Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bikamper bicycle tent?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I looked around but didn't find any previous mention of this in the forums--has anyone heard of the Topeak Bikamper before? My boyfriend, who has been researching getting into bicycle camping/touring just stumbled upon it on the REI website:
    http://www.rei.com/product/732405

A few things strike me as impractical: it lives on your handlebars, where I would imagine you'd want a much more immediately practical handlebar bag (I guess you wouldn't HAVE to keep the tent there while you were riding, but it would still force you to swap it out with your regular handlebar bag), and you can't have a pitched tent and a functional bicycle at the same time. Also, you think if they figured out all that crazy geometry, they could have included a way to keep your chain dry. Regardless, it's still kind of a neat idea... *shrug*

ETA: I'm just now noticing that all the provided pictures have mtb's. I wonder how/if it would work with drop bars. Interesting.
    Last edited by badgercat; 10-10-2008 at 10:14 PM.

Bikamper bicycle tent

I looked at this tent last year myself. After looking at it a bit, I ended realizing that I could buy a lighter weight tent simply by buying a backpacking tent. (which I already have) Great idea though!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That seems like a really cool idea! I think for mtn biking it would be more practical. Once you set up camp in the wilderness, it's not likely you would need your bike to do much- you could go hiking to explore, play, etc.
    However, with a road bike, when you set up camp, you might want to ride to the store, or go explore the area- and your bike would be all tied up (literally).
    Plus, for $200, you could get a really light freestanding backpacking tent (like ridebikeme said). I do like the idea, just not sure of the practical use for road touring.
    Just my thoughts. Thanks for posting that tho, as that's the first time I'd seen something like that. Pretty clever!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

If you go to topeak's website, they have a second version of the tent. It's slightly smaller, maybe 10 cm or so smaller... But, it's freestanding. It uses tubes for support. Like a mountain bike tube at one end and a small 16 insh ish one on the other end. You use a pump to inflate it. If you used it while mtn biking then the tube could be a spare for the bike. They say that you could use a patched tube for the tent too. Then it also has a few stakes and cables to tie it down too.

In the images that I've seen illustrating the tent, they show it on the handlebars or on top of a trunk rack.

I think that I too would look for a backpacking tent, though the bikamper models sound cool.

This tent looks interesting. I wonder how much it costs, though...
    i just threw a dollar store shower curtain secured by a couple of clothespins over my bike.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    i just threw a dollar store shower curtain secured by a couple of clothespins over my bike.
    I hope you didn't have much wind. Guess you didn't have to worry about condensation, though.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I hope you didn't have much wind. Guess you didn't have to worry about condensation, though.

Pam
    Not to use as a tent,is that what you thought? No,to keep my bike dry!
    I used a tent for me i

Not to use as a tent,is that what you thought? No,to keep my bike dry!
    I used a tent for me i
    Yes, that's what I thought. Must be time for bed. Glad you had a tent.

Pam

This tent looks nice for bike camping - freestanding with shelter for your bike also. http://www.rei.com/product/779410

Here's two photos of my bike and an 8x10 silnylon tarp turned into a very functional shelter. I did this in the back yard and haven't actually camped with it. It would be fine unless the bike was muddy, and then it might be messy crawling past the bike into the shelter.

On my last bike camping trip, I used a silshelter, which weighs 14 oz, plus 2 oz poles. It's a tent-shaped tarp, like a floorless tent. I also often use a hammock and tarp, no poles needed but it weighs more than the tarp alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yimg_2263.jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	8878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yimg_2255.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	8879  
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Here's a picture of my Silshelter on the C&O Canal trip. It was October so not much problem with bugs. I did have slugs on my gear one morning, though. If it had been summer, I would have brought my bug bivy http://www.trailspace.com/gear/adventure-16/bug-bivy/.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yimg_2754.jpg 
Views:	613 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	8881  

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Deb- that mountain hardware tent sure is pricey, but MAN what a great idea for touring!!!!! If I were going cross country I'd definitely snap that tent up. What a brilliant idea to not have to worry about the bike in the elements- and nice space for all the bags with it. Cool!
    I like the setup you had for your bike and what you used on the C&O.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

That mountain hardware tent is really neat. We spent about that much on our MH tent and they are so well made it was worth every penny. I am not sure I would for 1 person. We pretty much car camp and just put the bikes in the car for sleepy time but I like Deb's methods.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Here's a picture of my Silshelter on the C&O Canal trip. .
    But there's no fly or floor. If it rains you're SOL and
    I don't want snakes huddling next to me for warmth

But there's no fly or floor. If it rains you're SOL and
    I don't want snakes huddling next to me for warmth
    I was lucky I wasn't camping in the rain. My groundcloth was not much wider than my sleeping bag. I only saw one snake the whole trip, so wasn't too worried about that. It was sure nice to have light pannier.

This tent looks interesting. I wonder how much it costs, though...
    Wow, that looks nice. I googled it and found it for $300. Bit more than something from the dollar store, but worth it if you're doing a lot of touring or backpacking!

Sarah