Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1141 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 1416411041109111311137113811391140114111421143114411451151 ... LastLast
Results 17,101 to 17,115 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw this while at the Philadelphia airport, waiting to fly home from my DIL's shower. Alsthough I had been using my phone for email, etc, I didn't hear the news until I saw it on a TV at the airport. My first response was "What the Hell?" It feels like we are becoming used to these things happening, myself included. I feel a high amount of fear, generally, for friends, and especially, my brother.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

This show is proof that history remembers
    We lived through times when hate and fear seem stronger;
    We rise and fall and light from dying embers
    remembrances that hope and love last longer

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/vid...miranda-902090
    Last edited by ny biker; 06-12-2016 at 06:52 PM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

This writer nails it for me, I know I'll find peace at some point, but right now I'm angry.

https://medium.com/@JohntheCraptist/...784#.vifvjdwgd

Electra Townie 7D

Pax, I just wanted to say to you and all the other LGBT folks here that I am thinking about all of you. I've been reading posts from my LGBT friends on Facebook, and I can feel so much pain in their words. I don't know exactly how to express what I am feeling other than to say that I am with you in spirit and sending love, peace, hugs, and empathy. <3 <3 <3
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thank you, Emily, been a rough few days. Two of the kids here at work lost friends in Orlando.
    Last edited by Pax; 06-15-2016 at 05:32 AM.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Thank you, Emily, been a rough few days. Two of the kids here at work list friends in Orlando.
    Oh my, I just saw this. Hope you are ok. Such a terribly sad week.

I feel like I no longer understand the world in which we live. I just don't get it....why does everyone hate so much.

I am so tired of the "thoughts and prayers," spouted by my friend, who thinks she is liberal. The same friend, who told my husband he was "so gay," because he was wearing a V neck sweater a couple of years ago . I am just angry. I spent 2 hours yesterday, processing this with 2 of my clients, as well as another hour on Monday. I am just spent from this.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I hear you, Crankin. I'm helping the kids at work process this, they are so young and so bewildered, they cannot fathom that their fun, loving, wildly alive, friends are gone. Their generation has experienced the upwelling of support, both legal and cultural for gay people in America; they've never experienced this extreme hatred from their peers so it's all very startling to them.

Sadly, when I heard, I was not shocked in the slightest. My generation has grown up with this hatred, we know it's there, lurking beneath the surface of acceptance. For me it was never if, only when. I am so tired.

Electra Townie 7D

((((((Pax)))))) - and hugs also to all who have lived your lives under the threat of hate.

Because the link you posted is worth a read - this forum software edits out certain words, even from links: in place of the four asterisks in the link, paste a four-letter profanity beginning with lower-case f.

I thought this one was really well written too: http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...e_are_not_okay

Take good care. My heart breaks for you. And I'm angry too, angry at things that are done in the name of my sexual orientation, my race, the religion I grew up in. May all of us straight, cis, white people also stand up and say Not One More.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

((((Oak)))) Thank you so much. Having someone acknowledge this happened and it's awful, helps.

Talking with a few of the students at work last night, one young gay man lost two friends, another lost nine friends (they grew up together, or knew each other in PR, or were family friends), one young straight woman lost her BFF who was dancing with his fiance and died protecting him. These kids are wrecked, but are also resilient. Already making plans for how they're going to honor their friends, they are kind and compassionate and hurt.. It's an honor to know them.

Electra Townie 7D

It's taken me few days to get over the anger of this hate. My anger is not of hate but rather anger at the senseless act, an act of self-hate, an act of prejudice.

One can call it a terrorist act or use any other name but does it make any difference to those who were killed for what? It's not going to bring them back. It doesn't make the hurt go away... Yes I'm appalled by our gun crazed society. And it makes me very angry at our culture which seems to glorify violence, be it in movies, e.g. london has fallen, Bourne movies, or video games grand theft auto and the like.

The whole thing is so sickening. There is nothing glorious about violence. It just begets misery and more hate and even more endless senseless violence. I wish there were comforting words for the victims and their families and friends.

Random musings here.
    The weather has been so unbelievably wonderful for more than a week. So un-New England like. No humidity and temperatures in the 70s, or not higher than 82. It is supposed to last through the weekend. It will be hotter next week, but no real rain, except at night.
    I just came back from seeing a client in her home, as she recovers from surgery. It's not more than a mile and a half away from my home, yet a world away. Sad.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

"Bike and Bar" here this weekend. Thousands of cyclists show up and cover a seven mile loop that encompasses about 12 different bars, stopping to drink at many of them. Lots of wobbly cyclists tipping over as they make their way to the next bar... made for a challenging drive to the grocery store today.

Electra Townie 7D

That sounds like a fun, albeit dangerous, ride. Wonder if any cyclists got pulled for DWI?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow