Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Lamb or Lion? March running...

To disable ads, please log-in.

The first was a beautiful day, but I'll rate March as coming in like a pride of hungry, angry lions out for blood with the tornados of Feb 29 and Mar 2.

But this morning was beautiful for running, cool and sunny and a bit windy. Finally, I managed to get a long run outside. Meant to go 12 miles, but only went 10. As usual, I struggled to keep my speed down early, and payed for it later. But it was weird to be enjoying such a pretty morning, when there's so much destruction and suffering from yesterday's storms so close by...

4 miles on March 2. Hard, hot. But glad to get 4 in -- first time in a few weeks.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ended February by running three days in a row (Sun - Tues), which is my longest stretch in years. Held up fine, surprisingly, even my easily-irritated calf triggerpoints! On the 27th and 28th, I ran 5.4 miles at work. The run on the 28th was tough because it was later and I didn't get a chance to have breakfast because I had to go to a meeting first. On 1 March, I had an enjoyable 5.4 miler in nice spring morning temps (high 50s). Got to wear shorts, which was a treat! Today's long run was my longest yet - 6.25 miles. It was in the low 40s but the windchills were in the 30s. Felt good, especially the first four miles, and I got to see two really sweet dogs, one of whom ran with me for a little bit until his daddy called him back (he was off-leash, which is a mortal sin in the county in which I reside---no complaints from me because the dog was very well behaved).

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I got in my first run in a couple of weeks on March 1st and it was pretty good. Did 3.5 miles after work before it started to get dark. AND, the rain held off until I was walking towards the car, so I was pleased.

Yesterday, I got bowled over by our dogs while I was holding a big bin of hay and standing in a very muddy spot. I fell, full weight of myself and the hay on my right foot while it was twisted underneath me due to the mud. Felt a snap, screamed in pain and then laid there in the mud wondering how I was going to wait 4 hours for my husband to get home. Luckily, after a few minutes, I found myself able to walk on it a little, so I finished my chores. It was clear that I could put weight on my heel, but not on the forefoot at all.

I managed to get a few other errands run including driving to pick up my husband. By mid afternoon, the swelling and pain was too much to bear, so we went to the emergency room. X-rays revealed that I broke my 4th metatarsal. No more running for me for awhile!

I'm going to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon and sports guy tomorrow morning and hopefully get a more detailed prognosis. Until then, I'm trying really hard not to imagine worst-case scenarios. I had a VERY busy spring planned in terms of races (1 sprint tri, 2 half marathons and 2 oly tri's between May and June!). I'm already not going to be doing the Shamrock run here in Portland on March 18th...but I'm hoping I can make some of those other races come May.

I HATE lying around when there is so much to do, too. Oh, and I can't drive either. Not sure how we are going to make this work! AAARGHHHHH!!! (frustration is high and it's only been 24 hours!)
    Last edited by GLC1968; 03-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Sorry, GLC. Try to be patient.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh GLC - I'm so sorry That really, really sucks!!!! Keep us updated!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Oh, man, GLC, that stinks. Heal up quick.

All week I've been ... not fighting, mostly giving in to ... deep fatigue, not sure why. Maybe the pollen - my new shots are taking care of a lot of the symptoms but obviously not all of them yet (they say it'll be next season before I'm completely built up), and maybe fatigue is one of the last to resolve. Anyway - three minute repeats x 5 on Tuesday, nine miles with a few bridge repeats yesterday, and that's all the running I've managed this week. A little yoga, a little cycling - hopefully I'll be able to get a good run in tomorrow.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh, GLC, that's awful.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Oh, GLC. That stinks (and I read your blog - and that doubly stinks!).
    I hope you get a good prognosis and heal well. Maybe you can defer the Spring tri's and get into some later in the summer. Your grand comeback!

I achieved a distance record today (for me). 7.6 miles. I met up with a local running club that meets at 8 a.m. in a park. I actually hung with 4 others for 3.5 miles, but they were a wee bit faster than I wanted to be running (and since the path follows a creek bed, I was aware that we were doing this running down stream (that is...down hill) and I'd have to turn around and run UP the stream alone, as my goal was 8, and they were doing 9. Granted, it's not like it's a big hill, but you feel it when the legs are tired and you're going solo past your limits. And...after my run, I pulled the TT bike out of the back of the truck and rode (down and back up that same stream) 22 miles. That was a slow and easy ride. Just wanted to spin the legs and get used to a bike I haven't been on since October.

Ugh. Pooped.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

That sucks, GLC. Heal quickly.

Oak, I hope you feel less fatigued soon.

7rider, good job on your PR.

Yesterday was a scheduled rest day, having exercised the previous seven. Today, I was scheduled to run, but the TRX workout I did with my trainer on Friday did me in. I was just your average sore yesterday, but today I can barely walk. It mostly hurts at the top of my thighs. Sort of where they meat my hips. Clearly we overdid something (mountain climbers? reverse lunges?). We'll discuss next week. I want him to push me, but not such that I can 't do my other workouts.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

GLC, how awful!

No run for me this morning-- we got our biggest snow of the winter (spring?) overnight, about 4 or 5 inches of wet, heavy stuff. But I got a good workout walking my dog through fresh, unbroken snow, then shoveling my sidewalk and an elderly neighbor's. If I make it to the gym for yoga tonight I might hop on the treadmill, but maybe not...

GLC--so sorry to hear that! Hope your appt. goes well and that you have a quick and complete recovery.

I had an 11-miler on the books. But I haven't been keeping up on my running and my DS was sick all weekend. Friday I ended up having a high fever and feeling HORRIBLE. But I was determined to get in a long run on Sunday in-spite-of or, more accurately, because of all that (I can't afford to keep missing workouts!!!).

About 1 mile in I felt so horrible I wanted to walk home. But I pressed on.

1.5 miles in, my legs felt like lead. I was going to walk home.

But I pressed one. 2 miles in, no improvement. I wanted to quit.

I finally told myself to shut the heck up, stop thinking about how crappy my run was going, and just RUN. Run, darnit! Don't look at the Garmin. Don't listen to my leaden legs. Just run.

Managed to get in all 11 miles. Once I stopped freaking out about how slow my pace was, I was able to settle into a groove and had a good time.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thumbs up A PR today!

Good luck, GLC...what a bummer to have that happen at such a bad time with all your athletic goals!

I am pleased to report that I set a PR this morning - my longest run ever at 5.1 miles. I had done a couple of five-milers before (two on the treadmill, one outdoors), so I made sure to tack on just a little today to make it my longest. And I haven't run five miles for two years!

The difference between this morning's run and my usual runs here was that a "cold" front came through, so this morning was overcast, breezy, and cool (for here) at 72 degrees. Normally it's closer to 79-80 with full sunshine, and I now realize that that made more of a difference than I realized. I struggle to run 3-4 miles on the hot, sunny days.

We won't have too many days like today, but it was nice. For the first time in ages, I actually felt like I could have run farther. And I felt like a RUNNER.

Sweet!
    Emily

GLC--BUMMER! Hope it doesn't keep you down long!

Emily--Whoo Hoo! And you have always been a runner!

Race Report (late)
    So Sunday I did a 15k. As you all know my training has be less than optimal. But the Gasparilla Distance Classic is a race I do every year and the 15k is a unique distance. We splurged and stayed in the host hotel. (Race was in Tampa, over the bridge from St. Pete where we live). So nice to not have to get up super early to drive, then park. We just "walked" a few blocks to the race. It was a WARM day. Low 70's at the start and HUMID. This race is out and back along Bayshore Drive...it is how it sounds, along the bay. So there is NO shade. I started a bit fast. It is a HUGE race, so many people so you keep picking your way around folks so I am ALWAYS passing. It is so tempting to keep passing. I knew I was not going to hold but I just couldn't slow. It got hot quick. 80's, sunny, no shade. Half way mark I was on track for a GOOD PR. BY mile 6 I am slowing. I tried to alternate pace each mile. By mile 7 I am trying to not overheat. They had water misters but the wind was blowing the mist away from the road where we were racing...darn it. I did manage a PR 1:38:08. My best time before this was 1:39:XX (probable closer to 1:40). So although I was on track for a 1:36 at half way, I still hung on to PR. The pictures of me look like I am miserable and actually dying! Even though the warmth was a bit much I think I still run better in heat the freezing temperatures!

I was a bit sore (quads) after race. Went out for 4 miler today. Quads still tight and left hamstring or maybe it is more my perifomis (sp?) since it runs down my leg, too. I plan to foam roll a few times today.

Bought new shoes (minimalist) at expo....more to come on those!

K
    katluvr

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post
    I did manage a PR 1:38:08. My best time before this was 1:39:XX (probable closer to 1:40). So although I was on track for a 1:36 at half way, I still hung on to PR. The pictures of me look like I am miserable and actually dying! Even though the warmth was a bit much I think I still run better in heat the freezing temperatures!
    Congratulations on your PR!

I probably run better in the heat than I would in *freezing* temps, but there's a LOT of ground in between that. I think 50s-60s are optimal for running for me, and here we have 70s-80s (and humid). It's hard on the body and slows me way down.
    Emily