Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Kia Soul. Honda Fit & bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Does anyone have one? Does your bike fit in the back? Do you have a hitch rack on it?

Am considering trading cars if I can qualify for a lower interest rate, and am considering what I might replace mine for if this is the case. It looks like I wouldn't take a loss in gas mileage, and it would be nice if I could fit my Gunnar or Jamis in the back without taking the wheel off. For assorted reason that is a royal PITA for both bikes - especially the Gunnar (I have to let all of the air out to get the wheel off).

I've heard the Honda Fit also fits bikes well in the back...

i have a honda fit. my bike fits inside of it easily. Two bikes would be harder. The car is great for all sorts of combos of loads and people. I love it! I don't have to take my wheel off.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

This is good to know, thank you! I can't think of too many times when I would be transporting more than one bike... I think the mileage of the Fit is pretty good as well.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 2008 electric blue Lancer, but if I can qualify for a zero interest or lower interest loan than what I have...

If you took the wheels off, you could get two in a Soul. Mine is a dream come true. I just throw my bike in there with the wheel on. I also have a bike hitch. I would recommend getting one. Altogether, mine was $250.00 and you might get the dealer to throw one in with a sale. The hitch is used anytime I have two bikes or I go home.

I moved 8 hours away with just the Soul. I have moved two friends with the Soul. It has a ton of cargo space and even loaded down gets amazing gas mileage. I like that it sits up. I like the display A LOT better than the fit, which is why I didn't even consider one. It was a weird console.

I have a friend who has the fit and she likes it but she can't get nearly as much in her car as mine and rear legroom is more of an issue.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

I narrowed it down pretty quickly to the Fit or the Soul, but they will have to make it worth my while. It sounds like you like how the Soul handles? I prefer manual transmissions and the Soul+ appears to come with it.

I haven't seen the inside of a Fit yet, but if it is like other Hondas I have seen I probably won't like it - but I do need to check it out. I do like that it is a smaller vehicle.

you can get the fit in a Manual transmission of course. The interior is so awesome, you can fold down the back seats so instead you have like a little wagon. You can even fold down the front passenger seat, I knew of a couple with a tandem that traveled with the tandem (wheels off) in that FIT!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    you can get the fit in a Manual transmission of course. The interior is so awesome, you can fold down the back seats so instead you have like a little wagon. You can even fold down the front passenger seat, I knew of a couple with a tandem that traveled with the tandem (wheels off) in that FIT!
    It does sound pretty cool It is the massive dash I've seen on newer Hondas that I haven't liked, but this car is probably different.

I've been pre-approved by two dealers on both the Fit and Soul, now comes the time for test riding and careful judgement. Just because I've been pre-approved doesn't mean I will accept either offer unless it makes good financial sense. I just need to keep repeating that...I've been known to get too caught up on things. Shocking thing to consider, yes, but I do that I do have a car I love, so it isn't like I HAVE to do that, but ifen I could lower my payments in this process...

Two of my teammates (a couple) have a Fit and they can put two 29er mountain bikes in the back. They just have a board with a fork mount, you do have to take the wheel off but it isn't that bad when you consider you don't dock your gas mileage with a rack on the back and have one more defense against thieves. They do call it their "Sissy Fit" but they love it, just joke because it is so tiny.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I love my car, actually. It handles well and came with all the upgrades I wanted. I can't drive a stick, so I didn't bother trying a + because all the dealers had were manuals. I have an ! with about 12000 miles on it (well, soon to be 12,500 tomorrow with my drive). I honestly can't say enough about how useful the car is. Before this, I never wanted a hatchback, but now I am glad I got it.

Not that it probably matters, but the sound system is WONDERFUL (I am a music buff) and the interior is not only comfortable for a short person, but also my 5'9'' all legs mom. The seat was really adjustable unlike the Mazda I test drove, wanted to like, but ended up LOATHING.

The soul also has an area beneath the floor to store things like tools and that is where the spare is. People may make fun of my car, but I am glad I got what I did.

Owned by:

It is important to love your car Out of curiousity, is there enough room in the back for someone short to lie down and sleep for a few hours? I may want/need to car camp at an event this fall...

In mine, yes. There is room for two people.

Odd story, but my best friend visited the US last year and we went camping (she's coming back in a week! Ahhhh!). We went up to Traverse City and it poured the first night. We unloaded the car and then got in to see if necessary we could sleep. curled up, the two of us could easily fit without it being uncomfortable. It ended up letting up a bit and we didn't need it, but both my friend and I could have managed. She's 5'9'' and I'm 5'.

Owned by:

Good thread! I've looked into the Fit but not at all into the Soul, and manual tranny is a MUST for me, so that's good to know about the Soul+. I have to say I have caught myself liking the looks of it when it goes by me on the Interstate. :-P
    Currently, I'm still driving my 1994 Jeep Cherokee - had it for 15 years - but we all know at 250,000+ miles it's bound to die at some point, and for 2 years now I've been staring at cars trying to figure out what the heck to replace my beloved Heep with.

What about legroom for both? Hubby is 6ft 2inches...
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Legroom is pretty dang good.

My mom and bestie are 5'9'' and both are legs legs legs and fit no problem. My uncle is your hubby's size and he fit too. I've driven tall, big guys around as the DD and it worked. It definitely has a better back seat than the fit. I can tell you that after sitting in both. And I can't say anything about the driver's seat for the fit, but I drive 8 hours straight regularly and it doesn't give me sleepy butt.

Owned by:

I have a 2009 Fit and the only thing I do not like about it is the road noise I hear on the highway. Not much sound insulation and hard tires (both contribute to the good gas mileage). When the tires need replacing, I'll get softer ones. I'm ok with losing a couple miles per gallon to be able to hear the radio or cd player without having to turn the volume way up.

Test drive both vehicles, in city streets and highway if you can do both. Might also be good to take a blanket you don't mind getting dirty, and take your bike with you. Make sure the bike fits before you buy the car.

Have fun!
    Edna

We have a 2011 Fit and really like it.

My bike easily fits in the back w/o taking off the wheels- but we haven't tried to put two in to the back because we have a hitch rack on it.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143