Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Running/Training surprise

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't surprise easily, but I was really surprised both last night and Tuesday night in my training class (last week for that class, sadly).

Some may remember that somewhat over a year ago I developed a knee problem after running a few laps at my last gym and then going to a hard spinning class right afterwards. My Dr. diagnosed it as "runners knee" and basically said that I needed to give up on the idea of running. It took months for the knee to settle down, but riding did help it and though it eventually settled down,it did get cranky every time I tried to run. It just felt unstable and like the kneecap wanted to move from side to side.

When I started the "slim it to win it" training challenge at my current gym I told them I couldn't run and just power-walked when others ran. The trainer encouraged me to at least try it and just stop if/when the knee started bothering me. I was afraid to do more than a light jog and was resistant to the idea, but I did finally try. Meanwhile he had us doing things in class that I've never even considered possible or even knew people did.

This was the last week for the class/challenge and for the two sessions this week he poured it on us with no holds barred - and I was really surprised by two things. The first thing was that I was able to keep up with the most fit in our class in most things, and that included running Not for long distances, I couldn't sustain it for more than 1 lap (had to stop to breath) but I was able to do it! They were probably holding back so I could keep up (the two in question run marathons & are quite fit), and my knee was fine at the end - I did run more after walking part of a lap to catch my breath.

I had thought that cycling/spinning was giving me all that my legs needed and that all I needed to do otherwise was to keep up with my squats and leg presses to maintain leg strength. I've learned that more things are needed I will never be a "runner" but it was seriously cool that I was able to keep up, even for just a lap, and felt fine afterwards.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-27-2012 at 05:27 PM.

That sounds cool, Catrin. I had the same experience last week when the evil trainer sent us outside to run. Sure, I was breathing heavily, but I stayed with the most fit "real" runners.
    Now, if I could figure out how to jump up onto little objects where there is a huge chance of falling. It's not that I can't jump; it's the balance issue of landing in the right spot.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    That sounds cool, Catrin. I had the same experience last week when the evil trainer sent us outside to run. Sure, I was breathing heavily, but I stayed with the most fit "real" runners.
    Now, if I could figure out how to jump up onto little objects where there is a huge chance of falling. It's not that I can't jump; it's the balance issue of landing in the right spot.
    I hear you, until recently jumping with both feet at the same time has been most challenging...but I now can jump forward on the Bosu with both feet - can't do it laterally as of yet but it is a goal. For me it is a head thing, I think.