Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Can someone plz help me find my motivation??!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to be SO into cycling, riding four sometimes even six times a week. Then my husband took up the sport and I got an ankle injury around the same time. While I was healing from my injury, my husband really caught the bug and is now cycling OBSESSED. Instead of being happy that we have a common interest however, I now find myself lacking any motivation to ride. Cycling used to be MY thing--and now he's faster than me which sucks.

On top of that, we recently moved and I no longer have my familiar routes on which to ride. The cycling club around here rides at a minimum of 18 mph on average and, because I'm just getting back into it, I'm not ready for a 35 mile ride at that speed yet. So, no group rides. In summation, I have lost my cycling mojo, my familiar routes and old friends to ride with. How can I get out of this rut??
    She's going the distance...

[COLOR="Red"]
    '14 Orbea Orca Dama, Specialized Jett
    '10 Giant Avail
    '87 Schwinn Cimarron, Brooks B17
    Trek mountain bike...don't know what year

I think your motivation has gone on holiday, with mine. They're sunning it up in Barbados, with a drink in hand and a good book...

I took my trail bike out for a spin a few days back. Nope, bottom bracket bearing is failing. Tried taking it out today, but it's a new type of bearing and I don't have the right tool. My commuter bike needs new brakes in back, and the front brake is making thumping sounds. Ok, that I can fix - except there isn't really a wobble in the wheel so there's nothing to true. At least my road bike is all checked over and ready to go. But it's supposed to rain all week, and I don't liking riding that aggressively in traffic in poor conditions... erk. Why can't things just work. I want my own butler/mechanic.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've been where to you are now, since I moved to different province/city. I just returned from Vancouver and miss the weather, better cycling infrastructure for year round cycling.

What did surprise me was this: For most of this winter I've been doing short rides because of much colder temp. average -15 to -20 degrees C, sometimes snow and ice which in the end results in rides 8-20 km. each time.

I worried that I couldn't deal with longer distances and some hills in Vancouver. However I think my dinky winter rides and 'hardening' my body to much colder temp. for winter cycling, helped keep some cycling fitness. At least, helped maintain cycling muscle memory and self-encouraging steps to be patient with oneself while on the bike. When I was doing Vancouver hills, I kept telling myself: You've cycled at bloody cold winter temp., so get up that hill. Slow and easy up the hill....

Ignore your hubby and try cycling for transportation ...ie. errands/utilty rides that get you on the bike and help you weave cycling back into your life so that you enjoy at your pace, yet at the end of ride, have accomplished something ....shopping, etc. I found this helpful..after all I'm car-free and I MUST get groceries, do errands. I bike to work whenever the weather suits me now.

By the way, welcome back to TE forums.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-15-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Sounds like you are comparing yourself to everyone else, all of whom are faster in your eyes.

How about not thinking about them and just go on exploratory rides. You can learn your new area that way without having to go on a club ride. You could also find out if there are others your speed--I bet there are and they are intimidated by the fast club rides.

Running errands and commuting by bike are great ways to get where you need to go and learn the lay of the land in your new place.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Sounds like you are comparing yourself to everyone else, all of whom are faster in your eyes.

How about not thinking about them and just go on exploratory rides. You can learn your new area that way without having to go on a club ride. You could also find out if there are others your speed--I bet there are and they are intimidated by the fast club rides.

Running errands and commuting by bike are great ways to get where you need to go and learn the lay of the land in your new place.
    +1 to all of this. I've lived here for years, but never really knew the roads and trails until I started riding. If it takes a while longer to come back from vacation, so be it.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

I have gone through something similar with other hobbies and my hubby. He is uber focused and intense and it took all the fun out for me. When I realized what I was missing, I let him know that sometimes I have to do it on my own and in my own way. I am much happier now!

I second going on some errands. I moved 3 years ago to an area that is not bike friendly and doesn't have pretty routes to take. I just do loops for a quick ride with my dog and run some errands. For bigger rides, I drive out to a nicer area or metro park. The mojo will come back when you start looking for fun.

I had the same problem. I got involved, he got involved, and then it became a competition. I like to ride. I've never been a competer.

Check on the internet site: "Meetup.com." There are a lot of groups that ride that post rides there. My area has three. I belong to all three and can usually find a ride to go on. Some are no drop rides which is good cause I am not really too fast.

There also might be a lcal bike club you could join. In Minneapolis, there is the TCBC Bike. It sponsors rides at any level and has lots of fun events.

You could also get the maps of where the clubs rides. Even despite the fact that you would not be riding with them.

Usually those routes are studied for traffic patterns and would take out some of the learning curve of finding new "good roads" to ride on where you live now.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    How's it going buffy?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.