Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Potluck suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a handful of potlucks coming up and need some new inspiration for good dishes to bring. I prefer vegetarian dishes because (1) I have a lot of vegetarian/vegan friends, and (2) I'm often asked to bring something to supplement a grilled protein. My go-to dish is a basmati rice, three-bean, sweet pepper salad dressed in rice wine vinegar and served at room temperature. I love it, as does everyone who's had it, but I need a few other tricks up my sleeve.

If you have any suggestions, please throw 'em my way. I'd prefer dishes that don't have dairy because keeping them at a proper temp is always a concern.

Thanks in advance!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/03/30/spr...d-apple-salad/

This is a nice salad. It makes a pretty good side dish.
    Lucy 2012 Surly Cross Check
    Sally 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite
    Peppermint Patty 2009 Trek 4500 WSD
    Marcie 2008 Giant Sedona
    Violet 1994 Norco Kokanee

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    fresh baked bread. Always a hit.

Re: Potluck suggestions?

I would probably take a fresh Strawberry and pineapple salad. Easy Peasy! Chop up the fresh fruit, mix in some raisins and let it sit in the fridge at least overnight so the flavors can mingle. Simple, no added sugar, very refreshing & always popular.

I don't care for citrus and love berries so that led to this simple yet delicious replacement for a summer fruit salad.

I brought this butternut squash and green bean salad to the last potluck I went to and it was a big hit. I didn't use the bed of baby greens, just the cooked vegetables. It probably helped that the veggies were right out of my garden.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I brought this butternut squash and green bean salad to the last potluck I went to and it was a big hit. I didn't use the bed of baby greens, just the cooked vegetables. It probably helped that the veggies were right out of my garden.
    The recipe says to serve it immediately after roasting the squash. Did you reheat it or just serve it at room temp/cold? And I assume you waited to dress it until you were ready to serve....

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. Keep 'em coming.

I really need to take a look at my go-to food blogs for some suggestions, too. Smitten Kitchen has some good summer salad recipes
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I've made this before and it's a big hit. Can be served cold or room temperature:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/04/quinoa...k-beans-mango/
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    The recipe says to serve it immediately after roasting the squash. Did you reheat it or just serve it at room temp/cold? And I assume you waited to dress it until you were ready to serve....
    I served it room temperature. I thought that's what the recipe called for. I dressed it just before I left the house, so it was probably a couple of hours before serving, and I didn't notice any weird colors, too-strong flavors soaking in, anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    I've made this before and it's a big hit. Can be served cold or room temperature:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/04/quinoa...k-beans-mango/
    Too funny. I made a similar dish a couple of years ago. I don't know what I did wrong, but it was so awful. It called for orange juice if I recall correctly and it turned out super soggy. Maybe I should try this recipe instead as it appears to call for less dressing/liquids. It otherwise has all the elements I like in a side dish.

And, Oak, thanks for clarifying.

I wonder what produce our local farmers markets have right now. I had a beet and citrus salad the other day that I really want to recreate. Thanks for the inspiration, TEers!

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Several of our local farmers had beets last week. Your weather probably hasn't been much different from ours. I'm eating beet greens right now. Had the baby roots raw with lemon juice and walnut oil a couple of days ago, yum. Lots of green onions, some spring greens, one farmer even had broccoli. I guess there might be a chance of snow peas this week.

I had these at a wedding once: You have to heat them up at the event though. Take mini pitas or slices of middle eastern flatbread, and sprinkle with marinated artichokes and feta cheese. For variety, you can add kalamata olives or tomato. It's quick and easy to assemble.

I have a couple other recipes but my cookbooks are packed away right now (we're getting ready for a big house project).
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

so I once had to provide a vegan/ gluten free/ nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant) free dish for a potluck and this is what I came up with -

shred fine 1 big bunch of kale
    chop a clove or two of garlic add to the kale along with olive oil
    massage the kale, garlic and oil with your hands until the kale is nice and soft (yes this is a bit messy)
    add a can of cooked garbanzos
    a cup or so quinoa, cooked (will turn into 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
    a couple of green onions white and green parts slice very fine
    lime juice to taste
    salt (if needed - taste it first - the garbanzos may bring enough to the dish) and pepper

- if you don't need to go vegan a really nice addition is crumbled feta - or you can just have it on the side too - if you do use it, definitely don't use any salt
    Last edited by Eden; 05-29-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

My favorite potluck dish right now is really similar to Eden's. It has more of a Middle Eastern flavor though with thinly sliced red onion, chopped dates, lemon juice instead of lime, chopped almonds or walnuts, and some sumac powder if available. I've also made the black bean and mango quinoa salad that VBC linked to and it's fantastic.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Thanks for all the ideas, gang. We went to a dinner party this weekend and brought an arugala, potato, green bean and walnut salad dressed in a Greek yogurt, champagne vinegar and walnut oil vinegarette. It was really good.

--Mary Anne Radmacher