Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

26" in tires & wheels question

To disable ads, please log-in.

hey all,

i learned that there were diff widths for 26" tires. 26 x 1.5, etc.

I can keep the same wheels on my mtb but use thinner tires for commuting, right? I don't have to buy specials wheels in order to have the 1.5 vs whatever the standard is.. right??

Be aware that not all tires labeled 26 inch are the same. MTB 26" tires are a different bead seat diameter than 26"x1 3/8" 3-speed tires. See

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

A rim of a given width can take a range of tire width, but it has limits. You can measure the inner rim width and use Sheldon Brown's rule of thumb:

"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width."

He also has a chart on that page or rim width vs tire width.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
    I can keep the same wheels on my mtb but use thinner tires for commuting, right? I don't have to buy specials wheels in order to have the 1.5 vs whatever the standard is.. right??
    Yes, that's true. I put urban 26" 1.5" width tires on my mtb when I was riding on the trainer recovering from my fractured pelvis. Once I wanted to ride outside again, the 2.1" knobbies went right back on. Your rims will have a range of how narrow/wide you can go with tires, so if you don't have the product literature that came with them, you should be able to look up your rims online (that's what I did), and find out the range of tire sizes you can use. Since mountain bikes (and thus 26" tire sizes) are so popular, you'll likely find a large selection of 26" tires in a variety of widths and tread depths at your LBS.

HTH,
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow