Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Brompton Recall

Brompton Recall

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have to redo my footer, we got new bikes. Knott and I both got Bromptons. We love them.

More about the bikes later but first there is a recall of the bottom bracket. We've scheduled a visit with the LBS to replace them (the BB, not the bikes).

https://www.brompton.com/About-Us/BB-Checker-Consumer
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

We just got them a few months ago. Bromptons are "one size fits most". The majority of adjustment is the seat post. You can't adjust the stem but different bars will give you more or less reach. So mine's a flat bar while Knott has an "M" bar to accommodate her longer wingspan.

We got the bikes primarily so if we want to do a day trip with riding we can just toss in the car and go. No rack, dissembling the bikes, worrying about them being visible etc. Just be able to go anywhere and fit rides in.

So far we've tootled around here and they are fun. Slower and less comfy than any of my regular bikes but great at what they do. And you can fly one up and just bring it into a cafe or pub.

Make people smile when they see them. A typical reaction on the trail is when kids see the Bromptons they may point and laugh. I get it, looks like a clown bike.

But the parents, they want one!
    Last edited by Trek420; 12-04-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

My DH had a Bike Friday way back when. I was a fairly new rider and we were out, on a local road (actually very close to where I live now) and we passed 2 young teens on bikes. They just were laughing their azzes off and yelled "clown bike, what the hell?"
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    My DH had a Bike Friday way back when. I was a fairly new rider and we were out, on a local road (actually very close to where I live now) and we passed 2 young teens on bikes. They just were laughing their azzes off and yelled "clown bike, what the hell?"
    That's the reaction of anyone who does not know the bike. It's fun to see other Brompton riders on the road.

No, Knott does not have any fit issues. And we see taller people on Brompton's. I really had to play with it, especially saddle fit. It took a while to get the saddle to the right spot, forward on the rails so I did not feel stretched out. So it's not as if it's instantly perfect for a small rider either.

If you travel, want something easy to just throw in a car, bus, train or even plane (there are youtube videos, people even fit them in the over the seat bin. G*d help you though if it falls out ) or just for fun, get one!
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I can get a Citizen for about $220.00. It would be a good café, errands bike that I can lock up outside when needed, and not have a heart attack over if something happens to it. And I'd love to be able to fold and put in my car, sometimes.

Falling bikes in an aircraft. Maybe not.
    Arright folks, my "n" for which "n+1" is the right amount of bicycles is a bit low .... i had a folder which had too many winter rides and too many small parts that got rusty... I'm thinking if I just keep 1.5" tyres on the Transport it can be the winter thing and... I will actually have an EZ travel bike. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    Arright folks, my "n" for which "n+1" is the right amount of bicycles is a bit low .... i had a folder which had too many winter rides and too many small parts that got rusty... I'm thinking if I just keep 1.5" tyres on the Transport it can be the winter thing and... I will actually have an EZ travel bike. Hmmm...
    We can always justify a new bike and/or improvements/remodel to any old bike. We are happy to enable you.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton