heel down (feet flat) when you ride, and not lifting your heel tons and tons. This strains the ball of your foot/puts pressure there, and you may be curling your toe subconsciously as a way to relieve pressure or something that you aren't even aware you are putting on your foot.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions. Ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I dunno... all you who say you do it for "no reason," are you sure there are no trigger points in your calves? It doesn't sound right to me...

ETA: I just got one of these, because the trigger points in my calves are so deep and so firmly established. The Stick and foam rollers were just too flexible to do them any good, and I couldn't into the high trigger points close to my knee, using the opposite kneecap. I suppose a narrow pastry rolling pin would do just as well. Or maybe a golf ball and body weight on bare floor, although that could be hard to control.
    Oakleaf, your post convinced me to buy a foam roller (only self-massage thingy I could find locally). Holy cow, it's amazing! I found knots in my legs and IT band that I didn't know existed.

Thanks for the suggestion

I do this also!

Hi Deb,
    I am a podiatrist. And I do the same thing with my left foot. I also notice it when I am driving in my car sometimes. It is not a problem unless you are having pain or your foot is going numb. This is a neurovascular issue and you need to wiggle your toes when you think of it. Also, I get relief by clipping out of my left pedal when I am at a red light or when I stop. The other thing that could be going on is that your socks are too thick or your shoe is too small. You may be getting some swelling in the foot....especially if you ride in the afternoon or evenings. Anyway, let me know if you get any relief. Take care and good luck !!
    Anna