Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trainer vs. outdoors

To disable ads, please log-in.

I usually spend an hour or so on the trainer. Would this equate to something different on the road? I'm trying to figure out how to build up base miles indoors when the weather's crummy.

Drtgirl,

I'm also using the trainer to build up base miles, and I think it's fantastic! It's a way for me to get training in consistently. I've found that it's easier for me to ride quickly outside on flat terrain with no wind than it is for me to ride on the trainer.

Using the trainer builds up cycling specific muscles, toughens your tush, and gets the cardio-system back in shape. Obviously using the trainer doesn't help your bike handling skills, so be careful on your first few outdoor rides.

While you don't have to deal with wind or hills on the trainer, I find that I do a lot less coasting, and I never have to wait for stop lights. Or mechanicals, for that matter.

Trainer miles are a great way to do workouts at specific intensities -- you can control the pace, rather than letting the terrain or climate determine your intensity.

Just my $.02 -- I'm sure others will have valuable input as well.

-- Melissa

How long are your rides (not including interval sessions)?

It depends.

For example, today I did a 45 minute ride on the trainer, and it included some intervals.

Yesterday I did a 30 minute recovery ride. Intensity was around 65% of max heart rate.

Saturday I did 3 and a half hours at a pretty low intensity (~70% of max heart rate) -- long, steady distance.

Sunday I did 2 and a half hours at an even lower intensity. I'm training the California AIDS Lifecycle ride, so I'm practicing doing longer rides on back to back days.

-- Melissa

3 hours on a trainer? That is insane

The secret is to have something good on TV to watch.

For the longer rides, I have a TV tray next to my bike & trainer with:
    1. My TiVo remote
    2. Extra bottles of water
    3. Food
    4. The phone

Another secret for longer rides is that you'd better LOVE your cycling shorts. After this weekend, I've decided to retire a couple of pairs of Bellwether shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drtgirl View Post
    Just call me insane, too, then

I try to get one trainer ride of more than 2 hours once a week. I've managed a little over 3 hours last week. After the first hour, I just fall into a rhythm and the time flows well. Of course, DH also has a trainer so we keep each other company.

We've got a pattern similar to Melissa. Two interval sessions in a week, a short, low intensity recovery ride, a long ride of 2.5 - 3 hours and another longish ride (1.5 hour) at a moderate intensity.

Last year we did similar except that our long ride was just over 2 hours. When spring came around we found that a 3 hour road ride was not a problem to do without any build up. Plus the intervals had us stronger on the hills and spring winds.

I think the mapping between indoor and outdoor miles is a bit fuzzy. It depends upon how hard you work indoors vs. how hard you work outdoors. We "train" in the winter to just ride in the summer so I think our indoor miles give us more outdoor miles than, say, someone who rides hard in the summer and just sits and spins inside in the winter. Very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Just call me insane, too, then
    Welcome to the ranks of insanity!

Yo there, chica!

I have some pretty good indoor trainer workouts that I can send you. They're anywhere from 1 hour to 2+ hours on the daggon bike, but if you put on a good movie or something, you can get through them.

The toughest thing, I have found, is boredom. Sometimes, I just cannot keep myself moving...in my honest opinion...when that happens, buckle down for a few major intensity intervals, cool down, and GET OFF! Not worth it to hate that machine by April when the weather is ROCKIN'! (At least on the Eastern Seaboard )
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

Hey! Long time no see.

My trainer's in the garage so I don't have the luxury of watching TV I can ride up to 1.5 hours with no problem, as long as I have great music playing. I rigged up a little handlebar magazine holder and that helps pass the time.

I'll take any and all workouts! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Drtgirl View Post
    Yup - 2 hours is my max tolerance for a trainer! 3 hours? Don't think I could do it!

And like Melissa says - something good on TV to watch (or a good album to listen to)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Alright. I think I'm officially certifiable. I have done as much as 5 hours on the trainer.

I also watch movies or series of movies, eg all the Indiana Jones, all the original Star Wars... I also take a short (<5min) break every hour to get off and stretch.

I play games with myself on long rides, like switching gears every 5 min and adjusting my cadence to keep my speed or HR the same. I do a lot of form drills, standing drills, all kinds of stuff just ot mix it up.

Now that I'm working more on power, I've been using spinervals more and I like it, but they are tough. The longest I've been on the trainer this winter season is 2 hours.

The trainer is fantastic for a quick 30 recovery ride. Helps loosen everything up, makes you feel better and it's over before you know it.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Hey K,

What about a laptop? If you guys have one, you could use that outside to play movies? That's actually what I do...the trainer is in my office and I play episodes of Rome on the computer while I ride!

S
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

If you don't have a TV, you might try some of the Spinerval audio CDs. They're less expensive, and you can use a portable CD player, or load them on your iPod.

I only have one of these, but I really like it. It is a pyramid of high cadence intervals, and goes for 45 minutes. But, I can also use the interval cues to do high resistance muscle tension intervals, too. Or, you could use the intervals to do standing/sitting intervals, whatever.

I think it helps to get in a good structured 90 minute workout on the trainer, and you don't need a TV.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury