Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Lipoma removal from breast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I got a call from The Rose where I had my breast biopsy on Monday the 16th. I was expecting it to be benign (which it was, thankfully.) The lady said, "The results are benign, but the radiologist is recommending you make an appointment with your gyn for a referral to a breast surgery so that the lipoma can be removed and the doctor will explain why."

I'm guessing they want it removed because it has been causing pain (though the pain is a lot less now) and it's relatively large. I'm guessing about 4cm long and about half that much wide. That's just a guess from what I can feel.

I have a friend who is a NP at MD Anderson Cancer Center in the breast cancer section and she's advised that it's a pretty simple outpatient surgery where mine is located (way upper left on the left breast.) She said it would do it like a lumpectomy and I should only have a 2 or 3 day recovery period.

I'm guessing lipomas can be hereditary. My mom had one in her leg (that they had to remove) and one on her stomach and my sister has one on her stomach. I have a small one in my other breast that I guess I have to go have checked in 6 months to make sure it's not doing anything funny. Until all this I had never heard of lipomas, neither my mom or my sister had ever mentioned them.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I would do it. I mine hurts, following my cycle, so it gets very painful every month. Plus, wearing a bra aggravates it due to its location. It's 2.2 cm. I think I'll ask about removal during my 6 month follow-up.

Glad it's benign. I was a little concerned, though I thought it sounded like it would be okay.
    I plan on getting it done for sure. I have no desire to go through that pain again, which I'm sure will happen when my cycle comes around again. I've met my ridiculously high deductible, so there's no sense in putting it off. Better to just get it over with. I don't like the idea of general anesthesia, but I'll suck it up.

I'd definitely ask about it if it's giving you any kind of grief. There's no reason why you should have to put up with that. Plus if you have it removed that's one less thing you have to follow up on. Too bad there's a "friend" in the other breast, otherwise I could skip the every six months shenanigans

The soonest I could get into the gyn was next Friday. I'd love to have this taken care of before I go to Colorado for my mom's birthday in April, but I'm kind of doubting that's going to happen.
    Last edited by thekarens; 03-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    2013 Electra Verse

So glad it's benign. Are you sure they can't do the surgery under a local? General anesthesia is very, very scary.

2-3 days recovery to being able to bike is probably reasonable (assuming the cognitive effects of the anesthesia don't preclude it). Plan on quite a bit longer if you do any other sports, minimum of a month for anything that requires using your arms much (aerobics, racquet sports, golf eg). And, my yoga teacher/RN emphasizes that you should not do yoga with stitches in - she wouldn't even let me come to class until I got my stitches out after having a mole removed.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-19-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    So glad it's benign. Are you sure they can't do the surgery under a local? General anesthesia is very, very scary.

2-3 days recovery to being able to bike is probably reasonable (assuming the cognitive effects of the anesthesia don't preclude it). Plan on quite a bit longer if you do any other sports, minimum of a month for anything that requires using your arms much (aerobics, racquet sports, golf eg). And, my yoga teacher/RN emphasizes that you should not do yoga with stitches in - she wouldn't even let me come to class until I got my stitches out after having a mole removed.
    I don't know for absolute certainty until I see the surgeon. Lipomas in any other area would be a local, but this one tends to float around in my breast. You should have seen them trying to do the biopsy. They had my breast all taped down and it was like a video game with her trying to get to it, it kept moving around.

However, I was reading the surgeon's bio and it says she specializes in the least invasive techniques, so maybe she's got a trick up her sleeve that she could do it under a local.

I can guarantee I have zero desire for general anesthesia and would do anything required to do it locally.

Cycling and walking/jogging are the only sports I do.
    2013 Electra Verse

My partner had the same reaction to general anesthesia after her hysterectomy. It's not inspiring me to want to try it.

My biopsy was done at The Rose, which was started specifically to provide affordable screenings for women. One of the original radiologists is the one that did my biopsy. When I sit up you can feel it right near my arm pit, but when I laid down it disappeared so they rolled me on my side, but it was still a challenge for her to get it since it kept rolling away.
    2013 Electra Verse

Wishing you a quick resolving of this and hope it goes easily, whatever you and your medical peeps decide!

Thanks Catrin!
    2013 Electra Verse

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    My partner had the same reaction to general anesthesia after her hysterectomy. It's not inspiring me to want to try it.

My biopsy was done at The Rose, which was started specifically to provide affordable screenings for women.
    I've heard wonderful things about The Rose. Several friends of mine do fundraising for The Rose -- "Jump for the Rose" and the friend that runs "Jump for the Rose" is quite inspirational (and was helped at the Rose). I donate every year to their fundraiser (I haven't jumped in it yet) so its awesome to its work!

I hope the surgery goes better than the biopsy. Good luck!
    Last edited by Aromig; 03-20-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    I've heard wonderful things about The Rose. Several friends of mine do fundraising for The Rose -- "Jump for the Rose" and the friend that runs "Jump for the Rose" is quite inspirational (and was helped at the Rose). I donate every year to their fundraiser (I haven't jumped in it yet) so its awesome to its work!

I hope the surgery goes better than the biopsy. Good luck!
    The people there are fantastic. Very kind and understanding. It's also nice that after a diagnostic mammo and/or ultrasound The radiologist comes in right then to give you the results and answer any questions you have so you don't have to wait and stress.

They also have a mobile clinic and come to our office every year for preventative mammos, which is how I started with them.

I'll be going back to them in 6 months so they can oogle the other lipoma ☺
    2013 Electra Verse

Interesting. I know that lipomas are very common in dogs, at least certain breeds. Our first Boston Terrier had several, and a couple of them became large enough that the vet recommended removing them, and we did. Did not really know that they could occur in humans, but I guess you learn something new every day.

I actually don't mind general anesthesia. Have had it several times over the years for various surgeries, and I've never had a problem. I actually prefer being knocked out because I am a wimp and don't really want to be conscious and hear them talking about what they're doing to my body.

Good luck, thekarens!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks Emily! Until this adventure I had never even heard of lipomas. When I told my mom and sister that's when they told me about theirs. I didn't know dogs got them, but it makes sense.
    2013 Electra Verse