Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core training?

Core training?

To disable ads, please log-in.

How much / how often do you do core work?

I know I need to, but just struggle to fit it in. Looking for some good ideas here. I am training for a long-distance triathlon and so I train about 2-3 hours during the week and more on weekends.

thanks,
    Laura
    Laura

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I do pilates 3-4 times a week (class 1x + at home), yoga 2 times per week. Helps with my back and riding comfort because I can support myself with my core better.

What's your current 3-4 hours consist of?
    Running and cycling only?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Laura, I try to encorporate my core workouts with my other workouts. Eg I'll do push-ups with my feet on the ball when I do my strength training and I'll add a little knee tuck on the up part of the push-up and I do pull ups with a rope instead of lat pulldowns, I'll do 8 x 50 butterfly kick with fins when I go to the pool. If I try to make core a separate workout, it never happens. So I sneak it in with the other stuff. I try to work in 5 to 10 min of core 4 to 5 days a week.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

My problem is working my other workouts into my core work out (back problem)
    Actually its not a problem at all.

Take a look at these sites
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/bl_core.htm?nl=1
    and
    http://us.f317.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Sho...ox=@S@Search&&

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    I do pull ups with a rope
    I'm in utter awe.

Thanks for the ideas, I think sneaking it into other stuff may be the best way to go, since 'dedicating separate time' only worked when I had Pilates classes near my house in AZ.

Here in Montgomery, Alabama, which some people may confuse for a big city, there are even less options (appealing ones, that is) than in a tiny town in AZ. Hmmm.

thanks
    Laura
    Laura

Laura, if you have access to a gym....

My two favorite core exercises are decline sit ups and back extensions. I try and make sure my stomach is tight the whole time I'm lifting and then I always do decline sit ups and back extensions at the end. I go to the gym 2-3x per week right now so core work is the same.

Decline sit ups are fantastic because they work your overall trunk similar to planks with the added ab work. But most specifically, I love them because of how much they also work your hip flexors!! Oh baby that's some good stuff, especially for cycling/cyclists. These are done on a bench where you lay on your back and it's angled down towards the ground. Your feet/knees are higher than your head. They generally have one or two big foam rollers to throw your feet behind. If you want to do these, make sure the angle is not steep. Your hip flexors will probably get pissed off at first but the more you do them, the stronger they (and your core) will get.

Back extensions, I find, are imperative. Without doing these, I would never be able to ride aero on the hoods or down in my drops at a really hard pace. These work your spinus erectus muscles that parallel your spine, especially down by your lumbars. These are done on a little platform that's at a 45 degree angle. There's two platforms for your feet and a large pad where your hips rest against. The height setting for the pad should be tall enough so that your body weight rests in a comfortable spot at your hips. Too low and your weight will be all on your quads (and it hurts). These are done slowly both bending up until your back is straight (so your whole body will be at a 45 degree angle in a straight line) and then bending at the hips back down. That's some good stuff too.

Good luck!

You can also do the back extensions on a fit ball if you don't belong to a gym.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Eg I'll do push-ups with my feet on the ball when I do my strength training and I'll add a little knee tuck on the up part of the push-up...
    I'm trying to picture when you say the knee tuck, 'cause this is how I do my push ups too.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I'm in utter awe.
    Don't be. I can only do 2 at a time then I put my feet on a big gym ball and do more reps self assist. The cool thing about that is that I get to do more pull-ups and the gym ball really works your core as you try to keep the ball lined up the right way.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

core workouts

Hello!

Core workouts can be done along with your strength routine. Like any other muscle you want to give your core muscles enough rest, so every other day (e.g Monday wednesday friday) is usually good.

that being said, core workouts come in many shapes and sizes. Where the harder core stuff (such as plank, back extensions etc) should be done every other day, some relatively easier stuff (kiegel, simple pelvic floor exercises) can be done every day.

I recommend working with a trainer to learn the proper technique and the exercises that are appropriate for your "Core needs". We all have different weaknesses and postural issues that need to be addressed for an effective core workout.

Have fun
    Han
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

More push-up variations...

You can do knee tuck push-ups without a stability ball too, just (obviously) one knee at a time, bringing the knee across and in toward the opposite shoulder. Or push up with your feet on the ground and your hands on the ball.

"Gliding" is popular these days too, you can do it on carpet with paper plates or on hardwood with fleece rags (fuzzy side down). Any of the push-up variations that we used to do on the slideboards, and more. Put the plates under your hands and bring your arms wide on the down phase, back under your shoulders when you push up. Start on your knees and extend your arms overhead, then back under your shoulders to push up, kind of like those ab wheel exercises. Then you can put the plates under your toes and do knee tuck push-ups without raising the leg, just sliding it along the floor (which makes you keep your hips down farther), or the same thing with a hip abduction.

I've just started crossfit training. It incorporates a lot of strength-training movements that train the core along with everything else.

A sample workout:

20 "thrusters" (Hold dumbells at your shoulders, drop into a full, deep squat, then explode up and press the dumbells up at the same time)
    20 Vertical jumps (stand in one spot, jump as high as you can, land, repeat)
    20 "kipping" pullups (google "crossfit kipping pullup" for a video- these are great for the core because you involve the entire body)
    20 (each leg) walking lunges

Repeat 3-5 times, depending on your conditioning (you can adjust reps, too)

Other workouts will go to the opposite end of the spectrum-
    8 single repetitions of the deadlift (very heavy with long rest breaks)
    ...or any other compound movement

Crossfit gyms are popping up all over the place. I'd encourage everyone to try it out, because it's an awesome workout that you can do in a relatively short period of time.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post

"Gliding" is popular these days too,
    Again?

I was thumbing through a Shape or Fitness magazine while waiting for a script and came across a workout with a woman dressed like Jane Fonda. The model was demonstrating stuff we used to do when I belonged to the Richard Simmons Studio !