Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking imdeanna's big adventure

To disable ads, please log-in.

I met imdeanna today. She's a tough cookie. She hooked up with a group of us to do a no drop ride not far from her home. She showed up with her new Trek (very sexy bike) and her DH. She didn't have time to get SPD's before the ride, so she did the whole thing with platform pedals and runners.

It was blowing wind like craaaaaaaaa-zeeeeeee. We started out east with the wind at our backs. At 5 miles I asked how she was doing, she was good... she looked good and we continued. At 10 miles we had to decide if it was time for her to turn back. She said she was good, she looked good and it really seemed like the best idea would be to complete the loop. You see... we live in The Gorge. The land of very strong winds. It's not windsurfing and kiteboarding mecca for no reason. We (the group) had to make a judgement call. Do we turn around and fight the wind for 10 miles on a downhill that would not help us at all or continue around the loop, climb the big hill and have at least some help coming down into the wind?

Deanna started to flag a little just before we hit the big hill. She managed to get up it and was very smart about taking breaks off of her bike and eating enough. She got up the hill (a total of about 900 feet climbing) and held out to get back home.

In total: 25 miles.

The amazing part... this was Deanna's first ride on a road bike ever, her first time out for any significant exercise in years!!

This is our ride.

I'm really impressed.

Hopefully she doesn't hate me in the morning.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Oh Wahine... you didn't I feel somehow partially responsible as I advised her to contact you on her intro thread. I guess I should have warned her that you are Yoda... goddess of TE and a 2007 IM winner. You kick azz and rock hard!!!!

Woohoo!!!! Way to go imdeanna. Do plenty of stretches and go sit in a hot bath tub before bed. You may only feel tired now but you are bound to be sore tomorrow. The hills and wind are nasty in The Gorge. Very proud of you and look forward to meeting you soon. Good luck and congrats on the new bike and the b!tchin' ride today.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    The amazing part... this was Deanna's first ride on a road bike ever, her first time out for any significant exercise in years!!
    Wahine, don't you know it's considered bad form to try to kill a new TE member on her very first road ride???

We usually wait until the second

Congratulations, Deanna, that's really impressive!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

imdeanna.....
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Wow, well impressed! What an initiation!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Go Deanna! What an amazing start!
    Bushranger

Doin' it for Ned

Dang, that rocks! Way to go!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Question the morning after??

Imdeanna - it's the morning after, how are you doing? Will you ride with Wahine ever again?
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Wahine, don't you know it's considered bad form to try to kill a new TE member on her very first road ride???

We usually wait until the second
    Well, that was my plan but the wind sort of messed it up.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Oh Wahine... you didn't I feel somehow partially responsible as I advised her to contact you on her intro thread. I guess I should have warned her that you are Yoda...
    No need to feel responsible. I had actually PM'd her (before you made the suggestion) to tell her about the beginnerish rides we'd been doing on the weekend. She didn't take me up on it. Then she got invited out for a ride with someone else... It turns out she was getting invited out for the same ride by a friend of mine so she ended up in my clutches anyway bwahaaaaaaaahaha!!

Deanna, how are you feeling this morning? I really do want to know.
    Last edited by Wahine; 03-31-2008 at 07:10 AM.

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

in ONE word??? "OUCH"!!!! :)

J/K! (seriously though!)

It was an AWESOME ride...and a HUGE milestone for me!! I was grinning the rest of the night proud of myself for finishing!!!

and how I'm feeling this morning? haha....well...I'm a bit nervous to walk down ANY stairs to quickly.....and won't even mention the 'neither' region!! but beyond that...I'm feeling great!

I have to say that EVERYONE on the ride made me feel so welcome, and really showed concern and gave lots of great advice to keep me going.
    Even poor Pam...who was about to give me advice on what gear I was in when her front wheel went off the road into soft gravel...taking her and her new bike down for their first scratch (Hope her finger is doing better....she kinda got hamburger finger from it)

and Yes...I would love to go ride with Wahine again!!!
    and I don't know if Carly post here or not...but I know she reads...so Thank you Carly for inviting me out!!!
    DeAnna

Never take life seriously.
    Nobody gets out alive anyway

Imdeana - Wonderful job! I'm glad that you enjoyed the ride and survived what Wahine(shakes finger) put you through.

Hey, Wahine, maybe you should take a look at her fit to make-up for torturing her? Sounds like she might need an adjustment on her saddle or something.

She made a few adjustments to mine on Saturday and I felt an immediate improvement afterwards. Thanks again, Wahine.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sgtiger View Post
    Imdeana - Wonderful job!

Hey, Wahine, maybe you should take a look at her fit to make-up for torturing her?
    Thanks Sgtiger!

She offered her services! and I would LOVE to take her up on a fitting!
    (name the wine and the time girl!!!)

I had a killer twing between my shoulders 2" below my neck, I think my handle bars need to be raised??

She did raise my seat for me on the ride
    DeAnna

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    This is really cool.....What kind of GPS computer do you use???

I love the idea of keeping track of all our rides like this!
    DeAnna

That's not even the coolest...imdeanna - did you see how Wahine's new bike matches her hair?

(oh she's gonna get me for that one... )
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne