Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    What do you mean, match it to your bed? That doesn't make any sense to me. I used the one my dr prescribed after my car accident, and just put a pillow case on it.
    My cervical pillow is a little bigger, and works great if I'm on a firm bed. Our bed at home is less firm (by choice), so when I got the cervical pillow home, my head was tilted further forward when I would sleep on my back because my body would sink into the bed.
    Last edited by luvmyguys; 10-29-2012 at 01:54 PM.
    "Susie" - 2012 Specialized Ruby Apex, not pink/Selle SMP Lite 209

That makes sense, I will keep it in mind. I just priced a few of these pillows, they aren't inexpensive are they? Guess this will need to wait a bit... My pillow-top mattress isn't new either, but it is pretty firm. I am a side sleeper, and the few reviews I've read so far appear to indicate that brand matters, so I've more research cut out for me. Thanks!
    Last edited by Catrin; 10-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I find a flatter pillow is more comfortable for me. Same for dearie. In some cases, if I am visiting somewhere and am provided with a thick pillow. I just remove the pillow and sleep without a pillow. Otherwise I end up with a neck ache.

We like an extra firm mattress. Haven't used memory foam and see no need at this point. But a good investment in high quality mattress has been top for us. Expensive but a saver in sleep and the health of ones backs.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    A related topic...for those with neck injuries, how do you like the memory foam pillow? I just realized my pillows are OLD...I won't say just how old
    I tried it and hated it and gave it to the dog. It just never felt right to me. However, I got a buckwheat hull pillow about a year ago and it is my favorite pillow ever, it is great for my problematic neck. However, this kind of pillow is like memory foam--you might love it, or you might hate it.
    Last edited by goldfinch; 10-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

A related topic...for those with neck injuries, how do you like the memory foam pillow? I just realized my pillows are OLD...I won't say just how old
    They come in different shapes, designed for the way you sleep (on your side, back, etc). Go to a store that carries different models and try them out.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I have a buckwheat hull pillow. The advantage and the drawback are pretty much the same: you can shape it into whatever shape is comfortable. But you have to re-do it every time you change positions.

Honestly I'm not sure that my "travel pillow" isn't the most comfortable of all. Take a bath towel, fold it in half or thirds depending on how thick it is, and roll it up. Use it alone for sleeping on your back, or with a thin pillow for side sleeping.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I recently stayed in a hotel for work travel that had the tempurpedic bed. I found it so uncomfortable that I slept on the sofa. It made me feel I was stuck.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

For those who like buckwheat pillows - are you side sleepers by any chance?

I can't now, but I've used it sleeping on my side. For that position I arrange it more in a circle with my ear in the center. Just like the rolled towel, you could use it with a thin "regular" pillow if you needed more height.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I can't now, but I've used it sleeping on my side. For that position I arrange it more in a circle with my ear in the center. Just like the rolled towel, you could use it with a thin "regular" pillow if you needed more height.
    This is good information, thank you. I've tried the rolled towel approach but for some reason it caused pain. Unsure why...but I've not tried that for quite some time. Perhaps it is time for another experiment.

When we bought our latex mattress, I convinced the salesman to throw in two pillows from the same line. They're fantastic- firm, but not overstuffed so that they wrench my neck into an odd position. They have "packed down" just a little, but are still very comfortable 18 months later. I sleep mostly on my side or my back.

We have had a memory foam mattress for a couple of years now and we both love it. My husband has loved it from the moment he laid down on the one in the showroom. It took me a few nights to get use to it - I kind of felt like I was stuck too - but now I love it too. I can sleep on my stomach with out waking up with a backache.
    My husband is a very restless sleeper and he can be doing double gainers & back flips and the mattress does not bounce, (thank the gods above!) so now I am able to get a good night's sleep. We do not find it to be hot at all, but, we do find that on cold nights the mattress is a bit hard when we first get in, but it warms up & softens up in just a few minutes.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

We have a Tempur Pedic. We liked it when it was new, but it hasn't lasted as long as we'd hoped. I seem to sink right down into it to the firmer core now, and get a pressure point on my hip when I lie on my side. Also, it's hot. Not a great compliment to hot flashes.
    We're considering a new mattress right now and have been looking at the "next generation" memory foam mattresses at Sears. They supposedly don't get as hot. We'd love to get a mattress we encountered in a hotel room once, but when we took the details and model number to a furniture store, we were told that it was only available to hotels and not to the public. Oh well.
    Queen of the sea beasts

For those who like buckwheat pillows - are you side sleepers by any chance?
    I am a tosser and turner. Side, back, other side. I have sleep apnea and have to wear that ****ing mask. The pillow allows me to make ditches to fit around all the ****ed equipment. (Apologies for the implied swearing, but I have not made peace with sleep apnea)
    Last edited by goldfinch; 10-30-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Resurrecting this old thread :-) FINALLY, after a few years of hemming and hawing about it I finally plunked down enough for a really good mattress/box to replace my 14 year old double pillow-top It cost... quite a bit more than my LAST bed purchase but it has really made a huge difference in just a week's time. I wound up with an entry level Tempurpedic - I refuse to call it "cheap". I tried out lots of mattresses and made certain that I didn't know the cost of any of them as I wanted to focus on which ones felt best before I looked at pricing. There were a couple other candidates, all memory foam, but the Tempurpedic felt the best - and the entry level version really did turn out to feel much better than the even more expensive versions. Interestingly enough the non-memory foam beds made NEW things hurt! There has been no smell issue with the foam and, so far at least, no problem with heat.

I also broke down and got one of their neck pillows. My origional is breaking down - I tried to go for a less expensive option from Bed, Bath and Beyond but THAT thing actually hurt me. I tried 3 different versions from other companies before paying the upcharge for the Tempurpedic version. Gotta love Bed, Bath and Beyond's return/exchange policy. I did figure out what the problem was, all of the other versions I tried were just too thick/big & firm and just put too much stress on my bad neck and because they were too hard they forced my neck into an upwards angle. Can't think that would feel good to anyone - but we all need different things.

Pity I couldn't remember where/the brand of my original, but I can already tell this one is even better. I did try buckwheat some time ago but that didn't work for me. For the first time in a LONG time I wake up with NO pain, anywhere, and hip pain doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night and my neck is more relaxed than it has been.

When did I start racking up all of these broken bits and aches/pains? Better than the alternative for sure, but I never dreamed I would eventually spend X$ to get a good nights sleep - but you know - it's worth it! I did have to laugh at the delivery guys, they said that 14 year old mattress wasn't close to being as heavy as it should have been. Guess there is some truth in those commercials about old mattresses (eww)
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-08-2016 at 05:51 PM.