Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Oh wow, check out my bracelet from Susan (Mrs Fat Cyclist) Nelson!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Gang -

A couple of months ago Elden Nelson, aka Fat Cyclist, posted on his blog that his fabulous wife Susan was making lovely bracelets and those who donated X dollars to his Livestrong fundraiser might get in line to get one.

Well, being a big fan of Fatty & of Susan I was totally in on that! They are freakin' lovely bracelets, and my cheers and support go to Susan, as well as my good pal Cyndi, who I posted about on my blog couple of weeks back.

Now of course Susan could only make these when she was up to it, so I more-or-less got it out of my head, hoping that maybe I'd receive one by mid-July in time to wear on the Markleeville Death Ride, which I've been training for with TNT.

Well, as Alanis would say, Isn't it ironic? (dontcha think)

Much to my surprise, my own beautiful, wonderful bracelet arrived in the mail for me this week, while I was still in the hospital recuperating from my crash last Saturday. Yeah, the crash that's gonna keep me from riding the Death Ride after all. Dammit!

And Yay! Wow! The bracelet is beautiful, and means so much to me.

(hee hee, ignore the road rash, it'll go away soon enough..)

Waaay cooler than a yellow wristband, indeed! Win Susan! Win Cyndi!

I'm going to wear it all the time (within reason of course).

I'll wear it during my recuperation over the next few weeks, during my first tentative pedals back on the bike (probably on the trainer), and my baby steps back on the Road.

And I'll of course wear it on my first big event, possibly the Crater Lake Century in mid-August; hopefully I'll be back up to snuff by then.

And Susan and Fatty and Cyndi will be there every step of the way.

Thanks go to Susan & Fatty for motivating me a little bit more. Susan and Fatty totally rock!! And Cyndi too.

- Jo.
    Last edited by jobob; 04-05-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: misspelled Susan's last name in the title - it's Nelson. My bad!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    It's a beautiful bracelet!!!!
    I'd wear it all the time myself, as it's made by someone who knows the struggles personally and worn by someone who appreciates it on so many levels. Yippee!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Oh Jo that is just gorgeous. And yes, ironic! How beautiful they are and a reminder of those you know fighting for that win.

My family and I all wear the bracelet that is proudly displayed on my late kitty Bailey's head in my avatar. It says on it "Expect Miracles". As my sister will require a miracle to beat this thing, we like daily reminders that we are praying and hoping for one. Our first livestrong ride, my other sister said it was looking at that bracelet that helped her finish, reminding her of how much our sister and others face everyday and that a few hills on our bikes was nothing in comparison.

Enjoy your bracelet, and best of thoughts and prayers to your friend Cyndi!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Mine arrived this week, too. It was my Valentine's present from DH. I wear a Livestrong band 24/7 for my friend Lance and now I am honored to get to wear Susan's beautiful creation. I definitely can't wear it 24/7 for fear of pulling off the beads, but it will get lots of daylight wear.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bracelet.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	9016  

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    <<

And I'll of course wear it on my first big event, possibly the Crater Lake Century in mid-August; hopefully I'll be back up to snuff by then.
    >>
    Totally off-topic, but my BF and I were just talking about visiting Crater Lake, and this looks like a great ride - we're thinking about it. Is it worth a trip across the country? Looks like it from the pics!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Totally off-topic, but my BF and I were just talking about visiting Crater Lake, and this looks like a great ride - we're thinking about it. Is it worth a trip across the country? Looks like it from the pics!
    * I * think it is !!
    http://callmepokey.blogspot.com/2008...wonderful.html

aka_Kim, SadieKate, and melissam rode it with me & Leebob last year so they can chime in as well. The Bobs are doing it again this year and I believe many of the original gang are planning on it as well.

A freakin' gorgeous ride, demanding but not crazy-hard, and excellent support. Low rider limit so it sells out quick. The intensity of the gawdawful heat took the organizers (and the rest of us) a bit by surprise last year but it was very unusual and they'll no doubt be better prepared for it.

My only suggestion is to try to stay in Ft Klamath, where the ride starts, or as close to it as you can, rather than in Klamath Falls which is about 40 miles away. I haven't been to the campgrounds but I know there are at least a couple of campgrounds near the Ft. Klamath museum grounds, where the ride had started previously.

http://www.craterlakecentury.com/
    Last edited by jobob; 04-05-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Those are lovely bracelets, and such a great way to remember and honor those fighting on.

I plan to be back at Crater Lake this year. It was well worth the 6+ hours of driving from NorCal. Thanks jobob for the trip down memory lane with the link to your blog.

Those are gorgeous, what a great idea.

Pretty bracelets! I like them.

I am doing Crater Lake this year as well!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

Susan is "getting ready to leave". Elden is having a very hard time and has put out a call for help. Now is the time to send him a message of support. www.fatcyclist.com
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I can't believe he and Susan didn't make preparations while she could have made her wishes known. She is definitely at the end. I'm sure Fatty has many friends to help him through it, though.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I can't believe he and Susan didn't make preparations while she could have made her wishes known. She is definitely at the end. I'm sure Fatty has many friends to help him through it, though.
    Some things you don't want to think about when you're young. Denial is powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    Some things you don't want to think about when you're young. Denial is powerful.

And it might have seemed like giving up. Or being negative when positive thoughts might help.

So very sad. I don't think he's missing the big details of her wishes - just the "how to handle the logistics of this" details. No one plans for that (at least no one I know...)

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Yes, I've been reading Fatty's blog over the last week or two.

Not unexpected, but devastating nonetheless.

I'm not a praying person in the traditional sense, but if anyone needs prayers right now, it's Susan and Fatty and their kids.

Prayers that she will be able to go peacefully and with minimal pain, and prayers that he and their children can find the strength to cope and to carry on.

Gah, it sucks, bigtime.