Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bummed

Bummed

To disable ads, please log-in.

Things have gotten really tight for us financially. I just called and cancelled our annual Memorial Day weekend trip and a special girls weekend to Chicago I had planned with DD. I also cancelled DS 1 year pictures. I'm going to take them myself so I'll have them on my computer, when we have some money I can get prints.

I know these are really small things in the scheme of it all. I don't know why I'm so bummed about it. I must be hormonal.

Sounds like a bona fide bummer to me!

It also sounds like you're making reasonable adjustments and that you'll figure out plenty of ways to have a good time while you muddle through.

During one lousy economic time, I heard someone say he was "riding the crest of the trough" and that phrase still makes me smile.

I understand that completely; we are trying to cut costs everywhere possible. Heck, today I learned how to express my dog's anal glands to save money rather than going to Petco. Not a fun thing to do.
    ~ Tanis

Every little thing adds up, believe me. I gave up a lot of things the past two years to dig out of my hole, but I am SO glad I did it now. I sleep much better at night. On the other hand, I have family that's in a deep hole and doing very little to get out of it. I don't buy the "Well I'll never pay it all off, so what's a cup of coffee or dinner out?" Um, it's that much more that could have gone towards paying bills. You've got the right mindset and at some point you'll be able to look back and know you did the right thing for your family.

We're in the same boat, Limewave. For the first time in 9 years, hubby isn't riding the STP. We're not doing any supported rides this year, and I'm selling my bikes I don't use that often (sold the mixte last Saturday, putting the Schwinn up for sale today or tomorrow). We're following Dave Ramsey's money makeover plan to get out of debt once and for all. It was really scary looking at how much of our money is being handed over to credit card companies, but now that we have a plan things don't look so bleak. I figure a few sacrifices now will let me buy a REALLY nice bike in a few years...with CASH!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

That is a bummer! I hope things get better for you ASAP. However, I wanted to say that I think you are really smart. A lot of people don't realize how every thing adds up. They would continue to spend (via credit cards) and dig themselves even further into debt. At least you are taking a proactive approach. Hang in there.

Aw. Hang in there. Hope it gets better soon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Awww...I'm sorry. But I think you are handling it so wisely. Things will turn around and you won't be up to your eyeballs in debt when they do.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

+1 on what NoNo said. It hurts in the short run but in the long run it will be a relief and pay off for you.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

I was sad about taking away some fun things for the kids: the camping, the Chicago trip. But, after thinking about it, they will love just camping in our backyard. There are so many wonderful and fun things to do and explore in our town that are free or very inexpensive. We will have a fun time I guess I'm just experiencing the opposite of growing pains when it comes to our finances.

Check out which state parks are nearby for camping.
    There are quite a few near near me that offer camping, swimming, hiking, kayaking and mtb'ing
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I was sad about taking away some fun things for the kids: the camping, the Chicago trip. But, after thinking about it, they will love just camping in our backyard. There are so many wonderful and fun things to do and explore in our town that are free or very inexpensive. We will have a fun time I guess I'm just experiencing the opposite of growing pains when it comes to our finances.
    I was an adult before I found out that my family camped to save money. I loved camping and had absolutely no idea that it was the economical choice. To this day, camping is my favorite vacation.

I'm sure it's not easy, and I don't have children. But based on my parents' wonderful example, I'm betting your family can and will have a great summer doing the fun things you have mentioned.

Hang in there, Lime! I know it's tough but it's not permanent. You have been blessed with the important things in life and those can't be bought--things like your family, your health, and people that love you. You are a very rich person.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    Things have gotten really tight for us financially.
    It's really a tough economy right now. As you work through your financial goals you may be amazed at your creative means to spend quality time with your family. You may find that some of the most memorable moments in life are free.