Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Selle SMP

Selle SMP

To disable ads, please log-in.

Drakon, specifically. I did my first ride on one last night...about 26 miles. For the first time ever...and I mean EVER -- in almost 4 years of logging 3-4k miles every year -- I had NO significant discomfort. No pinching/pressure/chafing/numbness. It was a beautiful thing. I really didn't see how something that looks so unlike just about every other saddle out there could work. They don't even sell them based upon sit bone measurement. On paper this saddle is barely any wider than my sit bones. Like <10mm wider.

I still won't weigh in with a final verdict until I've logged at least a metric century, but I have a feeling that I won't be limited to only wearing the 1 brand of shorts (Gore) that shred my labia the worst. Perhaps I can even minimize the amount of chamois butter/lube I'm using, too.

I have a metric on the agenda in 2 days. If that goes well I'll be investing in the slightly more padded Lite 209 model for the back of our tandem. I likely won't bother with the SMP saddles for the CX bike, fat bike, or mountain bike, since my butt is either in the saddle less on those or not generally for long enough timeframes for it to be as great an issue. I'm also relatively upright on those bikes, so my girl parts don't take nearly the beating that they do on my road bike or in the stoker seat on our tandem. I think I could even contemplate a TT bike if I were doing more time trials or longer duathlons, now. Not that I need a 5th bike...
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'd be interested to see how your metric goes. I'm thinking of ordering a Lite 209 for the road bike and putting the Glider on my tourer as it's just a little wide.
    Queen of the sea beasts

It went REALLY well, so I'm going to pull the trigger on a Lite 209 for our tandem, very soon. I had NO pinching or chafing or numbness (or broken skin). The only discomfort I had was sort of that same dull ache that one gets on the sit bones area when first starting to ride...only the discomfort was further forward. I expect that to disappear once I develop bursas over that area, which I believe is what eventually happens when our sit bones "toughen up" after regular miles on the saddle.

I'm kicking myself for not trying one of these goofy things years ago!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Selle SMP

I just placed 5th overall (of 23) and 2/7 in my age group in a duathlon. Having a saddle that gives me 0 discomfort and allows me to ride at least 80% of the race in the drops makes all the difference.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

It's not much like the Romin at all, except for having a large cutout. The Romin is a flat saddle (viewed from the side) and the cutout ends well clear of the end of the nose, while the SMP is deeply curved and the cutout goes all the way to the end.
    Queen of the sea beasts

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I just placed 5th overall (of 23) and 2/7 in my age group in a duathlon. Having a saddle that gives me 0 discomfort and allows me to ride at least 80% of the race in the drops makes all the difference.
    So, what TT bike are you getting?

I might have to try the SMP. I don't have too many issues up-front with my Jett unless I try to stay in the drops for long periods. I'm always willing to try something new, especially since they've discontinued the firmer version of the Jett.

How's the overall shape? (T/pear-wise; the Jett's still slightly too pear-shaped for me.)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    So, what TT bike are you getting?

I might have to try the SMP. I don't have too many issues up-front with my Jett unless I try to stay in the drops for long periods. I'm always willing to try something new, especially since they've discontinued the firmer version of the Jett.

How's the overall shape? (T/pear-wise; the Jett's still slightly too pear-shaped for me.)
    Ha, I joked to DH about the TT. I wouldn't go that route unless I started doing a LOT of longer TTs/dus...at this point I rarely am on the bike for more than 25 miles in a race.

The shape is sorta more pear-ish...BUT it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Typically I need an extremely T-shaped saddle.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I <3 SMP!!! I now have 3 -- Drakon on my road, Lite 209 on our tandem, Glider on my CX. I am considering a Glider for my MTN bike if I ever work up the courage to ride that again, too. If I ever did go for a TT bike there is no doubt in my mind that I'd get another SMP...totally sold on these things!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

ZZ, as a bike fitter, I really appreciate your reviews and opinions on saddles. I'm glad you've found some that work for you.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

So happy with the lite 209. I am sore but in the right spots. I know that will go away. No numbness, no chafing...that is what I was looking for.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Selle SMP

Yup!!!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3