Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1002 of 1165 FirstFirst ... 25029029529929989991000100110021003100410051006101210521102 ... LastLast
Results 15,016 to 15,030 of 17471

Thread: Thread Drift

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hmmm, TE book club?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Hmmm, TE book club?
    I would love that!!!!!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Me three!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    That's on my list of 'must read next" books.

I got this and could not put it down. I was nearly up all night and reading the next day on the train, missing my stop .... very moving, shocking.

http://rebeccaskloot.com/the-immortal-life/
    It's on my reading list. (It probably should be, being that I'm in biomedical sciences.) I know the university library has it, so I'll see if I can borrow it while classes aren't in session.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Do we pick a new book that nobody has already read or go with The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks as our first selection?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Doesn't matter to me. I'd read it again or another book.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Oak, Owlie? Any thoughts? I am addicted to buying books, so I'm game for whatever. The only thing I don't rad a lot of is fantasy.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy - you should come visit me at work sometime, my office is parked in the middle of six million books.

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Indy - you should come visit me at work sometime, my office is parked in the middle of six million books.
    That's a lot of books. I used to be addicted to actually reading books, but it's become something I have to work at. Some nights, I just feel more like zoning out. I'm getting more disciplined though. Still, I am completely hooked on buying books. I haven't purchased an e-reader, in part, because I think I'll miss the charge I get when I hold a new book in my hands.

Eek; may need a 12-step program.
    Last edited by indysteel; 11-20-2011 at 04:43 AM. Reason: I have a love/hate with my iPhone's autocorrect feature.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    That's a lot of books. I used to be addicted to actually reading books, but it's become something I have to work at. Some nights, I just feel more like zoning out. I'm getting more disciplined though. Still, I am completely hooked on buying books. I haven't purchased an e-reader, in part, because I think I'll miss the charge I get when I hold a new book in my hands.

I need that 12-step program for bikes...thankfully there isn't one I am, however, a compulsive spender which will always be a struggle

I do like my e-reader, though right now I am getting books from the library. Free is good. There is something about holding an electronic device in your hands one which you have access to hundreds of books...

Thankfully when I purchased my original Sony Reader, the purchase came with a free choice of 100 books from their classics collection - and I love classics so it was easy to justify. They don't do it that way any longer but now I've full access to Google book downloads which is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post

The collection here at the U is actually over 12 million, I work in the stacks and if we don't have a book I want, I can order it through inter library loan... I'm right there with you on the addition. I'm like a junkie working in a crack house.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    ...They don't do it that way any longer but now I've full access to Google book downloads which is also nice.
    Google is currently digitizing our older/rare books, good thing because a lot of the old one-of-a-kind stuff is falling apart.

Electra Townie 7D

Well, here's my initial suggestion for a book club book. I say initial because my pile of unread books is rather deep, but this particular book came to mind based on what may seem to be a common interest. It's Tracy Kidder's Strength in What Remains. I love Kidder as a general rule, and his books always seem to generate interesting discussions. If you haven't already read Mountains Beyond Mountains, I recommend it highly.

My biggest reservation is that it is a heavy subject matter, perhaps too heavy for holiday reading. If that's the consensus, then I would be happy to read something lighter.

Once we choose something and decide on a goal date for finishing it, I will post a separate thread and see if there are any takers to join us. It would be nice to make this a regular thing.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Google is currently digitizing our older/rare books, good thing because a lot of the old one-of-a-kind stuff is falling apart.
    I hear that there are a lot of free classics available from Project Gutenberg, and that they're compatible with most e-readers. Haven't tried it yet myself, tho.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I have "last of the Mohicans" and "kinckerbocker's History of New York" on my Kindle from Gutenberg. Can't testify as to the other e-readers

My bike is packed for the firs time in 2 years. It's going to Missouri with me to visit parents for the holidays, then a 4 day bike tour on the Katy Trail. This is what I get to do because I got laid off!
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72