Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Carrot Juice

Carrot Juice

To disable ads, please log-in.

I need to add fresh veggie juices to my itinerary... Fresh veggies taste yummy when steamed but am unsure about drinking them...

Please tell me a way to make carrot juice taste...reasonable..If you add ginger, will it taste any better?

My tummy will love you forever

When you like eating fresh veggies, but don't like the taste when drinking them, why bother?
    Eating the whole vegetable isn't only tasty, it's even healthier than drinking juice.

It's good with ginger.

But you have to start with carrots that are good and sweet. If they're bitter and woody, the juice will be, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Maybe mix with cucumber or apple.
    I find it really really hard to drink straight.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Quote Originally Posted by margo49 View Post
    Maybe mix with cucumber or apple.
    This -- any veg [green] juice is instantly better when you juice an apple along with it. Cucumber is a great addition for its cleansing properties. And ginger does add a nice zing.

Oh! And beets.
    Last edited by szsz; 08-15-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

Apple is a nice addition to carrot juice. I loooooove carrot juice, I chug it like I used to quaff chocolate milk.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

I just got a new blade for the juicer---oh right, those things are supposed to be kinda sharp, aren't they?!

Carrot juice--like oak said---it depends on the carrots!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

mmmmmm

My fave organic/raw food cafe makes de yummmmmmmmiest carrot-ginger juice fresh for meeeeeee

Yummmmmmmmyyyyyyy...

I was going to suggest Trader Joes, but in Oz you don't have them...

At any rate, they make a bottled tropical carrot juice. It tastes really pineapple-y to me and I love it, and I remember my friend one time making me a fresh carrot-apple juice from her juicer that was also very yummy.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

5 carrots, 2 apples in a juicer - yum; add little handful parsley if you like (it adds a freshness to the juice)

Here's one I did and it was great!!

2-3 large green apples
    3-4 large carrots
    2 inches of fresh ginger

Can be very gingery but really good. Use less ginger if you aren't into a strong ginger taste.

BTW, I started juicing (making my own fresh juice) back in October and love it. I'm now taking a 22oz bottle of green juice with me to work every day.
    The green juices can be difficult at first but if you add fruits in with the veggies, it helps. They say fresh juicing concentrates the nutrients and I find it a good way to increase my daily fruit and veggie intake.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-14-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Eating the whole vegetable or fruit is way healthier than juicing. By throwing out the pulp, you lose the precious fibers and the GI raises. So, what you drink is almost plain sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Anelia View Post
    Eating the whole vegetable or fruit is way healthier than juicing. By throwing out the pulp, you lose the precious fibers and the GI raises. So, what you drink is almost plain sugar.
    For fruit juice, I'd definitely agree. This is probably true for carrot juice also since they generally have a higher sugar content than most veggies.
    However, much of the juicing that is becoming popular now juices dark leafy green veggies which have lower sugar levels. I've seen it recommended that you start with a base veggie, like cucumber or celery, then add dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, collards, etc), then add fruit and maybe some ginger.
    The recommended ratio of veggie to fruit juice is something like 80% or 90% veggie and 20% or 10% fruit juice. The fruit juice is basically there to make it palatable. The idea behind juicing is to concentrate the nutrients. It takes a lot of produce to juice, so it would be difficult to the eat the same amount of produce.

Here's a blog by a guy who is really into juicing where he describes a bit more about juicing for weight loss.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-24-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Bike Friday Petite Crusoe
    Terry Trixie
    Gary Fisher beater bike

Maybe a cycling forum isn't the best place to talk about "juicing."
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Eh, you said that before, and this one at least is too old to know the slang you're talking about. Sigh....
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler