Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cycling on your menstrual Cycle?

To disable ads, please log-in.

How does it effect you?
    positive, negative?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    More sensitive. The only time my Specialized Toupe bothers me. But not that much.

Menstrual cup menstrual cup menstrual cup.

Oh yeah. And get a menstrual cup.
    oh yes, I have a diva cup, best thing ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    More sensitive. The only time my Specialized Toupe bothers me. But not that much.

Menstrual cup menstrual cup menstrual cup.

Oh yeah. And get a menstrual cup.
    Did anyone mention the cup yet? So much more comfortable, no chafing, I forget it's there. I love you, cup.

The biggest thing I notice is being more tired, so I have to be a little more careful about spreading myself too thin or I won't get on the bike at all, which helps ease cramps and stress. I also get different pressure on my bladder and general discomfort so I might adjust or prefer a different position on the bike.

No issues at all, but then again, my period has never been much of an issue in general for me.

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

I find I tend to have more energy during, it's just before when I am cranky and frustrated with everything.

And oh yeah, the cup.
    I can do five more miles.

I get really bad cramps sometimes, and while I know the exercise helps, I really don't want to get off the couch on those days! So I don't. I do ride on the tail end once the worst of the cramps and bleeding has passed, though. I keep a tampon in my seat bag.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I rarely had menstrual cramps. (I'm perimenopause now.)

It was when it was humid and hot in temps. 85+ degrees F that I would feel just a little bit more tired and only for long bike rides over 65-70 km.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Dammit, I wish I could find a cup that didn't leak. I've tried the Diva Cup, the Mooncup US, and the disposable Instead. All either were uncomfortable and/or leaked. The Instead was the best, but still leaked...so I'm back to tampons. Fortunately I will be done with this period when I do my ride across the state in 6 days.

I definitely seem to find that things are more sensitive during my period. I can have uncomfortable rides at any time, but the likelihood seems greater during my flow...of course, I have 23 day cycles and bleed for about 8 days, so I have this issue about a third of the time. *sigh*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm suffering this issue just now. I had a few days off the bike waiting for a saddle sore to heal... and wouldn't you know it, the day it was gone was the day Auntie Flo came a-knockin'!

Does anyone have any advice on which pads to get? My body won't accept any inserts, so no cups or tampons for me...

I'm years past it and no recommendations for Swan, but Zoom, have you tried The Keeper? It definitely fits differently than the Diva Cup (which is what I got after my dog ate my Keeper ) In my body, the Keeper worked a lot better than the Diva Cup.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hmmm...it doesn't look all that different. How did it work differently for you?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I'm also "past it," but what do you mean Swan, when you say that your body won't accept it?
    I can't imagine cycling in any kind of "pad," but then, I started wearing tampons when I was 16 and didn't stop until my periods stopped at 48.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Hmmm...it doesn't look all that different. How did it work differently for you?
    The shape is just slightly different, but the latex conforms very differently than the silicone does. It's a little firmer, so for me it was easier to place and less likely to leak.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I'm also "past it," but what do you mean Swan, when you say that your body won't accept it?
    I can't imagine cycling in any kind of "pad," but then, I started wearing tampons when I was 16 and didn't stop until my periods stopped at 48.
    Eurgh, yeah, I'm kind of annoyed with having to cycle with pads, but I'm sure there are some for sporty girls out there. I answered the question
    Last edited by Swan; 12-20-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Don't mean to get personal, Swan, but since I'm a therapist, I have to say that there is treatment for that, whether it's primary or secondary. Treatment is a combination of mental health and medical strategies.
    Won't bring it up again...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport