Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you put on a bra one-handed?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is info I could really use. Proving once more that I should have been on a bike rather than on foot, I tripped on a sidewalk, fell, and broke my left arm. I'm mostly right-handed. All my bras are typical back closures and I cannot get away with going without support (or at least containment). I cannot use my left arm at all. (I had surgery on it day before yesterday.)

Surely there are techniques for putting a bra on one-handed, and knowing what they are will improve my recovery immeasurably! Thanks in advance.

Wow, that's quite the challenge. I find them challenging with TWO hands. Maybe a sports bra? Good luck!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Good practical question. Having a front closure bra might make a tiny bit easier ...but still it sounds painful and complicated.

Knowing me, I just wouldn't wear one for awhile, if it was only for a few months. I'm small ...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I would probably try a front clasp and see if one is easier than the other. Seems like both would be a pain.

When I've had to do i, I put the clasp on the front , and then scooted the garmet around until the cups were at the front.
    Breaking your dominat must not be fun! I've only broken my non-dominat hand (so far)

I was curious, so I tried it.

Cups in back, clasps in front - I found it hard to get the clasp parts lined up correctly for me to close. I don't know how much mobility you have in your arm, but I found looping my "broken" arm into the shoulder strap helped me to steady it as I closed the hook and eye closures. They were tough to do with my non dominant hand. Then you have to unloop the strap and twist the bra around do you have the cups where they should be. Using one hand to get both straps on was pretty doable.

If you decide to get pull over bras - I mainly wear Patagonia's Barely bras. I'm either a 36A or a 30 C, so I have some of each type that TE sells. The ones for C/D cups definitely have more coverage and support. But I still tend to wear the ones for A/Bs 'cause they are just a little more comfy.

Good luck!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I just got over a similar problem I could use my right arm only if I kept it bent and at waist height. So I would hook the bra around my waist, in the front, and then use the good arm to turn it around and pull straps up. Not easy, but I couldn't lift the bad arm over my head to put a sports bra on. Also couldn't wear pullover shirts for a couple weeks. Even if I could get them on, taking them off without lifting my arm was impossible.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I would think that clasping the bra around your chest or waist would be the hardest part with limited mobility in your arm. Would it help to clasp the bra while it's off your body and step into it, pulling it over your legs and hips up to your chest, then put your arms through the straps?
    Last edited by Artista; 03-25-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: grammar correction :-)
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

This seems like a clever solution. I don't know if they sell them in the US but I wonder if you could rig something similar up using an old metal coat hanger.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Hook it before you put it on, step into it and wrestle it into place from your feet up.

Bummer about your arm. How hard did you fall??

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Hook it before you put it on, step into it and wrestle it into place from your feet up.
    That makes all the sense in the world!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

One can only hope by stepping into a hooked-together bra at waistline and pulling it up, that there is enough stretch .. but sounds like a good thing to try. Not sure I would start pulling up the bra from feet level --it assumes the whole hip isn't too much bigger than the bust circumference.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

um... how can you step into a hooked together bra and just pull it up from the waistline?

(urgh, that just reminded me of the gory tv show I watched yesterday...)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Can't speak for her, but my butt is waaaaayyy too big to pull my bra over it one-handed.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    um... how can you step into a hooked together bra and just pull it up from the waistline?

(urgh, that just reminded me of the gory tv show I watched yesterday...)
    Got my grammar wrong. I meant hooking the bra at waist level since the injured arm usually cannot be lifted upward very far. I have a small butt and I can't even imagine trying to pull up without super strength my (small circumference) bra over my hips. Unless it's a very stretchy bra ...or um, looser (older) bra.

Just makes me sweat abit thinking about it.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.