Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    1 hour down, 17 more to go. Hopefully more than that but we will see how my neck does
    How on earth do you spend that long on a trainer?! My attention span gives out at far less than that!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    How on earth do you spend that long on a trainer?! My attention span gives out at far less than that!
    Tonight I was in spinning class, and I always start early to warm up as it is a kick a*s class. I am moderating things right now for my neck but I still want to warm up.

So far the longest I've been able to tolerate the trainer is an hour, but that last 15 minutes is hard...good movies help

1 hour down...19 to go. Does not sound too bad Tomorrow I hope for the same. Maybe some quality time with Coach Troy vs a movie.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    It appears I have a stress fracture in my tibia, so there will be no running for me for at least 6 weeks. I'm glad that I have this challenge to keep my sanity.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Ohh... that's sucky. At least it's winter. I know, that's not much of a bright spot.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I can go up to about 1 and 1/2 hours on the trainer. That usually involves either Coach Troy, watching a sporting event on tv or listening to tunes while spinning along with a Global Ride or Bike O Vision DVD.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I 'videotize' myself -- I placed a TV with a blue ray player (one that has a USB port) in front of the TV. I do a workout from "The Sufferfest" series or put a recorded episode of something. However, before getting sufferfest videos last winter, I could never tolerate more than 30 minutes of the trainer.

Riding the trainer is a difficult thing.

Our LBS has a set of 4 computrainers in the shop. I try and get there once a week to ride with friends. The nice thing about the computrainer, you get to ride with your friends even though we're all at different levels. And having company helps the time go by.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I could never do more than 45 minutes on a trainer, I can do a 45 minute spin class with a good 20 minute warm up. Something about being there with a group of people suffering and an instructor with contagious energy helps.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Doing more than an hour on the trainer is soooo hard for me. I had a friend that trained for an IM doing ALL her miles on the trainer (she lived in Minnesota and trained during the winter for a spring IM). Her longest ride was 7 hours. I would have surely lost my sanity long before the 3 hour mark.

Why do you like the Sufferfest videos so much pll?? What about them made you get past that 30 minute barrier?
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 12-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Why do you like the Sufferfest videos so much pll?? What about them made you get past that 30 minute barrier?
    The music is *very* helpful for me, as well as the structured workout. I tried some other DVDs and I found I hated the talking and the overload of information, plus the music was bad. The guy who does the Sufferfest has some quirky sense of humor and the video includes some heckles. Instruction, quirky comments and heckles are flashed on the screen, there is no talking on the video. And the price is right for me ($12 versus $30 for a DVD).

ETA: 7 hours on the trainer? OMG.

2/2

30 minutes tonight. Was intended to be easy. I got carried away near the end.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I did 3 hours once with Coach Troy's Tough Love video. I'm going to have to do it again this winter. I like the DVDs where I can turn off the music and listen to my own stuff.

I did 2.5 hours once using two different videos - Mental Toughness and Hillacious. That worked well because I used the change of video break for the bathroom and to refill my water bottle.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Even with movies (in this case, Dad's Army episodes), I can only manage half an hour. I have the attention span of a small fish.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    The music is *very* helpful for me, as well as the structured workout. I tried some other DVDs and I found I hated the talking and the overload of information, plus the music was bad. The guy who does the Sufferfest has some quirky sense of humor and the video includes some heckles. Instruction, quirky comments and heckles are flashed on the screen, there is no talking on the video. And the price is right for me ($12 versus $30 for a DVD).

Great to know! Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for *something* to make indoor riding during the winter a little less painful. I'm putting one on my Christmas list. Is there any one that you like more than another?

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)