Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Chicked"

"Chicked"

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you aren't familiar with the term, it is used to describe when a woman catches or passes a man on single track.

I have girlfriends who are all about "chicking" guys. Every ride they do they sum up by quoting the number of guys they Chicked.

Personally, I think this is kind of lame. It. Promotes the men vs. women atmosphere. But at the same time I don't think its that big a deal. So what if you pass some guys on the trail?

Anyways, I used the phrase in an article awhile back. I did not use in the literal context, I was joking that I was passing guys while driving to a MTB event. DH was really ticked off that I used that phrase.

Turns out some of his guy friends have now said something to him about it making them mad as well.

I kind of feel like they are being hyper sensitive.

I am curious what my friends on TE think about the term "chicking" someone? Do you think it's negative or all in fun?
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    As a joke, to use chicked once or twice. That's it. But not every time when passing a guy or keeping score after ride.

That's how these women measure success after every ride??
    It's a bit tiring and becomes unfunny. No different, than some men boast how much they beat (and I didn't mean it like that in a violent way) a woman ...on anything.

Can you imagine if you mentioned a person's colour? Oh, I passed this white guy/gal...and keeping score?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

According to a recent Singletracks post on facebook, guys supposedly LOVE IT when women pass them on the trails. As long as they're hot.

Ughhhh...the whole thing drives me nuts. But I'd personally rather that no one notice I was a female when I was riding. And I think in your situation the guys are being a little sensitive.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Guys that react to being "chicked" have an ego problem. I suspect that gals who are into forcing the issue do to.

I once chicked a guy who is a big shot downhiller around here, on a spring on an xc ride. He was a really good sport... I mean, he's a downhiller and we all know how good thier cardio usually is, right? It was a moment of fun to remember. And I'm not a racer, not competitive at all. This one time it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up... it was real sprint and all.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

It is tiring. I don't ride with these particular women much anymore. But their FB updates regularly refer to "chicking."
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Guys that react to being "chicked" have an ego problem. I suspect that gals who are into forcing the issue do to.

I once chicked a guy who is a big shot downhiller around here, on a spring on an xc ride. He was a really good sport... I mean, he's a downhiller and we all know how good thier cardio usually is, right? It was a moment of fun to remember. And I'm not a racer, not competitive at all. This one time it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up... it was real sprint and all.
    Awesome story!

And I know DH has a bit of an ego issue. His "confidence" was one of the characteristics that first attracted me.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Yep. It's rare that I ever chick anyone...at least anyone not old enough to be my dad or young enough to be my kid (and that isn't going to happen for much longer, since my kid is 11 and a lot of boys his age are starting to really hit their athletic stride, literally and figuratively). The few times I have chicked guys my age I wait until I get home and then crow about it to my hubby, but that's it. Bragging about beating anyone out in public is bad form. We have no way of knowing their level of experience, potential health/injury issues, or whether they might be having a really bad workout/race and weren't able to bring their A-game.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    If you aren't familiar with the term, it is used to describe when a woman catches or passes a man on single track.
    Does the term refer only on single track or on the trail?
    I always pass guys because I race and I have to ride fast: this is what a race is about, right? And since I don't have much competition in my country (when the other girls arrive, I had already taken a shower and sometimes even nap), I have to compare with men. But I do it as long as I have to measure MY progress. It's not about them, it's about me.
    It often happens that if I ride with a guy and I don't see my 1st place threatened, I slow down at the final so that the guy (especially if it's a young boy) can finish before me. I know it can hurt their ego so it's not a problem for me to wait and finish a second slower.
    Sometimes men whom I'd chicked, came and congratulated me, shook my hand and were happy that lady passed them. But maybe these people are not really competitive, they go just for fun.

This term is used on the road, too.
    I don't know. My DH is usually in awe of anyone who passes him, male or female. Especially the older guys, in non cycling clothes, riding a heavy mountain bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Well, for the term to mean anything or give any ego points, you have to assume that any man should at all times be stronger and fitter than any woman. Which is a bit defeatist, if you ask me.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I didn't realize it was a road term too, but makes sense. I don't do group road rides anymore so I'm kind of out of the loop.

I think I am a bit sensitive to this because of a more personal reason. DH, when we first met, really wanted a partner he could ride MTB with. And then I finally got a little stronger and lost a bit of weight and I could suddenly hold my own. I don't want to bash DH, because he is a great guy and partner in almost every aspect. However, my mtbing, I can tell, bothers him! I can see he struggles with this. He knows he's being a jerk about it, but can't stop himself. He's just not supportive of it anymore and he's resentful

It's really taking a toll on me. This season has been tough. I'm not all that motivated to go out and train because I know it bothers DH when I do well. I've also put on a bit of weight.

I keep telling myself this is DH's issue. I shouldn't let him hold me back. but it's tough! I don't want to create a wedge between us.

Ugh.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

There are men (racers even) that have no problem with it and even think it is pretty dang awesome. Sure their egos make them push harder but they have said they are more bothered when they get blown away on the trail by a man they feel they could beat. My husband is in awe of a couple ladies in our series because they are able to pass him, he just appreciates athletic skill no matter the gender.

I do get a bit of joy out of chicking guys if they react negatively. Nothing like seeing them seeth a bit and try to chase you, in my mind it is race practice. My friend loves to do it for that reason so I will text her if I go to this trail I routinely chick guys at, just for a laugh between friends. Usually something like "great ride tonight, chicking boys left and right, you'd be so proud of me." She taught me a lot of my skills so she usually replies with "I taught you well."
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I do get a bit of joy out of chicking guys if they react negatively. Nothing like seeing them seeth a bit and try to chase you, in my mind it is race practice. My friend loves to do it for that reason so I will text her if I go to this trail I routinely chick guys at, just for a laugh between friends. Usually something like "great ride tonight, chicking boys left and right, you'd be so proud of me." She taught me a lot of my skills so she usually replies with "I taught you well."

Last week I was riding on the bike path, a training ride for my endurance race. This couple pulled out about 100 feet in front of me. They were in leisure clothes, obviously out for a nice afternoon of togetherness. The guy glances back and sees me. All of a sudden I notice his muscles tense and he takes off, leaving his wife in the dust without a word or explanation! He didn't want me to pass him! I felt so bad for his wife. I have never wanted to chick someone as badly as I did in that moment. It felt awesome to breeze pass him.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post

I keep telling myself this is DH's issue. I shouldn't let him hold me back. but it's tough! I don't want to create a wedge between us.

Ugh.

You're not creating the wedge, he is.

You work hard to get the results you're getting. He needs to get over it, maybe couples counseling?

My DH's response - how could he not be proud of you and supportive?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    You're not creating the wedge, he is.

You work hard to get the results you're getting. He needs to get over it, maybe couples counseling?

My DH's response - how could he not be proud of you and supportive?

Veronica
    This. I don't think the long-term answer to your DH's insecurities is to simply give into them. I agree that counseling could help, but in the meantime, keep doing what you want to do as it relates to fitness and mtbing. Your husband's issue is his issue to fix.

I also strongly recommend Harriet Lerner's The Dance of Anger. It's very helpful in learning how to reapproach a recurring issue or argument in a relationship. I hear Lerner's voice in my head anytime I'm dealing with someone who wants me to feel guilty or responsible for a problem that isn't really my problem to fix.

As for "chicking," I understand the desire to gloat every now and again when passing a man, but it's not the mindset that I what to be in most of the time I'm on the road. But if I guy can't take the comment as something intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, they're taking themselves too seriously.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher