Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Cycling shorts, commando or underwear? shave? wax??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, so I've got to ask the awkward question as things 'down there' have been getting a little uncomfortable.
    I've heard that men go commando with cycling shorts, a particular line from a cycling magazine in regards to underwear was "consider the swamp that is your crotch"; gross.
    I've never had a problem with it being sweaty and gross like that article described - so, why go commando? Had anyone noticed a difference? Recommend one way of the other?
    And also, does anyone have anything to say on shaving or waxing the area?? I've been getting some discomfort from hairs being pulled. Shaving has made things a little tender and the skin is sore after riding...
    I usually ride about 200km /week and after a long ride (100km) I've been known to walk a bit funny...
    Any solutions to my embarrassing problem would be much appreciated! (I can't exactly ask anyone from my bike club b/c they're all men!)

Going commando isn't usually about sweat - it's most often about preventing more pressure points (elastic on underwear under compressive cycling shorts usually creates pressure points).

As for hair management.. I try not to shave the same day I ride. Unlike you, I do sweat, and sweat + freshly shaved skin = nightmare for me. I imagine the same would go for freshly waxed skin, but I haven't done that for a few years. I never let my pubic hair get very long, though, so I have never had experience with hair pulling..

If you search the forums, you'll find a lot of threads on these same subjects!
    “Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”
    - Emily Dickinson

Cycling shorts are meant to be worn commando. Underwear can cause chafing, even if it doesn't have seams.

Hair removal leaves most women susceptible to ingrown hairs and infections. I usually keep the hair trimmed to 1/2" or so to avoid pulling and tangling.

Make sure your saddle is a good fit (there are several threads here on saddle fitting), but if you're still experiencing chafing, many if not most people use a lubricant like Body Glide, shea butter, or other chamois creams for longer rides.

Welcome to TE.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Go commando, the undies will cause chafing and possibly infection, holding moisture in. I shave, but don't do it the day before a ride, give yourself time for the skin to recover, use a lotion or Prep H after shaving, keeps the skin soft.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Use Prep H?

Really?

Wow. The things I learn at Team Estrogen!

Aw, heck, my ex husband told me that in his serious alcoholic days he used Prep H under his eyes to reduce swelling.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have a body builder friend that uses Prep H just before exhibition - all over to smooth out cellulite and other bulges.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

A few years back when I got a tattoo, I was told to use Prep H on it to accelerate the healing process. I guess it's useful in bringing down swelling in all applications.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Aw, heck, my ex husband told me that in his serious alcoholic days he used Prep H under his eyes to reduce swelling.
    Don't beauty pageant chicks do the same thing? Maybe I should try it for the permanent bags under my eyes.

Anyway, I use cortisone cream if I get irritation from shaving. I can shave the day before a ride but not the day of. Before and during long rides I use chamois butt'r.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Prep H will also heal dry, itchy, cracked hands. I slather it on before bedtime, wear gloves, and voila--healed skin in the morning. An old country nurse gave me this tip.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    There are tons of great recent (less than 2 years old) threads here to be found on shaving, chamois creams, commando, rashes, saddle sores, shorts, undies etc....try the 'search forums' function and be amazed!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Prep H is wonderful. I'm having it in my coffee right now!

professional driver, closed course, do not attempt this at home, just kidding, really.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Prep H is wonderful. I'm having it in my coffee right now!

professional driver, closed course, do not attempt this at home, just kidding, really.
    You are enjoying prepH in your coffee and I'm cleaning up my desk from my spilled coffee... reading some TE posts while drinking in front of the computer is definitely a very dangerous activity...
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

relly ladies, where were the SPLORF warnings on all the Preparation H stuff.?

Go commando, shave your bikini line on the inner groin or wait until you get older and start losing it, Use a chamois butter, get out of the shorts as soon as you get off the bike, wash or shower each time you wear the shorts, wash your shorts after each ride, air dry them to keep the chamoin soft and don't forget to use sunscreen- I wonder how preparation H works as a base coat?
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Hmm I never worry about the timing of a shave and when I am going to ride. It's like a non-issue for me. Same thing with creams lotions etc. Non issue here.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Commando always.

I trim instead of shaving and I never have to time it out. I keep things really short. No creams/butter. Never tried them, never had a need.