Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Buying new bike. Cyclocross? Roadbike with thick tires?

To disable ads, please log-in.

This year I'm buying my first new bike...not my usual hand-me-down or something cheap I found on Craigslist. I'm having a hard time finding the right bike and I'm hoping for some help. I'm looking to invest in a bike that I'll have for years and can be versatile. I plan to do urban commuting, long rides, bike trails, and occasionally some dirt roads or paths. For example, I would love to keep my 700x26 tires for day-to-day and change out for a tire with more cushion and tread if we head out of the city with less smooth/dirt trails. I live in the midwest, so I can't ever really plan on a rainless day. I need a bike to get me through a sprinkling or post-storm ride. My price point is under $1k and I fit on a 52cm bike

I've test road about a 10 bikes and I find drop-bar, road bikes to be my favorite. The Trek Lexa and Raleigh Capri are the top two. However, neither have clearance to go thicker than a 700x28 tire and most likely can not fit fenders. The flat bar road bikes solve my thicker tire needs, but when I ask if I can get drop bars instead of flat bars I'm told there's no point because of the increase in cost. I have not ridden any mountain bikes.

My boyfriend rides a Surly Crossfit (cyclocross). We want to ride together (anywhere) and pull the baby in the Burley. That's the ultimate goal. We would like the versatility of a cyclocross bike for me, but I can't find any bike shops caring women's cyclocross bikes. My online search has yielded few results and none with a low enough price tag. I'm afraid the men's cyclocross is going to be too big for me as my shoulders are narrow and my reach isn't that long, the salesmen have told me as much and have discouraged me from trying.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have 5 reputable bike shops in my area and together they carry most lines. I'm hoping that a forum of women can help!

Thank you!

Welcome!

I know the ones we (hubby and I) just purchased maybe out of your price range but you could probably find something used. How about Specialized Crux? And if you have a chance to look into disc (we have hydraulics on ours) it would be good for the rain.

They also used to have Tricross so may be able to find one in your area to look at and/or order on line for your size.

Also, remember that the road bikes are lower (nearer to the ground) than cyclos. Being higher is to help with some obstacles.

By the way, just don't take for granted that your size would be the same on x bike. For me, the crux is smaller than my Amira (for number) but in the end, they are the same. So make sure your measurements are good before getting one. My Amira is a 51 (I think) and Crux 49. Hubby's Cervélo is a 51 and he has a 52 in Crux and it fits him perfectly.
    Last edited by Helene2013; 05-28-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Thanks! That's super helpful. Though, yes, it is out of my price range it at least gives me an idea to run by the bike shop.

If you wouldn't mind answering another question, the Amira is women's specific and the Crux is unisex, correct? Did you notice much in difference in the geometry?

Invite it is!!!

Thank you so much for the advice! I found a Giant Liv Invite in my size at a shop near me. I was also able to test a couple of the other bikes suggested. The Invite was EXACTLY what I was looking for, just the perfect bike for me!!! I rode it this morning and we came back and bought it a couple hours later. I've been cruising on it for the last couple hours. I'm in love.

I really appreciate the advice. There are around 9 bike shops within an hours drive (4 owned by the same company). Non of the salesmen recommended the Invite. In fact, it was the only one in town. So thanks to you ladies, I found my perfect bike!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I accidentally linked to the same bike twice. The first bike is this one:
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_579550_-1___

I can't get the geometry charts to come up. but it appears the less expensive option has a higher head tube so possibly shorter reach, meaning that would be better. But I'll load another browser and check to be certain.

Regarding men's versus women's, every bike's geometry is set up differently. You really have to look at the effective top tube, head tube height, stack, reach, and head tube angle for size comparison. It's pretty normal to change out bars, especially for women, you don't want to eliminate an otherwise good option by being hung up on whether it's a men's or women's bike.

Also, the Trek Lexa is available in size 50, and size 52, no size 51. So can't really tell from that what bike fit you the best. Do you have any other information on what bike fit you well? Same with the Raleigh.

FWIW, the Giant Invite 2 reminds me most of the Trek Lexa for frame materials and overall fit and probable feel. The steel CX are nice, but would be heavier, and aluminum cx bikes tend to be quite practical.