Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Specialized Tricross Geometry/Sizing...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello Ladies...

I started a thread in the newbie area and it was suggested that I look into a cyclocross bike due to my desire for a more rugged road-ish bike--but not quite a mountian bike. I have found a very gently used Tricross that I'm somewhat interested in but I am quite uncertain on the sizing. It's a steal of a price but it's not *so* local that I can just zoom over and take a look/ride.

I ride a 51cm Cannondale Synapse that is pretty much maxed out in size adjustments. According to multiple shops and an independent fitting, I could have gone with the 51cm or 54 cm version(that's the next increment up for Cannondale on this model) and minor tweaking would have me set.

The Specialized Tricross is a 54cm. The geometry for both the Specialized and the Cannondale is below... should I even consider this Tricross or really wait until something smaller comes along. (and FWIW, I have called around to many shops and no one has this size in stock for me to try...) Also, I am NOT looking to use this for cyclocross--rather just dirt and gravel trail rides.

Synapse Geometry:

Tricross Geometry:

My instinct is that it's just a *little* large. But I just want some confirmation before I pass.

Thaaaaanks!!

It's probably a bit too big - generally you want more standover on a cyclocross bike. They have a raised bottom bracket, so sometimes it's hard to compare their geometry directly.

This may not matter to you since you're not planning on using it for cyclocross, but you may be more likely to run into obstacles on a trail ride and that little bit extra standover might come in handy... just in case their happens to be a tree across the path that blew over in the last storm or a big mud puddle, or something that's going to want you to be able to get your feet down quick with the realization that the ground on either side may not be solid...

my 54 cm tricross fits me perfectly. I am 5'8" or so. I can also ride a 56 comfortably, but it's not as perfect as the 54.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    my 54 cm tricross fits me perfectly. I am 5'8" or so. I can also ride a 56 comfortably, but it's not as perfect as the 54.
    How much standover clearance do you have?

This is not a precise measurement, but I can fit 3 fingers between me and the top tube on the 54.

I have a Tri-Cross and am 5'5". It is the 51. I could not get on the larger bike as it was just too tall. If you can possibly try it for size, I would definitely do that. Even if the price is right it might not work for you! Good luck. It is a great bike. I do not cyclocross. I use it for touring! I also have a road bike but the TC is really comfortable for long rides.

Thanks everyone...

... the main difference is the standover height. An increase of roughly 1.5". I have called around to shops within a 3.5hr radius and no one has anything. At 3.5hrs I my as well just go look at the actual bike in question!

I keep standing over my current bike and measuring the clearance and thinking... "hmm, would there be enough clearance if 1.5" were missing????"

Get some 1.5 inch high telephone books or something and place it under your wheels, then stand over it.

People that are giving their heights & what size tri-cross they ride, might want to mention their inseam lengths - it'll make it easier to compare.

Yeah... I think I'm going ot pass on this. I'm going to keep my eyes open but even at a "deal" it's not a deal if it doesn't work for me.

Good call on the pass.

While I rode a 54 Cannondale, my 54 TriCross is *slightly* on the large size for me, surprisingly. And I am 5'10", but have a regular (read 31") inseam.

While I really like the TriCross while I raced it, I have moved to a Ridley that actually fits me better and it makes a big difference. The difference to me, BTW, was NOT in standover, but in top tube length.

I still have a TriCross that I am using as my winter bike now, with full on fenders, etc. Seems to work ok for that, but my arms and shoulders do get tired on longer rides.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    Good call on the pass.

While I rode a 54 Cannondale, my 54 TriCross is *slightly* on the large size for me, surprisingly. And I am 5'10", but have a regular (read 31") inseam.

While I really like the TriCross while I raced it, I have moved to a Ridley that actually fits me better and it makes a big difference. The difference to me, BTW, was NOT in standover, but in top tube length.

I still have a TriCross that I am using as my winter bike now, with full on fenders, etc. Seems to work ok for that, but my arms and shoulders do get tired on longer rides.

SheFly
    Yeah... I'm happy with the decision. I think it would have been uncomfortably large. I actually talked with a friend today who is into cyclocross who I ride with occasionally and he said he'd ask around and see if anyone was looking to sell a bike.