Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Check out Spokes, Etc. right there in downtown Vienna. I've found them incredibly helpful. I too am a fairly new rider (about a year and a half) and also tall and heavy. I bought a road bike from the get-go because I knew I wanted to ride long distance and started training for a century from the very first day I bought it. That's not to say a road bike is best for you. I don't know enough about the different kinds of bikes to give you any advice there.

I will, however, echo what some others have said -- I, too, kept breaking spokes on my rear wheel. When I broke the third one in a 10-day period, I took it back to Spokes, Etc. and told them my problem. They, too, were kind enough not to tell me it was because I was too fat. They just said that bike (Specialized Sequoia) didn't come with very good wheels. They replaced my rear wheel with a sturdier one, and I haven't had a single problem since. (Now, watch, I'll break a spoke on my next ride after saying that).

And, since you're in Vienna, you probably already know about the W&OD trail -- a wonderful, wonderful place to bike, regardless of if you have a hybrid, mountain or road bike. 45 miles of nice, smooth pavement for riding!

Hi, and welcome to the forum! (is that an echo???)
    I too am fairly tall (5'9") and heavier than I'd like to be (about 192lbs when I (re-)started biking, about 10 less now). I started out on a "comfort bike", a Giant Se..something or other, Sedona? Sierra? Oneathose. Boy was she ever heavy! Just ask Trek420 who lifted her onto a car-top rack once! But for commuting around town and getting in shape initially, she did the job. And she was cheap. When I decided I could afford it, I traded her in and upgraded to a Trek "fitness bike". This is still a hybrid, but muuuuuch lighter weight and with a somewhat more forward-leaning sitting position (i.e. slightly more aerodynamic). Between those two, I also have an older Trek 7000 (steel hybrid) but didn't have it with me last year when I did all that biking. The 7000 is now my bad-weather bike (or will be when I get a decent saddle on it). The new faster, lighter, sleeker 7.6 will be for long rides (wheeeee ) and good-weather commutes. I may even put studded tires on the 7000 and try winter commuting this year .

The most important thing with all these bikes was how they felt when I test rode them -- how they fit, whether I was comfortable with the gear range, whether I was comfortable with the seating angle. I can't crouch double like racers do, because I wear an ostomy bag. Sitting pretty much straight up is more comfortable and down leaves me less nervous about the bandage coming undone. And I'm lousy at hills, so I need some seriously low gears ... although a few high ones for speed on the flat road or a downhill are nice too.

Anyway, the conclusion is:
    Look at hybrids. There's a whole range of them from "comfort" to nearly road bikes. Within that range, you just need to test ride them and find out what feels right. If it feels right you'll ride it, and that's what you're aiming for. Have fun!
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Wow, I'm a similar weight and I've never broken a spoke. But I have a real hard time with the bike shops. I think they see an overweight woman, and they just don't want to help you or they have stereotypes about what kind of riding you're going to do.

I first rode a Bianchi Brava (loved it), but I got hit by a car and the bike frame was totaled. I now ride a Litespeed Capella and recently bought a comfort bike for commuting next spring.

My advice to you is to not worry about the brand but go in and try to find something you can ride comfortably to work as well as on weekends.

I'm taller, but I'm WAY HEAVIER (to the tune of 250 lbs these days) than that and haven't ever broken a spoke.... but my front wheel's needed truing a little more often than I like to admit.

I count myself lucky that the guys at the LBS where I bought my Sirrus were totally cool and made absolutely no judgements of me based on my appearance. I bought a hybrid that is on the "road" end of the spectrum, though she's a little bit heavy. 700 cc wheels have been fine once I learned that it really is crucial to check the pressure every few days. I use the Sirrus for exactly what it was made for - riding on the streets in town, commuting. It's a great bike.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well we haven't heard a thing back from the new member who started this thread....I wonder if she ever got her bike?? I hope she found a good bike to "hold her goodies" as she put it!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Well we haven't heard a thing back from the new member who started this thread....I wonder if she ever got her bike?? I hope she found a good bike to "hold her goodies" as she put it!

There are a few I wonder about. Remember Shasta? and mmelindas? melinda had some health problems and I wonder how that played out. Oh, and there was BamaKathy. All were really working hard to get fit. I wish they would come back and tell us how they are, and if they "fell off the wagon", come back and get some inspiration!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

thanks for this thread

I am picking up cycling again, but this time I hope to build my miles up to a decent amount each week. My issue is that I have lost most of my flexibility due to age and 42 years w/type 1 diabetes and for that reason, i decided to buy a Marion San Rafael Ez Step. BUT, after two weeks with this bike, it is just not working. I was glad to read this thread as i have recently been looking at the trek 7.2 fx wsd. I feel this bike will allow me to enjoy more miles each week (than the San Rafael). Road bikes are not an option at this point. I am hoping that i can comfortably ride 30+ miles on the 7.2 fx in one ride, and ride 80 + miles a week. Any comments?? Thanks in advance! (I am 5'6" 180#)
    2009 Marin San Rafael EZ Step
    Just sold 1994 Gary Fisher Tassajara (and I miss it)

Quote Originally Posted by NickiSue View Post
    I am picking up cycling again, but this time I hope to build my miles up to a decent amount each week. My issue is that I have lost most of my flexibility due to age and 42 years w/type 1 diabetes and for that reason, i decided to buy a Marion San Rafael Ez Step. BUT, after two weeks with this bike, it is just not working. I was glad to read this thread as i have recently been looking at the trek 7.2 fx wsd. I feel this bike will allow me to enjoy more miles each week (than the San Rafael). Road bikes are not an option at this point. I am hoping that i can comfortably ride 30+ miles on the 7.2 fx in one ride, and ride 80 + miles a week. Any comments?? Thanks in advance! (I am 5'6" 180#)
    There's also the Specialized Sirrus which you might want to test ride. It comes in WSD, too, which you may or may not need based on your proportions. I test rode one last year and was impressed:

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/m...sirrus-reviews

Test ride as many bikes as you can. The main thing is that you're comfortable. Once you get that figured out, you'll be able to meet those goals. I ride 100 miles per week, usually 20 miles at a time, and I still have rest days and time to do other things.

Flexibility can come back with a little effort, and people on this forum have made great progress managing diabetes with cycling, so you're making a good decision to give this a try.

You may also want to start your own thread, since this one is really old, and you're not really a big girl.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I weigh 130 and recently broke a spoke in 1+ month old Easton wheels. Needless to say I sent them back!! Luckily they had a guarantee! Prior to this I had never broken a single one in almost 3 years riding.

thank you

Redrhodie, Thank you for your response. I will find out where i can see the sirrus and test ride. I did a quick 10 miles today on the san rafael and liked it a bit more, but there is just something that holds me back...from committing. I will start my own thread after i do a bit more homework. 100 miles a week, what a wonderful number! Someday i hope to share that number! Funny, I saw the date as october and neglected to notice the year! lol.
    2009 Marin San Rafael EZ Step
    Just sold 1994 Gary Fisher Tassajara (and I miss it)

Quote Originally Posted by NickiSue View Post
    Redrhodie, Thank you for your response. I will find out where i can see the sirrus and test ride. I did a quick 10 miles today on the san rafael and liked it a bit more, but there is just something that holds me back...from committing. I will start my own thread after i do a bit more homework. 100 miles a week, what a wonderful number! Someday i hope to share that number! Funny, I saw the date as october and neglected to notice the year! lol.
    Well, 10 miles is a good start. That was my normal ride length when I started, and it was hard at first (I'd come home with jelly legs). Still, test ride some other bikes, because there might be something better for you, one that will make you say ahhhhh when you hop on.

100 miles is piddly around this forum, but to compare is to despair! Do what works for you, and that might be half as much, or twice as much. When you get it right, you'll know it because you won't have any repetitive injuries, you'll have energy and feel great, and still time for other things.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    As I was reading I was trying to visualize what a bike would look like without a fork and thought "Whoaaaaa pretty amazing, I've got to surf, find and take a look at one of these contraptions" Thanks for the clarification - saved much web time

I know this is off topic, but there is a forkless bike out there believe it or not.
    Take a look. http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat...s-bicycle.html