Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Istanbul

Istanbul

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah; I know nearly none of you have been to Istanbul before. But I wish you could see here to say the least once in a lifetime. Tourism of cycling is improving here day by day. That's a very joyful activity especially for us ( cycling freaks ).

Here's a little info of it: www.istanbul.com

best wishes

I visited Istanbul in 1970, I was only 10 years old but remember it as a very exotic place with lots of fascinating people. Maybe I'll return in the future to see it through grown up eyes.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    I visited Istanbul in 1970, I was only 10 years old but remember it as a very exotic place with lots of fascinating people. Maybe I'll return in the future to see it through grown up eyes.
    Wow! That's a very long time. It's still exotic and fascinating . But It's been a big change here in last 36 years also.
    Of course, you can visit anytime you want; it's always pleasure to me.

Z,
    where do you ride for practice? On small country roads, in the city, in a velodrome?
    I have a friend who spent about a year there in Istanbul; she stayed with her cousins, she's half Turkish. She and I sat down and discovered that there is not a single word (that we could find) that was related in Turkish and English or Turkish and Italian!.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I went on a business trip to Istanbul and Ankara in the early 90s. I had a great time--rode the ferry from Europe to Asia after work one evening, which was a real adventure! We also found time to visit the mosques, went to the bazaar (got a rug, of course!), and had some excellent meals. People were very friendly, too. Mimi--apparently cats are very much revered in Turkey. If I'm not mistaken, the people believe that Ataturk will come back as a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Z,
    where do you ride for practice? On small country roads, in the city, in a velodrome?
    I have a friend who spent about a year there in Istanbul; she stayed with her cousins, she's half Turkish. She and I sat down and discovered that there is not a single word (that we could find) that was related in Turkish and English or Turkish and Italian!.
    Hi mimitabby; you know there is a sea called " Goldenhorn " which has got a big shoreline; this is enough to make training on it . But there are lots of nice roads here; sometimes we use the road between the forest called "Belgrad". I live on the European side of Istanbul and my training partners too; also we sometimes go to Asian side by boat and go on training there. We've different alternatives when we go out. But in the winter we prefer nearer ones.

There are many of associated words related in Turkish; English and Italian. But the most of related words are in Turkish and Greek because of our neighbourhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    I went on a business trip to Istanbul and Ankara in the early 90s. I had a great time--rode the ferry from Europe to Asia after work one evening, which was a real adventure! We also found time to visit the mosques, went to the bazaar (got a rug, of course!), and had some excellent meals. People were very friendly, too. Mimi--apparently cats are very much revered in Turkey. If I'm not mistaken, the people believe that Ataturk will come back as a cat.
    Hi Velobambina; you'd spent nice time here. I feel glad. Yeah; really we do love to meet and host people. I think this is Turkish people's genetics.
    We like cats but this isn't a spesific interest. We love them as much as you. About the Ataturk belief; yeah this must be a mistake; because I haven't heard a belief like that before. Sure it must be an old wive's tale.

thank you for sharing that websight.

i've added it to my ever growing list of places to visit. i just wish that list would go down instead of steadily increasing.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhal Yekeler View Post
    ..We like cats but this isn't a spesific interest. We love them as much as you. About the Ataturk belief; yeah this must be a mistake; because I haven't heard a belief like that before. Sure it must be an old wive's tale.
    We were walking somewhere from lunch, and we noticed a cat sitting on a small chair outside of a shop. The chair obviously was just for the cat (it was small). The lady who was taking us to lunch (she was posted in Istanbul -- an American -- and was responsible for taking care of us while we were there) told us the tale about cats & Ataturk. Sounds like one of the locals must have been having a good joke on the American lady!