Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Just the sight of a bicycle makes me angry!"

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm convinced there are drivers out there that really think this way... maybe not admit to it, but they do.

These are drivers that actually speed up just to go around a little bicycle going 15 mph, drive erratically, swerving wildly, regardless of what is going on in front of them. Drivers that are willing to speed up while approaching a slowing or stopping car, just to prove the point that this bicycle is RUINING THEIR DAY. They speed up and fly by me and then slam on their brakes at the car in front of them or at an upcoming stop. What's funny is they have no understanding of what fools they make of themselves.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Well, I didn't really mean funny ha-ha.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

yes they are idiots and addicted to that little testosterone rush that they get when they dis a bike with their mighty car. One thing to remember is that if they are ahead of you after zooming out, scattering old ladies, children, animals and other drivers, remember that you at least can stop and avoid them. Also take comfort in the fact that if they cause an accident, you are in a perfect position to write down their plate number and car make and can report that information to the appropriate individual (police, owner of other car,etc.) Sort of a variation of "I can't necessarily make you behave, but I can make you sorry your were such an ***." Revenge is a dish, best served cold.

been through it more than I care to remember and survived the brush with only broken ribas, concussion, and a few months off the bike.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I'm sure that you are right and that there are such people out there.

But I also think that most of the time when we witness erratic behaviour from drivers, such as speeding up to pass us and then slamming the brakes, it's mostly due to ignorance and fear rather than anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I'm sure that you are right and that there are such people out there.

But I also think that most of the time when we witness erratic behaviour from drivers, such as speeding up to pass us and then slamming the brakes, it's mostly due to ignorance and fear rather than anger.
    On the rare occasions when I do see bad behavior they don't seem all that fearful. Lots of gunned engines or the guy who laid on the horn for a good quarter mile as he passed a line of riders going single-file on rural road without a lot of traffic (so we were in no way an obstacle, he was just an a-hole redneck in a jacked-up pick-up with intentionally obnoxious exhaust).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    On the rare occasions when I do see bad behavior they don't seem all that fearful.
    agreed! I don't think the rednecks that try to run me off the road are fearful, but I sure am!!!
    I think they are just jerks. Probably the guys who picked on the "nerdy" kids in school and are just general d-bags.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I think a lot of it is ignorance.

I love how I come to a stop sign and actually stop and cars are paralyzed as to what to do. Normally they blow through stop signs with a tap of the brakes. But a cyclist? Holy crap we all have to stop and stare at the anomaly that might... follow the rules of the road? I have no idea.

But I do chuckle at people who pass me at full blast in a very aggravated manner and then I see them at the next stop light and wait with them until it turns green. Just shows you don't really get anywhere faster!

Heh, a friend of mine posted this on FB:
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

great jersey!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I want one!

Not all who wander are lost

I have this all the time. Seems to always occur while climbing a hill. You KNOW the idiot behind you can't see over the hill for a while yet, but he guns it anyway, and narrowly misses an oncoming car that had to swerve onto the shoulder to avoid an accident.

That stuff scares the crap out of me. An accident at that moment could take out my friends and I at the same time.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

I generally move out more when it's overpass time... tho' around here, we simply don't seem to have as many of the hostile folks. There *was* one guy who, trying to see around me to make his right turn on red (I was to his left), said "I hate cyclists. I just HATE cyclists." Then he was making his turn and I called out "BUT I LOVE YOU!!!!!" with the sign language thing (I never know what I'm going to say in those situations...)
    (That and my Big Dorky Flag and Long Cargo Bike... people are confused instead )

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Heh, a friend of mine posted this on FB:
    Do you have any idea where one could buy this jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Ho Silver View Post
    Do you have any idea where one could buy this jersey?
    That is pretty obviously just a photo of a shirt with the text put on top - but I think I have seen similar sentiments elsewhere... www.sharethedamnroad.com has some, but most with no swearing, even implied.

Cafe Press, while they do not have actual cycling shirts, do have performance fabric T's... the design could be submitted.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Cafe Press, while they do not have actual cycling shirts, do have performance fabric T's... the design could be submitted.
    The same sentiment could be applied to both the front and back of the shirt--so one could wear it for both running and cycling (though I deal with probably 10 jerky drivers on the bike for every 1 jerk while running--such a double-standard some drivers have).
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3