Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got lights?

Got lights?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Great deal alert!

Mr. Sheesh and I just got home from REI. We were "just looking", but discovered a Night Rider MiNewt LED light for $106 (and because we're REI members, we saved an additional 20%). This light normally retails for $179 so we jumped on that deal. Night Rider just put out a newer version, so I think the deal is limited to stock on hand.

Darn! I did look at the lights at my REI yesterday, but I didn't see this deal! I tried and tried to spend that 20%, but in the end I didn't.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

i just picked up the last MiNewt at seattle's REI. $106 - 20% = a steal...

I recently got the newer MiNewt X2 for $149. It's supposed to be 2 times brighter than the old one, according to the NiteRider web site. So you might want to compare the old and new versions and decide if the extra light output is worth it to you.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

DebW- I take it that you haven't used that light yet? Give us a review when you do, please. I'm gonna get a light one of these days.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I "bought" the Minewt.x2 (remember I got it for free?). It's a very nice, compact, bright light, but for commuting I like to run my light in the flashing mode so I can be seen better and also save battery life. The Minewt flash was very fast--remember a few years ago when the Japanese kids were having seizures because the cartoon images were moving too fast? That's what it felt like. Waaay too fast a flash for me. If you're not running it in flash mode it would be a great light.

So I returned it and got a hitch rack for my car instead.

the MiNewt X2 at REI was $189 while the MiNewt (regular) was only $86-ish after discount + sale, so it was worth the brightness hit for me. i don't do hardcore / long rides at night and mainly the flash mode with a headlamp combo. i figured i'd give it a whirl and see how it does — REI has a great return policy, so i've got nothin' to lose.

The MiNewt X2 doesn't have a flashing mode. It does have two brightness modes. I've tested it on my very dark hilly curvy street, and the light output is excellent. I did buy the helmet mount because curvy streets and handlebar mounts don't go well together. I picked up a much smaller light with a flashing mode to mount on the handlebars so I can be seen at dusk. The MiNewt will be for full-on pitch-black rides commuting home from work (no street lights around here).
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

[QUOTE=DebW;243195]The MiNewt X2 doesn't have a flashing mode.QUOTE]

I bought the MiNewt X2 from REI during their Labor Day Sale. It was $149. When I first turn my light on, it is in the flashing mode. I have to push the button again to get a steady light. If I push it again, I get a lower beam of light.

I like the light, but I am not sure that it provides me the strongest beam. It does light the road in front of me, but I liked the way my nite rider halogen light thru out the light. I had to replace that light because the cable leading into the battery was frayed and it finally wouldn't come on, even with me trying to 'jiggle' the wires.

I like the compactness of the MiNewt and the battery is so 'light' compared to my last light. I find it really takes me pushing the 'on' button for 10 seconds (which seems a long time) for it to come on and if I don't push the button hard enough, I have to start over, so I am not happy with the on/off function. I worry that I am not 'as seen' as I was with my halogen. I would occassionally get a car flashing their brights at me with that light, so I knew I was 'seen'.

I am sold on the size and the weight of the battery and that is why I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    The MiNewt X2 doesn't have a flashing mode. It does have two brightness modes.
    Deb, if I remember correctly, to get the flashing mode on the MiNewt X2 you have to hold down the on/off button for a few seconds.

i've gotta do the "few seconds" thing for last year's MiNewt to enter flashing mode too.

i dig how small and lightweight this light is!

Keep the recommendations coming!

Yesterday, my commute was nearly all in the dark. My handlebar light (probably $30) isn't cutting it. So, I think I am in the market for a heavier duty light...and I'd like to get one with a helmet mount. I'd probably leave the handlbar one on, and just run it on flash while I'd like a steady setting for the helmet mounted one. I ride on off-street paved trails for my commute, and it is not well lighted - lots of potential for debris/branches/puddles/sand washed onto the trail...so I need a light that will help me actually SEE, not just be seen.

Last night I spent a while at REI experimenting, but I don't want to go on the cheap and regret it...but I don't have a zillion dollars to spend, either.

What do people have and love? Or have and hate? I don't want to quit commuting before the weather forces me indoors (hopefully I have at least another month left!).
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    Yesterday, my commute was nearly all in the dark. My handlebar light (probably $30) isn't cutting it. So, I think I am in the market for a heavier duty light...and I'd like to get one with a helmet mount.
    What do people have and love? Or have and hate? I don't want to quit commuting before the weather forces me indoors (hopefully I have at least another month left!).
    I have a 5 w Dinotte. I've seen the MiniNewts. they are similar in size. I think the Dinotte is slightly brighter. The 3 w Dinotte is really more meant as a helmet mount, but the 5 w comes with a helmet mount, too.
    IMHO - for a reasonably priced, reasonably small, reasonable good light - it's between these two.
    The Dinotte comes with a neat battery setup - rechargeable AAs that are easy to get and charge and can be replaced with non rechargeable if you get out somewhere and need batteries.
    Now if money isn't a factor and you are doing a lot of bike riding, some of the $$ halogen systems (Vega's especially) might be a good choice. Or, if doing randonnearing and need all-night light, a hub regenerator system.
    Just saw this little business writup on WallStreet Journal
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1190...-Business-News
    Last edited by TsPoet; 09-28-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Light update...

My Dinotte 200L showed up at REI today. I got it home and mounted on my helmet, and boy am I ready to go! Such fun toys! (And costly ones too...yikes!)

I haven't been commuting by bike the past few weeks because our morning light had all but vanished. I'm psyched to get back out there!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Totally Different Bike Light Style

Has anybody tried out the (humorously-named) Down Low Glow?

I've ordered one, but haven't tried it out yet (green isn't the only option, btw). But it looks like this is one possibility for getting drivers' attention plus illuminating your way pretty effectively.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.