Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Self supported through Northeat Kingdom/Canada coming up!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm leaving this weekend on my first self supported tour ever, and I'm truly excited! I finally finished the touring bike I have been building for a couple of years, and now am waiting for bags as well. I've opted for not using racks/panniers and instead use bags made by Relevate Designs and Phantom Pack instead. For me, it makes more sense because they will be lighter, and something that I can use on my touring or mountain bike.

We've chosen to ride in the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont and more than likely we'll cross over into Canada as well. Although we'll only be out there for 5 days, I'm truly looking forward to a mini break from the shop and getting out with a new bike and new gear

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I I've opted for not using racks/panniers and instead use bags made by Relevate Designs and Phantom Pack instead.

Interesting, so are you carrying your water on your back? wishing you no cross winds
    Have a wonderful time, look forward to hearing more
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

I'll carry my water in the tradional bottle cages, but unfortuantely may have to monitor the weather... looks like we could get some of the ramifications of the upcoming hurricane. I'll try and get some good photos to share

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I'll carry my water in the tradional bottle cages, but unfortuantely may have to monitor the weather... looks like we could get some of the ramifications of the upcoming hurricane. I'll try and get some good photos to share
    Have fun...but how are you going to have enough water if all you have is two water bottles? Is your route populated enough so that you are certain you can refill every time you need to? I am trying to not sound like your mom, and probably failing miserably...

Be safe with the weather, have fun, and looking forward to pictures

Hi Catrin,

Thanks for the concern! I truly don't think that we'll have any concerns about water/liquids. I guess worse case scenerio is that we use the steripen and filter water for the bootles or to cook with, but I really don't think that we'll have any issues. The main issue now is the hurricane, although it will hit way south of here, we are definitely supposed to have TONS of rain! Projections look like we may have to wait a couple of days to leave, but as you know, the weather changes quickly and often here... so we'll see what we are given.

Jackie

Well, I returned from my trip yesterday, and had a great time!! Hurricane Irene defintinitely made us start a couple of days later though... with 7" of rain, no electricity throughout New England and LOTS of roads completely wiped out.

I'll update the trip on my blog with photos and more detail in the next couple of days.

What can I say? I'm totally hooked on self contained touring, although if it has two wheels ... I'm Hooked!

check here if you're interested in more detail on the trip

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Congrats on your trip!! Glad the self-contained touring bug has bitten... it's a nice kind of bite!

Your bike is gorgeous- love Soma!!

I didn't see any details about the trip on that link, but it seems like you had a great time and really enjoyed yourself.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Tri Girl: As you can tell I have not updated the blog, but plan to do so either tonight or tomorrow. You're right, it's definitely an adventure to go self contained... and I'll definitely plan more in the future. My next step will be a mountain bike overnight.

After riding the Soma, I can without a doubt encourage others to try. Great quality, and the ride quality is very good as well. Do you own one as well?

Jackie

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I wish I owned one. Have ridden two friend's Somas and am in love. My next bike will be a Soma for sure!!!

Can't wait to read all about it!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

TRi Girl,

I have to admit that I was/am thoroughly pleased with how the Soma rides. After riding rough roads in Coaticook, and a few dirt roads here and there, I couldn't be more happy. After speaking with a couple of my customers, it seems that they too are anxious to "build" a bike, so I'm looking forward to that. Good luck in your build... it's definitely a fun process

There will be more updates on the blog, anything from the route, pictures and comparing the two different systems that we used in carrying everything... if you're interested.

Have a great fall; it is getting closer and closer to cold weather each and every day.

Jackie

i feel so excited for you! enjoy your trip and make sure to make every moment worthwhile!

Thank you! It was indeed a great trip and I have to admit that it definitely "hooked" me. I'm sure that I will be pouring over maps this winter looking for my next adventure!

Jackie