Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Respiratory Resting Metabolic Rate Test

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone here ever had a respiratory resting metabolic rate test done?

Link below happens to have a short vid showing someone getting the test performed...
    http://www.personalnewtrition.com/Se...8/Default.aspx

One of the personal trainers at one of my gyms told me about it. I don't watch tv, but I guess they use this test on "The Biggest Loser" show also.

I would guess as you become fitter/thinner, then your past tests results becomes invalid? In the side article with this web link, it does mention this. Something about re-testing every 5lbs diff or 5% difference. Hmm, testing would add up pretty quickly. Don't know how much the validity is impacted.

Info / experiences, please share, thanks.
    Last edited by Miranda; 07-11-2011 at 09:10 AM.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I had it done about 4 years ago. The information was helpful to me (knowing what my BMR was to figure out exactly how many calories I needed to be taking in to lose/maintain weight), but i had it done by a friend of a friend and it wasn't very expensive at all (I think I paid $35).

How much do they charge?
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I had it done recently as well. I had that and body fat done and the folks that did it were glad I did as if they just went by my fat/lean percentages I would have had to cut my calories a lot more. The metabolic rate showed that I have a higher rate than just the 'fat pod' would have indicated. Perhaps due to being a bit more fit than my large size portrays.

I want to redo the body fat pod thingy in a few months, but hadn't thought much about redoing the metabolic rate analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    I had it done about 4 years ago. The information was helpful to me (knowing what my BMR was to figure out exactly how many calories I needed to be taking in to lose/maintain weight), but i had it done by a friend of a friend and it wasn't very expensive at all (I think I paid $35).

How much do they charge?
    $40 ...with a discount I receive as a gym employee

thanks for the feedback... I want to know for the reasons that you did it as well... I've went on line and did the estimation formulas... but as my trainer co-worker friend suggested, it would be more accurate, and what I seemed to be looking for as an answer

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I had it done recently as well. I had that and body fat done and the folks that did it were glad I did as if they just went by my fat/lean percentages I would have had to cut my calories a lot more. The metabolic rate showed that I have a higher rate than just the 'fat pod' would have indicated. Perhaps due to being a bit more fit than my large size portrays.

I want to redo the body fat pod thingy in a few months, but hadn't thought much about redoing the metabolic rate analysis.
    Agreed... I really wonder the same thing about myself.

I know I consume a lot of calories. Thus, it's not a mystery to me from a food consumption standpoint why I don't loose weight with my current exercise levels. However, at the same time it also blows my mind that I can maintain my weight as it would seem I still take in way more that my body puts out. I think the test would be worth it.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    that's not a bad price. Might be worth it to know the numbers- if you're a numbers person. I used to be. Now not so much.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    that's not a bad price. Might be worth it to know the numbers- if you're a numbers person. I used to be. Now not so much.
    Ha ha ha... yes, I know what you mean. I am a numbers person. But some things I have reverted the other way totally. Part of me does want to know my number... um, then this other part does not....

because I would actually have to count calories then *gasp & sigh*

I actually had it done at my gym quite a number of years ago. Frankly, the results were rather shocking. At the time, I was on a very strict, low cal, high exercise diet. I had a 19% body fat (same as right now, actually). My RMR was less than 1000 calories (I believe it was like 989 if I remember correctly). I was stunned.

Now I'm at the same body fat, 10 lbs heavier and I easily consume well over 2500 calories per day. I would bet that my RMR is closer to 1700 now. My GoWearFit (like a body bugg) tells me that on non-exercise days, I burn about 1700 - 1800 calories.

That test showed me how badly I had damaged my metabolism with strict dieting and excessive exercise!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Funny, most charts tell me that at my size, I'd have to starve myself continuously to maintain the weight I am at. I know I eat at least 2,000 calories a day and probably around 2,500 on days I ride or run. If it's a really hard ride, like the climbing i did last weekend, it might be 3,000 . My weight stays within 4 lbs if I exercise the way I usually do; my body fat is always around 18%. I definitely could not eat < 1,000 calories a day!
    Maybe it has to do with the type of food I eat? I don't work out the way some of you guys do, but I think it would probably be rated as more than "active" than some of these calculations use.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I actually had it done at my gym quite a number of years ago. Frankly, the results were rather shocking. At the time, I was on a very strict, low cal, high exercise diet. I had a 19% body fat (same as right now, actually). My RMR was less than 1000 calories (I believe it was like 989 if I remember correctly). I was stunned.

Now I'm at the same body fat, 10 lbs heavier and I easily consume well over 2500 calories per day. I would bet that my RMR is closer to 1700 now. My GoWearFit (like a body bugg) tells me that on non-exercise days, I burn about 1700 - 1800 calories.

That test showed me how badly I had damaged my metabolism with strict dieting and excessive exercise!
    That is a really interesting thought... and one I had forgotten about...

When I lost my most major weight, I ditched the three meals a day plan. Lots of smaller meals throughout the day is how I continue to eat. Actually, I think I eat constantly sometimes lol. BUT, it does probably help my metabolism keep going... as my body does not sense famine. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Funny, most charts tell me that at my size, I'd have to starve myself continuously to maintain the weight I am at. I know I eat at least 2,000 calories a day and probably around 2,500 on days I ride or run. If it's a really hard ride, like the climbing i did last weekend, it might be 3,000 . My weight stays within 4 lbs if I exercise the way I usually do; my body fat is always around 18%. I definitely could not eat < 1,000 calories a day!
    Maybe it has to do with the type of food I eat? I don't work out the way some of you guys do, but I think it would probably be rated as more than "active" than some of these calculations use.
    I know, me too...

I've even added in the calories for activity level guesses on charts, and thought... omg, really? are you kidding me?? I just ate that much in the day and we've got a while to go until it's over.