Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tortilla Cat is getting Chubby

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am a little worried that our cat, Tortilla, has become quite the chunk since we got her. The shelter said she was 9 pounds when we got her in May and the other night I weighed her at 13.5-14 (weighed twice holding her). She has the weird swinging belly chubby cats get. I am feeding her Purina Pro Plan indoor formula which is supposed to be helpful for weight management and hairball control (she is medium fur). I only give her one cup which is the recommended feeding and she is still big. DH keeps saying we should get her a treadmill. How fat it too fat? I don't want her getting in poor health!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I have the same problem with Calypso, who at 2 yrs has put on quite the belly. Meal rationing is part of it, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Are there kitty crunches? Little ab machines for kitties?

My problem is limiting the food that Calypso gets, when I have another cat in the house that is clinically underweight. So Bonnie needs all the calories she can get, and C needs hers limited.

Seems with one cat, it would be somewhat easy to limit the amount of food they get daily, thus lowering their total caloric intake. And slowly over time they'd loose weight.
    Beth

I feel your pain. Both of our cats are somewhat overweight, probably from our apartment days. It saddens me a little, but I keep plugging away at reduced portions, more exercise, and regular vet checks.

We switched to wet food about a year ago for the increased protein and decreased carbs compared to dry, and that seems to be slowly helping. Feeding them in separate rooms helps too, as one is on an expensive prescription diet for UT issues, and neither needs to be swiping extra from the other's bowl.

I had an interesting conversation with our vet about portion sizes. I was worried that our female wasn't eating enough, and the vet's comment was that the portion sizes (even the lower ones) are gauged for active cats, and that most cats weren't nearly active enough to justify feeding what the label recommended. She advised slowly cutting back until we reached a portion that they were finishing in about 10-15 minutes, and to make that the new "normal". If they walk away from the food, it gets picked up, and they get a smaller portion at the next meal. We're down to a smaller portion than is listed on the label, but they're both losing weight at a reasonable pace, and seem more happy and playful.

What does your vet say?

The trouble with dry cat food is that it doesn't make them feel full. So they overeat. And they still feel hungry. I give my cats a little dry food, since they've eaten it all their lives, but in the evening they get a raw meat mix that i make for them. My fat cat is no longer fat, my other cats look great too. It took about a year. SInce i changed their diet, they all look a lot better. They have glossy coats !

Bottom line, your cat does not need 1 cup of food a day. She's getting dangerously fat.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    ...but in the evening they get a raw meat mix that i make for them.
    Do you have a recipe or link?

'my vet nicely said that my cat,Izzy, was "tubular". that was her nice word for fat!! She said cats only need about 200 calories a day. Izzy isn't quite so tubular anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    She said cats only need about 200 calories a day.
    A useful link that I stumbled across when looking for calorie info for my cats' foods: http://www.petobesityprevention.com/food_calories.htm

I haven't gone to a raw diet (I did try....my male was throwing up too much), but I did go as close as possible. My two only get high quality 100% meat canned food. They are slim, well muscled, soft and glossy.

Corn (the largest ingredient in most dry cat foods - especially grocery store brands) is bad for them. They like the taste - its like candy to them, but it makes them fat and is being linked to all sorts of diseases that used to be quite uncommon in cats like hyperthyroid and diabetes. I've also heard that they have no appetite control - they don't feel full the way we do, so freely available food will make most fat.

Cats are what's known as obligate carnivores. They need the nutrients in meat, and specifically organs to survive. In the wild they don't really ever eat grain and usually only eat greens in order to throw up.... Most cat foods are a pretty unnatural diet for them.

(but the little swinging belly often develops on cats that are not overweight - so that alone is not an indicator - their profile from above is better - they should have a waist....)

Oh - and too give their teeth a workout I give them a daily treat of a 1/2 a dog sized "Breathies" - much better than the kitty ones that are just tiny shreds. They love chewing on them. Just avoid the ones with lavender (Mellow Mutt) - many essential oils are toxic to cats. These are pretty much just dried meat strips (I get chicken and duck) - so no bad carbs in them either.
    Last edited by Eden; 10-06-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I highly recommend you check out catinfo.org. It explains pretty much everything you need to know about feline nutrition. My cats are the picture of health after switching them to quality canned food.

wackyjacky,
    thanks for the link. i was surprised to find that my catfood recipe is more "natural" than hers.

My catfood recipe:
    whole chicken
    4 egg yolks
    1 pound liver
    1 pound chicken hearts.
    4 squirts of salmon oil
    water
    grind the chicken, liver, and hearts, add water and salmon oil and eggs; put into containers, freeze.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Uchuva gets 1/2 c a day of dry food (Nutra nuggets) and is the "right" weight. She nibbles at it all day and I never put more food in it until it is gone, so some days she gets less than 1/2. She has a beautiful soft shiny coat and seems to be a happy healthy cat.

Oddly Tortilla doesn't usually finish her food but she probably is being given the option of too much to eat. What kind of can food do most of you use? I haven't taken her to the vet yet because DH thinks I am overreacting. She is a pretty active indoor cat and has lovely coat. I have always had indoor/outdoor cats so they naturally stayed lean. Doesn't help her they know she is manx and they believe she is part Maine Coon, she should be large but not tubby swinging belly big!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I've found all meat foods to be hard to find. I give my kitties Ziwi Peak - no grains, no veggies. I've been supplementing with a little BG canned too as my two were getting a bit skinny.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Oh can I relate.
    And I have been thru all the website info on raw diet, homemade diet, etc when one of my cats had problems w/ Inflammatory Bowel.

But I am off course...last summer we found the "kittens". I found out they did NOT have an "off" button when it comes to eating. Serously, you are supposed to keep food avaialbe at all times for kittens, but they got fat.

2nd problem: multi cat household, some fat and only a couple thin (old sick girl first mentioned)

3rd problem: although had them all on organic or other "non" grocery store or vet distrubuted brands I have a cat w/ renal failure (d/t blocked urethera way back when). Putting HIM on the prescription diet DID help get his BUN/CR down...but everyone is on it. I hate that it is not more natural. And it is not low cal/low fat.

So I have an 18 pound cat w/ renal failure (not the typical renal failure cat)
    Finally fixed my IBD cat w/ prednisone (tried everythign else--this works) and man what an appetite she has now. She is about to go from underweight to overweight in record time!

2 over weight 1 year olds.

And the timid cat..normal weight.

But then again, both the of their mommies have a few pounds to shed. When we go to the vet I am sure they are saying...."Here comes the fat family"!

I did digress some...(hyjacked?)...There is a LOT out there about how bad dry food is.
    If I only had one cat I would not do the dry and focus on wet food that is mostly (if not all) protien. As some have said here.

K
    katluvr

I have made her an appointment for Saturday to see the vet. I don't get her food at the grocery store but I do go to Petsmart. Maybe I will look around for other options. She is not the most awfully fat cat I have seen but she is too large, I would guess she needed to put on a little weight when we got her but not this much!

Do you have to worry about their teeth if they eat only wet food?
    Amanda