Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    Every time I see one of these I start to drool. Smallish with lots of room inside, generally used for businesses.
    My other choice would be it's big brother - a sprinter van. Used, of course!
    http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/crew-van
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Honda Fit has lots of cargo space even though it's a small car. It's also much lower than an SUV, which is good for kayaks on the roof. Not pricey; great mileage. Perhaps worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Honda Fit has lots of cargo space even though it's a small car. It's also much lower than an SUV, which is good for kayaks on the roof. Not pricey; great mileage. Perhaps worth considering.
    I agree that the Honda Fit is great for a small call and a commuter, and if I were still working AND we had a second car, it would be at the top of my list. But it's just too small for road trips -- we'd also have luggage and often, a dog and dog gear, in addition to bikes, a kayak, etc. Just not quite enough car for our current needs, but thanks for the thought.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Maybe I should look at the Rav4. Always liked Toyota!

By cheaply made, I meant the exterior and the locks, things like that. Not acceptable to be forced to replace all the locks after 5 years because of cheap parts. I guess most cars have power/remote locks. But mine aren't. Not made to withstand use, apparently.

Plus, the plastic cover around the wheel-wells fell off for no apparent reason, and from the undercarriage.... No more Honda.
    I do hear you. We never had any problems with the locks on our Element (but had power locks), but we did have a trim piece fall off the exterior. DH was able to replace it with a mail-order part, so it was an inexpensive repair since it was plastic. And the driver side sun visor got floppy, but he was able to repair that too. Those kinds of things I can accept, because we put 130K miles on the car in over 7 years of ownership and NEVER had a mechanical or engine issue of any sort. Never had to have it in the shop other than for routine maintenance. And never did the "check engine" light come on. After my issues with my Forester, that alone made me love Honda.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Every time I see one of these I start to drool. Smallish with lots of room inside, generally used for businesses.
    My other choice would be it's big brother - a sprinter van. Used, of course!
    http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/crew-van
    Oh yes, I know about Sprinters (Sportsmobile is simply a modified, customized Sprinter), but they're not in the budget for now. Very cool, though!

I have not ruled out the Ford Transit, but I do have reservations about it. The cargo space is amazing, but there are drawbacks, like the tall profile I mentioned above (making parking decks a hassle). Also, I could not find safety data for it, possibly because it is more of a "truck" than a car. I'm also nervous about driving anything with metal panels instead of windows in back. Seems like that would make visibility/blind spots a lot worse. The Element was pretty bad in that respect, too, and if you flipped up the rear seats, I felt downright nervous driving it, since I couldn't look over my shoulders at blind spots before changing lanes. Perhaps you get used to that, but it's really hard to adjust mirrors to eliminate all blind spots.

Anyone have any feedback on that? I guess we could always test drive one.
    Emily

Not feeling the love after reading this (Source: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...onnect/Safety/)

The Ford Transit Connect gets an overall safety score of just two stars out of five from the federal government, which is worse than most vehicles on the market. This score is comprised of three-star frontal crash and rollover scores and a two-star side crash score. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety does not crash test commercial vehicles.

The Transit Connect comes with safety features that are basic for the class. Anti-lock brakes are standard, as are front and side airbags. Depending on the trim level, a rearview camera and a passive anti-theft system are optional.

Reviewers note that although the Transit Connect’s forward visibility is great, its rearward visibility is pretty poor no matter which model you choose. Cargo models are particularly bad, since the rear cargo area doesn’t have windows. Reverse sensors are optional, which should help a bit.
    Emily

Just wanted to add a little about the Jeeps. They did go through a point in time where there was significant difference in engines and upkeep. The 4.0 liters, well, you couldn't kill them (I had one, '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo... I miss it soooo much!!!). Jeep no longer has 4.0 models but I've read that they have improved their overall engine lifespan.

Check out the car forums. When I was looking a few months ago (was considering a new car...) I saw positives and negatives but more people loving their Jeeps than not.

That said, I would stay away from the Compass and (I think...) the Patriot. Those two had the poorest reviews (consumer and magazine).
    Last edited by rubysoho; 05-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Continuing my research, did you know that the Rav4 (in addition to the Honda Element) has more cargo capacity than a Ford Escape (in addition to both Jeep models mentioned)? I was surprised! I'm really learning a lot from all this research and truly appreciate all the suggestions.

Currently, it's looking like the Rav4 is at the top of the heap for what we want. DH still is pulling for an Element, but I've found at least one good site that compares the two, and Rav4 wins in nearly all categories.
    Emily

Not sure if you are aware, but the Element has been discontinued, and good used ones are not so easy to find. My boss just bought one, and had it brought in from out of state somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Not sure if you are aware, but the Element has been discontinued, and good used ones are not so easy to find. My boss just bought one, and had it brought in from out of state somewhere.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But there are a reasonable number of them available through Carmax in NC; I've already checked. More pricey than buying from an individual, but have been checked out better too. And we'll be in an area where Elements are VERY popular, so there's always a decent chance of a local sale as well.

That said, I am going to push pretty hard for a Rav4, but it will probably be a late model used one as well.
    Emily

Emily, in your 1st post, you say you want to be able to transport the bikes with front wheels removed? So, the bikes would be standing?
    If so, how do you secure them so they don't tip over while driving?
    I have an SUV, and I lay my bike in the back, which is fine since I'm single and only have to transport 1 bike. But when the bike is laying down, it takes up the whole back, and I've been trying to figure out how to stand it up, so I can take it on vaca along with luggage, coolers, etc.
    Good luck in your car search!

You've never seen these? It's easy to build a bike rack for inside a vehicle by mounting them to a 2x4 or similar. About $18

2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

My DH made one of these to put in the back of his SUV without having to put the rack on the hitch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I've never seen one of those. I'll have to look around for one.

Yep, what Irulan posted! DH made a rack for the interior of our Element that held four bikes (back/front/back/front) with the fork mount brackets. He also made one for the back of his truck when we had a tandem.

Barring that, I have used a few bungee cords to keep one bike upright without removing the wheel in the back of the Element (when we didn't have the rack with fork-mount thingies). You just wind the bungees around various parts of the bike and then around various parts of the interior of your car. Takes a little experimenting to get right.
    Emily