Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I know where you live.
    Well, yeah, I guess the operator might have a little something to do with it.
    2007 Rivendell Glorius/Trico gel with cutout (not made any more apparently)
    2005 Specialized Sequoia Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2006 Kona Cinder Cone/another Trico gel
    1986? Bridgestone mixte/Brooks B72
    1991 Bridgestone 300 Xtracycle/Terry Gelissimo

I know where you live.
    I know where you live as well.

But drop off your monkey next time, I've always wanted one.

You don't want my monkey
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Now I need these

Now I need these

You seriously don't.

i should get out all my paddling shoes I have that i don't like and see if you want to buy them. Aren't you a 6, 6.5 like me?

Not to mention my wetsuits.

I just got one of these for the dslr:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I will post pics after testing it out.

Why don't I need those boots?
    I expect to step in water deeper than ankle height and I will be in the water when it's cool

yes that's my size, alright.

You don't want my monkey
    I LOVE the Trunk Monkey!! I need to get my next car from the Suburban Auto Group.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

I tested out the new camera today and I'm very pleased. Extremely quick start-up, quick focus and snapping, and very little delay between shots. That was the biggest complaint on the Olympus and one of the deciding factors in me not getting it. It got passed around several boats and everyone enjoyed using it. Even my brother, who has never owned a camera and lives by the motto "All of my pictures are stored up here (pointing at head)". The autofocus was a little annoying at times, not always choosing what I wanted. But several of the picture modes had an "infinity focus" option, so I chose that when I could. The waterproof claims are holding true so far, and the piece-of-mind I now have was well-worth the price of the camera. If I weren't so exhausted, I'd post some pictures. Maybe tomorrow.

Why don't I need those boots?
    I expect to step in water deeper than ankle height and I will be in the water when it's cool

yes that's my size, alright.
    Here:
    http://www.cpakayaker.com/uploads/re...afety3fold.pdf

The actual wetsuit season in the DC area is very short. Most of the winter you will need a drysuit to safely paddle (various discussions over on cpakayaker.com in their forums). You need to dress for what the water temperature is and how long you will survive if you are immersed in it, not the air temperature. I don't paddle most of the winter around here because I don't have a drysuit - even though I know that I can roll my boat back up quickly if I flip without actually being fully submersed in the water and have drytops and drypants. And I very rarely flip - but the risk isn't worth it to me if the water temperatures are such that I can't swim 100 feet without dying...

So the amount of time you need or can use neoprene boots up to your knees is pretty limited around here. Go in water deeper than your knees and those boots will fill up with cold water. So fall out in cold water, and you're submersed - it's hard to have a wetsuit on with boots up to your knees. Same with having drypants or a drysuit on with knee high boots you gotta yank up. Not to mention, yanking up tight neoprene sucks - and if it's not tight on your calves it doesn't really work as an insulator. So in any situation that you're wearing knee high boots, you really should be in a wetsuit or a drysuit of some sort and if you are, putting on knee high boots is gonna be a major paint in the *** and ankle length boots will work. Of my ankle height neoprene booties, I use the pair with the zip up the side because the pull on pair is a pain in the neck.

You could also just put on knee high rubber galoshes for that matter. They're looser and they'll go on over wetsuit or drypants legs.

I use this:
    http://www.palmequipmentusa.com/gear/bibs_pants.html
    The palm sidewinder pants, although the bibs are also good - they've got built in waterproof booties, so I just put those into whatever shoes I want to wear.

And... you've got a plastic boat, no reason for you to get your feet wet at all. Just put your boat half on shore, get in, and slide the boat into the water. Paddle fast & ram the shore & you'll get far enough up you can climb out without getting your feet wet. Or if you paddle up parallel to shore or a floating dock, you can use your paddle to brace the boat and climb out.

Also various types of waterproof neoprene socks you can use instead of knee high boots.

If I ever find a drysuit that fits at a good price, i'll paddle all winter

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
    I tested out the new camera today and I'm very pleased.
    Which one did you end up with?

The ugly Canon D10. But dammit, it works!

Zen, I met someone that has the paddling boots you want. She paddles year round, mostly uses a drysuit. But she says she uses the knee high paddling boots twice a year, when she goes down to florida to paddle in the winter, when the air temp is colder than the water temp. Otherwise, she's in a wetsuit or drysuit

Paddling on the Potomac near DC, which is really quite a nice paddle because within like 6 miles after putting in at a marina opposite the pentagon, you go past all the monuments, past the watergate, georgetown, the kennedy center, then go into forest, and then into rocky coastlines and then you're at the base of little falls. Expand that to 10 miles and you include national airport, national harbor, naval research labs, old town alexandria and a really wide river. And there was the drunk guy that swam across the river from georgetown onto a little beach - holding his beer cup out of the water. He did his victory dance, stood on his head and fell over a couple of times, insisted on hugging me, and then dove back into the water at which point his shorts slipped down exposing his buttocks and started to swim back across the river...