Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Road Bike Regrets?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wondering if there are any women who regretted buying a road bike. Maybe found out it wasn't for them. All I've been reading are positive experiences. I'm still debating whether to make the transition from a comfort hybrid to an entry-level road bike. As a pre-teen, years ago, I did have a 10-speed.

I've been commuting for years on a mtb, and I bought a used road bike this summer.

I most certainly don't regret buying my road bike, but I am very happy I still have my commuter bike, and at the moment, my dhs old bike to use for hopping around in the woods. There's a reason "everybody" here uses mtb for everyday use, they are more practical and robust.

And I'm happy I haven't dropped lots of money on buying a road bike. I think if I'd spent loads on a really, really nice bike I'd be feeling I should be using it more than just for whizzing around for fun a couple of days a week.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

No real regrets, but in retrospect it would have been more sensible to have bought a nice commuter-worthy roadbike first (capable of having fenders, racks, etc), and then bought the light fun racy bike second. I spend a lot more time on the commuter bike these days. But they're both road bikes so... I don't suppose that answers your question.

For me, the switch from mountain/hybrid to road was amazing. No going back, even my clunky commuter bike is so much lighter and faster.

I went used, and regret not having a couple thousand to get a new one.

No really, I kept the mountain/hybrid, and still use it occasionally, but I much prefer the roadie.

My roadie has wider tires/wheels than most. It was built hybrid style. This was great at first but now I am looking at upgrading the wheels.

I didn't "go" from one to the other. I had a hybrid, and then got a road bike. I still have the hybrid and it's my commuter. My road bike has clipless pedals and is intended for long weekend rides, but my commuter has two sided pedals, a more comfortable seat, racks and fenders and I can just hop on it, no matter how I'm dressed, to run errands or commute. I like having both, but I certainly am glad I don't have a road bike exclusively. Guess it depends on how you intend to use it.

There are also bikes that give you the best of both worlds, like a touring bike. I"m always going to the Rivendell pages just to dream, or you can look at LisaSh's bike on her site. Mmmmm....some day!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

No regrets about the road bike, either. I love the road bike. When I bought the hybrid I would never have believed that the road bike was more comfortable for long rides.

If I have a regret is that I wasn't reading these forums before I bought the road bike. Although I found a good bike shop and got a good bike, after learning so much here, I probably would have done a few things differently.

NO regrets about the road bike, but do have regrets about the mtb. Thought it'd be something I'd like, but no so much. Am working on switching it to a commuter.
    Paige

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

I have two "road" bikes (both are cyclocross bikes). One is a compact double and set up with clipless and narrower tires and a computer, no fenders/rack. It's my fast bike. The other is a triple and has full commuter kit and lights and wider tires and will soon have honkin' huge platform BMX pedals just cuz I like them.

Anything I'd've done with my hybrid I can do with my cx commuter. Except she's still too new for me to feel comfortable locking her up to an outside rack while I go grocery shopping. I fret...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

What kind of riding do you do?
    Do you commute?
    How many miles per week do you ride?
    Like Uforgot said, it depends on how you want to use it.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by la bicicleta View Post
    Just wondering if there are any women who regretted buying a road bike. Maybe found out it wasn't for them. All I've been reading are positive experiences. I'm still debating whether to make the transition from a comfort hybrid to an entry-level road bike. As a pre-teen, years ago, I did have a 10-speed.

Is there a reason you want to make the transition?..ie...you want to go faster?...you want a lighter weight bike?....you plan on increasing your miles?
    If you like the comfort hybrid and it's working for you - there's no reason to make the change.

I started commuting on a hybrid and switched to a road bike as soon as I could afford one because I Really Like Going Fast!!!! Especially going downhill! I've since sold my hybrid to a friend who is very happy tooling around on it and that's enough for him! They're both happy!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

To answer your question though, I'm sort of having regrets.
    Not too bad though. If I had known then what I know now I'd go for a cross or touring bike so I could have a lighter road bike (anything would be lighter than my 1990 MTB behemoth) and a bike that I could ride on our local canal towpath.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I hadn't been on a bike in over 20 years and even back then didn't ride much. I was ten and had a kids BMX bike

I bought an entry level road bike as my first bike (specialized dolce) and my only regret is not spending more and getting something a little nicer. Oh, my other regret is that I can't ride as much due to this damn job I have

I somewhat regret getting a road bike. I started out on a hybrid, and traded up a few weeks later (thanks, Performance!) to a comfort road bike. The main problem that appeared once I switched was hand pain! I have carpal tunnel already, so that added pressure on my hands was bad news. I believe I also gave myself tennis elbow on the left during my first ride on the road bike - putting my front weight on my left hand while i grabbed the camel back straw... I added two handle-bar extenders so now it "looks" like a hybrid with its upright seating, but has thinner wheels (still not super thin or slick, though, as it's a "comfort" road bike), is lighter, and has WAY better gearing.
    My new biking mantra:
    I am attached to my bike. If I start to slow down, I need to unclip. If I do not unclip, I will fall. If I unclip, I will hurt myself less if I do fall.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    To answer your question though, I'm sort of having regrets.
    Not too bad though. If I had known then what I know now I'd go for a cross or touring bike so I could have a lighter road bike (anything would be lighter than my 1990 MTB behemoth) and a bike that I could ride on our local canal towpath.
    I'm with zen...I'm thinking that a cross\tour bike would have been a better choice. We have a lot of bad roads and louse gravel and sandy soil. The wider tires and longer wheel would be nice.

I do not regret giving up the hybrid.

No way! No regrets here!

I don't regret getting a road bike one bit. But, as a previous poster mentioned, I do lust after a bike more set up for touring with racks and fenders. My road bike is a little too racy. But I love it!!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896