Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Interesting article about fat, muscle and losing weight

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think the title doesn't really describe the article well and the ending seems like it's suffering from abrupt editing, but overall this is an interesting look at the biology of fat and muscle as well as one man's attempts to go from morbidly obese to fit.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness....html?page=all

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I am currently reading a very interesting book "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. While his editor would have been smart to keep him from beating a dead horse TOO much ("fattening carbohydrates" is used WAY too many times, there is a lot of good information in this book. It examines the regulation of fat in our bodies and presents a compelling argument against the conventional argument that fat gain is "simply" about calories in/calories out. Very interesting read!

I bought the magazine yesterday, when I had some extra time to kill and I read the article last night. It was interesting and there is no doubt that there is more going on with some people's weight gain than calories in and out.
    Funny, about 15 years ago, we got Outside as part of a magazine thing. After a few issues we both thought the stuff featured in there was CRAZY and we dropped the subscription. We couldn't fathom people doing the crazy endurance stuff.
    About 2 years later, DH started riding, and while you'll never get me ice climbing, that stuff doesn't seem so crazy to me now.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Funny, about 15 years ago, we got Outside as part of a magazine thing. After a few issues we both thought the stuff featured in there was CRAZY and we dropped the subscription. We couldn't fathom people doing the crazy endurance stuff.
    About 2 years later, DH started riding, and while you'll never get me ice climbing, that stuff doesn't seem so crazy to me now.
    In 2003 I met a co-worker who biked 12 miles each way to work in Chicago. I peppered him with questions. I never imagined I would be doing that. (I have never biked in Chicago and my commute has always been <5 miles. But I would still bike if it were.)

In 2009 I saw another co-worker (in Missouri) running barefoot. I actually stopped him in his tracks to ask about it. And later peppered him with questions. I did not imagine that I would ever 1) run or 2) run barefoot!

I laugh now because when people pepper me with questions and have this whole "you're crazy as a loon" attitude it annoys me. Not the questions, the crazy part. But I'm sure that's exactly how I seemed.

In the article, Bruno's story highlights why we need walkable city infrastructure-- because gyms are for fit people. And/or we need gyms to make fat people feel comfortable. I have heard so many people say they are uncomfortable going to the gym, that it doesn't have anything for them. And they aren't anywhere near Bruno's size. Like the researcher said at the end, fat is only one part of it and you can be fit & fat. But that's not reflected in gym classes.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike