Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just think about this scenario: You are riding at the left side of the road and got a little bit distracted by the music and indadvertedly drifted to the right and didn't hear the approaching super fast cyclist behind you screaming "at your left" but you didn't hear him/her since you were listening to music on your headphones. The upcoming cyclist may be able to maneuver the bike and don't crash into you. If the cyclist is a newbie like myself still learning how to handle the bike in emergency situations, chances are that I'm going to crash either into you or other approaching objects/people. In my case, music makes me nervous instead of relaxing me because it deprives me of my hearing sense. Headwind also makes me nervous that's why I used a small rearview mirror to be sure that nobody is approaching me when I'm going to pass other cyclists or people. I still look back no matter what. I think this is a matter of safety (first) and education. Some states offer classes about road cycling and safety. In Florida the FL bike association offers clinics about cycling savvy which includes, safety, bike handling in emergencies and a 3 hour classroom session were other important topics are discussed as well. Check the internet to see if you can take advantage of courses offered in your area.
    Last edited by Maye; 05-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Ah one of the age old controversies...

It is my personal opinion that wearing headphones while riding a bike is dangerous and inadvisable. I firmly believe that simply plugging your ears (even if you keep the volume pretty low) takes your mind to a different place. It's not just the music.... its the earphones. In this state using headphones in a car is illegal - while certainly listening to the radio is not.

Some people will argue that headphones actually help them concentrate - so they like to use them to study etc. and that is why they feel safe riding with them. Actually, I totally believe that - and IMHO it backs up why I feel the totally opposite way. The headphones *do* help them in that manner. They allow the person to block out their surroundings and focus of the task of studying. Cycling, on the other hand, you need to have an acute awareness of all of your surroundings and be monitoring many things all of the time. Having good focus is not what you want. You need to be able to hear and process a great amount and I think headphones cut down on a person's ability to do both of those things.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I am not into music at all, never know the names of songs or artists. That said, I usually have the radio on in the car, on a low volume. I never change the station, though!
    I stopped using my I Pod for walking and running a few years ago, because I found I was fiddling with it too much and I just wanted to concentrate on the meditative aspects of running. And, the music didn't really help me go faster or inspire me. Not sure why I used the I Pod to begin with. Very occasionally I use it if I am on the treadmill at the gym, which never happens now, since I have a treadmill at home.
    I cannot convince DH to not use his music when he commutes. He has one earbud in and is convinced he can hear everything. We have had several arguments over this. He's normally very safety conscious and I have given up. It disturbs me. Maybe, since I already have a slight hearing loss, I know I couldn't be as alert with music while riding.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

A guy that rides in a group I ride with has a bike radio. It mounts on his top tube and uses bluetooth to play tunes from his smart phone. I can't remember the name, but he said they no longer make them, but you can find them on ebay.

Seems like a much safer solution than ear buds.

Here's a listing on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cy-Fi-Wireless.../dp/B001L7X7ZG
    Last edited by carolync; 05-07-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    Specialized Ruby Elite Compact
    Trek 7.3 FX

Too dangerous for me and those I may encounter. The only time I listen to tunes on the bike is if I am sitting on the trainer in the basement!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

I don't listen to music on the bike, but there's always a song playing in my head. Today I did a climbing ride, and the best song came on my internal radio, "Relax" by Frankie goes to Hollywood. Really good climbing song. At another point, "Road to Nowhere" by the Talking Heads was on.

I love music.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I ride with music, also in traffic. It's possible to do so safely, just as it is possible to ride a bike safely when deaf, but I would not go out and recommend it to anyone because your safety depends on you not zoning out and getting distracted, and scanning your surroundings actively and often. My personal opinion is that you have to do this anyway to be safe. Relying on your hearing to hear something coming and not using your eyes is very dangerous.

Just for the record, since the same points often come up: I can hear sirens, and trucks, and cars through my earbuds, I just can't hear them from as great a distance. I don't drift anywhere, left or right, without checking my back. I ride the same commute every day, and know where every single intersection and driveway is. I would be bored out of my skull, especially in winter, if I couldn't listen to music.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I don't listen to music on the bike, but there's always a song playing in my head. Today I did a climbing ride, and the best song came on my internal radio, "Relax" by Frankie goes to Hollywood. Really good climbing song. At another point, "Road to Nowhere" by the Talking Heads was on.

I love music.
    Oh, that is so true ... especially climbing a hill on a solo ride. Sometimes I can't get my internal radio to stop repeating and just turn off!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't listen to any music on bike.

But then I forget to play music at home alot of the time. I actually find music directly going into my ear (via earbuds, etc.) for several hrs., gives me a slight headache. But sure, I listen to it at home.

I have had way too many incidents of enough solo cyclists that don't even saying anything nor ring their bell as a warning (if they have one) ride by me on either left or right (wrong!) side of me from behind me.

I've been cycling regularily for last 20 yrs.

*******There are alot of incompetent, inconsiderate cyclists out there who won't warn you in advice, when they want to/want to pass you from behind. This will increase, as the number of cyclists increase for some areas where cycling among populatin is increasing.

Of course, some of us have cycled in bear country. (I have.) Yea, on Vancouver Island, a cougar jumped from a height and onto a cyclist from behind. It was an attack.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 05-07-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Of course, some of us have cycled in bear country. (I have.) Yea, on Vancouver Island, a cougar jumped from a height and onto a cyclist from behind. It was an attack.
    What does this have to do with anything. It's not like you are going to hear a cougar before it attacks.... they are really good at stealth.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Absoluely irrelevant... but I'm bored

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    .... they are really good at stealth.
    So are my kitties. That shoe lace didn't know what hit it! And it's so funny when one of them jumps on the other.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

If I'm listening to music or the radio in the car I am NOT wearing headphones, so I think the comparison is a bad one. More than once I have almost had crashes with cyclists who are wearing headphones. It is just a bad idea.

Most times I do not listen to music while riding. I prefer to hear nature. But - once in a while I'm alone and on a really boring stretch of road, I plug in the right ear so the left is still listening for traffic. It does help.
    2009 Fuji Team

My blog - which rarely mentions cycling. It's really about decorating & food. http://www.crisangsteninteriors.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Do you listen to music in the car?

I think as adults we need to decide for ourselves and our own situations what is safe or not safe and whether or not our choices are worth the risk.

Veronica
    Yes, and studies repeatedly show it's a bad idea. I do it, though. I also listen (with my airdrives) when I lumber (my version of jogging). But, not when I ride unless it's on a bike trail.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Yes, and studies repeatedly show it's a bad idea. I do it, though. I also listen (with my airdrives) when I lumber (my version of jogging). But, not when I ride unless it's on a bike trail.

Maybe it's just me but I think ear buds on bike trails are the worst ( walkers, runners, bladers and bikers) I suspect people think that because there is no motorized vehicle traffic to worry about, they are safe. Wrong-o, imsho. The whole onyerleft onyerleft ONYERLEFT thing has been mentioned already.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM